What Are Your Pet Peeves Rv'ing?

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by imagardener, Aug 7, 2012.

1. DeckmanF

DeckmanF
    Expand Collapse

Bugs! They have been terrible this summer. We have been on the road for 2 months and I'm sick of them. We had biting flies in Newfoundland, mosquitos in Florida, ants in Alabama, no see ums, big black beetles....I'm sick and tired of all of them.

Every night I'm killing them. Ugh!

How do the rest of you cope?

Cheers, Dee

2. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

I agreed with most of the peeves, but will add one that seems to be disappearing. Pay showers.

Sharpe7tex likes this.
  3. NorthernIllinoisPlumber

NorthernIllinoisPlumber
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Aug 24 2012, 09:35 PM) [snapback]30792[/snapback]

I agreed with most of the peeves, but will add one that seems to be disappearing. Pay showers.

Because of pay showers, they wash their feet, and bodies in the hand sinks!

4. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

People driving for miles with their left blinker on from yesterday.

5. Luvtheroad

Luvtheroad
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Aug 24 2012, 08:35 PM) [snapback]30792[/snapback]

Apparently they've all moved to the east coast states. Lots of RV parks here, even the expensive ones, have pay showers. Ticks me off.

6. TrailerParkBoys

TrailerParkBoys
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(imagardener @ Aug 8 2012, 12:05 AM) [snapback]30394[/snapback]

Maybe it's the heat this summer but we have been getting grumpy lately in our 5th week on the road with 3 more to go.

Here are a couple of mine:

1. Rude neighbors. Just left a really nice RV park in Springdale UT with people next to us who not only used their picnic table but appropriated ours, which we do use, just not constantly. The clincher was coming back after dark and they had moved our table across the center of our site so we had to get out, drag it to the rear before we could hook-up. Grrrr. I wanted to leave them a note (in their language-French) but my husband talked me out of it. I did tell the park manager and she replied in one word "Europeans."

2. Smoky campfires. I guess it's un-American to say it but I hate them. In good weather we have to close our windows or inhale smoke which makes my head hurt, my eyes water and then cough. I have actually enjoyed "Fire Alerts" in national parks to prevent people from making camp fires. I like breathing fresh unpolluted air outdoors.

3. Tailgaters on national park roads (both cars and other RV's). My next rear window sticker will say "The closer you tailgate the slower I'll drive". Do they think our RV stops on a dime? I pull over as often as possible to let them pass but there is always someone new. I am not a slow driver BTW just not a speeder.

So what gets to you? (Don't give me a hard time about #2 peeve, I had asthma and still have allergies. Breathing is important to me).

People who cannot control their animals... Especially when their dogs bark all night long at noises!! God that drives me insane.

7. Wydglide

Wydglide
    Expand Collapse

Words to live by. People need to live and let live I say.

8. RaineeeDaze

RaineeeDaze
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Nolan @ Aug 8 2012, 06:27 PM) [snapback]30427[/snapback]

Number One. The worst Pet Peeve!!! Barking dog(s) Screaming kids no problem. But dog(s) barking I hate the most.

Number Two. Why do people have to listen to a radio or TV outside? And why is it always so loud I can hear it inside my trailer with the windows closed? I have no interest in listening to your music or TV. I have my own.

This one has to do with driving the car. It doesn't bother me when driving the truck or when pulling the trailer.

Number Three. Other drivers pulling up 3 feet or less from the bumper of our car at a stop light. I give the driver ahead of me plenty of room. You can get another car between me and the car in front of me at times. So I try to pull forward a couple feet just to have the driver behind me pull up too. Sometimes even closer. :huh:

Big rigs with those outdoor entertainment centers and TVs should be required to stay at least a half mile from any other camper. Keep the TV inside where it doesn't bother those around you!!!

9. Gayle E.

Gayle E.
    Expand Collapse

Getting fuel at a busy station and going inside to pay without moving their vehicle. Had that happen today. Look around, pay attention, and get a clue!

10. rkw99

rkw99
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Gayle E. @ Aug 29 2012, 08:52 PM) [snapback]30882[/snapback]

Getting fuel at a busy station and going inside to pay without moving their vehicle. Had that happen today. Look around, pay attention, and get a clue!

I would never think to move my vehicle before paying. To me that would be like walking out of a store without paying for merchandise. Wouldn't you run the risk of being accused of theft. I actually have not seen a station that lets you pump without paying first in years. Of course, here in NJ, we don't pump our own gas. I've traveled up and down the east coast and you have to pay first around here.....

11. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

In our area, many stations do a discount of about 4 cents or so for cash. If you want the discount, you have to go in first and give them say $75 and they set the pump to stop at that.

