What To Do, What To Do?

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by f94, Aug 23, 2012.

1. f94

f94
    Expand Collapse

We're booked into a site near Daytona for a month beginng 9/1. Since it looks like the hurricane will be upon us, we're considering rescheduling to the 20th. But then how much different will that be?
    Traveling 1100 miles to be blown and rained on kinda stinks.

Really disappointed since this is the only time we've been able to squeek out all summer.

Any advice from you Floridians? We really don't want to go anywhere else. Maybe the RV will have to go back in the barn for the winter :( :(

2. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(f94 @ Aug 23 2012, 09:44 AM) [snapback]30774[/snapback]

We're booked into a site near Daytona for a month beginng 9/1. Since it looks like the hurricane will be upon us, we're considering rescheduling to the 20th. But then how much different will that be?
    Traveling 1100 miles to be blown and rained on kinda stinks.

Really disappointed since this is the only time we've been able to squeek out all summer and.

Any advice from you Floridians? We really don't want to go anywhere else. Maybe the RV will have to go back in the barn for the winter :( :(

Isaac is forecast to be in Florida Monday and Tuesday - well before September 1 - 5 day forecast for Isaac

3. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

No way to know what a hurricane will do down here. Last year weather people said we would be hit with seven bad hurricanes plus ten smaller ones. We received zero hurricanes. We have been here a long time and in all our years we have only had a couple tree limbs broken out. Mother in law house lost a small number roof shingles over in mid of the state due to one hurricane. What we see is a good bit of rain and some wind. Other times storms have past in 20 miles and it did not rain a drop. I think you will be OK. Most all the hurricanes move up into the Gulf and into LA or TX. This is not to say that this year will be the same but based on past years the odds are good that we will have no storm damage.

One more trick you can do. If you see a problem coming move to other side of state for a couple days and them move back to the old campgrounds. People do this all the time.

4. fpullanosr

fpullanosr
    Expand Collapse

We are Florida residents although we full time RV. Hurricane Wilma in 2005 made us decide to trade our boats for a motor home.

Hurricanes are unpredictable but give you adequate notice of their whereabouts and estimated time and location of landfall.

If your RV is self contained as most are, don't let a little thing like a hurricane ruin your plans. Go for it, if the weather is changing, unplug and move to higher or safer ground. When the hurricane passes, go back to where you were.

Chances are that you will enjoy a safe and fun trip in Florida.

5. joez

joez
    Expand Collapse

One of the reasons we leave Fl for the summer is hurricanes. It looks like Isaac will not be a problem September 1, but TD 10 might be. The nice thing about hurricanes, though, is that weather forecasts give plenty of warning that one is coming. If it were me, I would continue planning the trip but keep an eye on weather reports - September is prime hurricane season. You could also divert your trip to miss hurricanes. Remember that once the storm passes the weather is typically beautiful. Have a great trip.

6. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

I am a native Floridian and have been through this many times. Don't even look at any local type news. They want the hurricane to hit them so they can get face time on national TV. Look at the internet for predictions and models. National Hurricane Center is great. Google hurricane model for a series of models. We leave in our Class A if one is threatening, There is no reason to fear this one in the Daytona area. The surf will be up. If you are in high winds, be sure to put your slides in and have a good book. Hurricanes travel at about 10 to 12 mph and if an evacuation is called, they will turn both sides of the expressway away from it. Keep your water, fuel and propane tanks near full and enjoy the lack of crowds due to the people not as smart as you.

7. Luvtheroad

Luvtheroad
    Expand Collapse

I've been a Central Florida resident for 35 years and I'll second Lindsay's post. If you depend on the TV reports, all you'll hear is DOOM! GLOOM! THE END OF THE WORLD IS COMING! Every hurricane that has the slightest chance of passing within 500 miles of Florida is treated as an imminent disaster. As Lindsay says, check it out on the internet. Now, we're out of Florida from May to October traveling, but in those last 35 years, I must have lived a charmed life as I've never lost a tree, a roof or even a screen off my house.

8. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

In June 2005 we were near the Mobile, AL, when the first hurricane of the season was on a direct hit course with that area. The national news was telling everyone to evacuate, but the locals were saying there was no need to leave, so we stayed. The winds only got up to Cat 1 speed, and fortunately our site was not under any trees that might have fallen on us, so we did just fine. It really was not that scary, although we did bring our slides in, mostly so that the slide covers would not flap and tear up. Truthfully, we have been in worse storms here in Texas. All that said I would not advise trying to stay for anything higher than a Cat 1. I think it would start to get dangerous at that point. BTW, this was the same year that Katrina hit New Orleans 3 months later, and I’m really glad we left before that.