Scooter Carriers On 5th Wheelers

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by jmcf46, Aug 17, 2012.

1. jmcf46

jmcf46
    Expand Collapse

I just bought a honda elite scooter to get around in cheaply. I still have to figure out what type of carrier I can get for the back of the 5th wheeler.
    The weight of the scooter is 250 lbs. so I think it would be alright to put on the back of the trailer but could use some advice on the safety and weight limits allowed.

Jim

2. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

My scooter weighs 130 lb. The scooter carrier I had before the one I have now was able to support 600 pounds. I bought it from some company in Maryland.

Now I have a Blue Ox Carrier. It's meant for "physically challenged" scooters, but I got it because it "folds up" when not in use. A friend of mine put rails on it, so my bike stays steady while on it.

3. jmcf46

jmcf46
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Aug 18 2012, 12:53 AM) [snapback]30669[/snapback]

My scooter weighs 130 lb. The scooter carrier I had before the one I have now was able to support 600 pounds. I bought it from some company in Maryland.

Now I have a Blue Ox Carrier. It's meant for "physically challenged" scooters, but I got it because it "folds up" when not in use. A friend of mine put rails on it, so my bike stays steady while on it.

Thanks for the info. Do you have the carrier attached to the rear of you 5th wheeler? Does it tow well (no sway etc.)?

4. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(jmcf46 @ Aug 19 2012, 01:39 PM) [snapback]30707[/snapback]

Thanks for the info. Do you have the carrier attached to the rear of you 5th wheeler? Does it tow well (no sway etc.)?

I have a class C and I don't tow a car, so the carrier is on the back of my Class C. I haven't had problems with it, other than I do notice a very subtle "shift of gravity center" when I have it down with bike versus up without bike.

5. Rcky_Mtn_Biker

Rcky_Mtn_Biker
    Expand Collapse

This may be a little overkill for what you're doing but I carry a Kawasaki Concours 1400 on the back of my 5th wheel using a Swivelwheel model DW58 and it works great! Check my avatar picture or I can supply more if you want. My bike weighs 700 lbs. and the DW58 has a capacity of 1350 lbs. I've lost track of how many people have followed me into campgrounds to ask about it. The website is www.swivelwheel.com/DW58.