12. joez

joez
    Expand Collapse

I would never think to move my vehicle before paying. To me that would be like walking out of a store without paying for merchandise. Wouldn't you run the risk of being accused of theft.

It is normally considered extremely bad behavior when using truck diesel fuel lanes to not pull forward after fueling to allow the vehicle behind you access while you finish your transaction. Even at RV pumps like at Flying J rvs could pull forward instead of leaving their vehicle sit while they are inside buying candy bars and sodas.

13. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(joez @ Sep 4 2012, 07:24 PM) [snapback]30973[/snapback]

It is normally considered extremely bad behavior when using truck diesel fuel lanes to not pull forward after fueling to allow the vehicle behind you access while you finish your transaction. Even at RV pumps like at Flying J rvs could pull forward instead of leaving their vehicle sit while they are inside buying candy bars and sodas.

At truck stops it is not only bad behavior but the management expects you to move forward. It takes time to do some of those transactions and the line for fuel could really back up if you didn't pull up so the next truck could get started.

rkw, you don't go park, you just pull forward far enough so that the RV/truck behind you can get started with their fill up.

14. vincee

vincee
    Expand Collapse

Of my three peeves I listed, I must confess to having a fourth, campgrounds that charge to dump your tanks. Add it to the cost of camping and spread it out to all of the CG's campers and the increase would only be a buck or so more.

15. TranQuilguy

TranQuilguy
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(vincee @ Sep 5 2012, 03:50 PM) [snapback]30991[/snapback]

Of my three peeves I listed, I must confess to having a fourth, campgrounds that charge to dump your tanks. Add it to the cost of camping and spread it out to all of the CG's campers and the increase would only be a buck or so more.

:eek: Help me understand please ,you are saying the camp ground charges more to dump ?Or are you saying driving up to a RV park and asking to dump your tanks should be free?

I agree with the first 3 :angry:

16. GandJ

GandJ
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Sep 4 2012, 12:13 PM) [snapback]30972[/snapback]

In our area, many stations do a discount of about 4 cents or so for cash. If you want the discount, you have to go in first and give them say $75 and they set the pump to stop at that.

Yes, we always pull ahead before going inside, if there is space to safely do so. But....

A friend did a cash pre-pay and didn't reach the amount the fuel station required him to leave at the desk - $75. After filling, he pulled ahead so the next person could start their transaction.

The fuel attendant told him that because the pump had been re-set by the person
    he pulled ahead for, he wasn't due change as he couldn't prove he didn't put the
    entire $75 in the tank.

It was only a few dollars, but still..... an expensive cash discount.

When a person goes inside without pulling forward, you really don't know if they've gone in to buy sodas, get their change or get help because the pump malfunctioned and they need a receipt in order to get reimbursed by their company.

17. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

QUOTE(GandJ @ Sep 6 2012, 02:54 PM) [snapback]31003[/snapback]

The fuel attendant told him that because the pump had been re-set by the person
    he pulled ahead for, he wasn't due change as he couldn't prove he didn't put the
    entire $75 in the tank.

Maybe not all gas stations are set up the same way, but there have been several times when the attendant has called up our amount even it if was 2-3 transactions back. I would bet the attendant didn’t know how to do it, or he/she was being dishonest.

18. MaineDon

MaineDon
    Expand Collapse

Although I posted earlier on this thread, can I add another pet peeve? Hope so. Those horrible, RV- user unfriendly, gas stations, with pumps positioned to the building/parking spaces so that your need a "wing-and-a-prayer" to get out under the best of circumstances, or you need to wait, wait, wait wait, wait....for the cars who are blocking your exit to leave, allowing you to finally do the same. Who designs some of these places? Yes, we can back up....but only when others are not lined up behind waiting to fill up. Bad experiences for us here on the the Trans Canada (northern route), central/southern NM, and coming off very remote Cape Breton Island. In each case, we were Thankful to just find a place to fill up; but not in love with the gas station layout for handling anything but an individual car.

19. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(MaineDon @ Sep 6 2012, 03:13 PM) [snapback]31008[/snapback]

Although I posted earlier on this thread, can I add another pet peeve? Hope so. Those horrible, RV- user unfriendly, gas stations...

A big AMEN to that one!
    B)

20. KentuckyCampin

KentuckyCampin
    Expand Collapse

Wow, lots of pet peeves, and I share the majority of them too!!!! LOL
    My top 3 though:
    1. Barking dogs
    2. People who pitch a tent on your campsite - We have had this happen a few times now. mostly with campers who have 3 or 4 tents on their site and dont have enough room. I have had to ask 2 of them to move off site. Camp etiquette is not understood by all, and if you dont have enough room, then go purchase another site. Dont just figure it is ok to put your tent on my site! Unless of course you will reimburse me for half of the price!
    3. People speeding through campgrounds.