Lubricating The Slideout

Discussion in 'Towing, Vehicles, Maintenance and Repairs' started by jmcf46, Aug 1, 2012.

1. jmcf46

jmcf46
    Expand Collapse

Bought a keystone 5th and the maintenance people told me not to lube the slideout since it will attract dirt to the teeth on the rails.

Checked with others and they said use dry lube the length of the 2 slideout rails. Soooo!
    which is correct? Slideout seems to work but seems like it takes abit more effort for the dirve motor to bring it in or out.

Jim

2. fpullanosr

fpullanosr
    Expand Collapse

Jim,

I have been using a slide out lubricant that I buy at Walmarts in the camping section. Have been very satisfied after 7 years of use about every other month.

In all that time I have not noticed any dirt accumulated in the gears.

If it seems that the slides are taking longer to close or open, it could be the sign of a weak battery or the motor may be wearing out.

3. jmcf46

jmcf46
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(fpullanosr @ Aug 1 2012, 04:16 PM) [snapback]30268[/snapback]

Jim,

I have been using a slide out lubricant that I buy at Walmarts in the camping section. Have been very satisfied after 7 years of use about every other month.

If it seems that the slides are taking longer to close or open, it could be the sign of a weak battery or the motor may be wearing out.

Thanks. I think I will try the dry lube. I don't think the motor is burning out since it is so new
    (6 mos).

4. RFCN2

RFCN2
    Expand Collapse

I have used the slide lube you can get in camping world or similar. I have also had our RV repair place lube ours. Not doing it can be expensive.

5. B. Kidd

B. Kidd
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(fpullanosr @ Aug 1 2012, 01:16 PM) [snapback]30268[/snapback]

Jim,

Ditto what u say and RFCN sez. I use it about every four months and dwell most of the time in the sandy/gritty southwest.

6. pkd31780

pkd31780
    Expand Collapse

I read somewhere that baby powder works well too. Since I am a "newbie" I was looking for input on this subject too.