Good Sam Travel Assist

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by DXSMac, Aug 25, 2012.

1. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

I'll try my best not to make this sound like some "endorsement" of a commercial product.

I just signed up for this new service from Good Sam. It's $89 for singles and $109 for families. They offer a wide variety of "travel interruption" type of stuff, but being a solo full-timer and having a pet, there were three services that jumped out at me:

Paying for someone to come be with me in a hospital if I don't have a spouse
    Caring for my pet if something happens to me
    Paying for someone to go get my RV and take it somewhere

In all the years I have been RVing, I have often thought, "What if.... What if.... what if....." and the services they offer were basically a godsend to my "What if?" questions. Especially my pet! How would my pet be cared for if something happened to me?

For me, I feel that having this "safety net" is worth it, but what about the rest of you? Any reason NOT to sign up for it?

2. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

FMCA offers a similar plan included in their membership fee.

3. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

If it gives you peace of mind, then it is worth it.

4. fpullanosr

fpullanosr
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Aug 25 2012, 06:06 PM) [snapback]30805[/snapback]

I'll try my best not to make this sound like some "endorsement" of a commercial product.

I just signed up for this new service from Good Sam. It's $89 for singles and $109 for families. They offer a wide variety of "travel interruption" type of stuff, but being a solo full-timer and having a pet, there were three services that jumped out at me:

Paying for someone to come be with me in a hospital if I don't have a spouse
    Caring for my pet if something happens to me
    Paying for someone to go get my RV and take it somewhere

In all the years I have been RVing, I have often thought, "What if.... What if.... what if....." and the services they offer were basically a godsend to my "What if?" questions. Especially my pet! How would my pet be cared for if something happened to me?

For me, I feel that having this "safety net" is worth it, but what about the rest of you? Any reason NOT to sign up for it?

I have been a member of Good Sam since the seventy's and love the organization. I have their medical transportation service but cant say much about it since I never have had to use it.

I have used their road side service several times and found them to be excellent.

We also have their warranty policy which has saved me thousands of dollars in unexpected repairs.

BTW just the discounts you get at parks and the magazine are well worth the dues.

5. Luvtheroad

Luvtheroad
    Expand Collapse

I'll vouch for their roadside service. We had to use them three times in five days last summer and the service was good. This new program sounds interesting.

6. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(jamarynn1 @ Aug 25 2012, 11:44 PM) [snapback]30815[/snapback]

I'll vouch for their roadside service. We had to use them three times in five days last summer and the service was good. This new program sounds interesting.

Keep in mind that GS periodically changes their ERS contractor. Your experiences last year were with Road America. This year, Allstate Motor Club is handling the GS ERS calls.

7. TXBobcat

TXBobcat
    Expand Collapse

I am a member of SkyMed. You can be a single or couple and join. It is not real cheap but you can join on a month by month basis.

http://www.skymed.com/

They would not cover my DW because she has physical problems that they will not cover. However if I have a problem they will transport me, my pet, my wife, 5th wheel and Truck where needed. You might look into it. They are recommended by the Escapees RV Club in Texas.

BC

8. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

See other thread where I talk about injuring my foot. Anyway, since I signed up for this policy, I called to see if possibly (I know this is WAY outside the box) the policy would cover sending someone out to drive my RV for me, with me in it, then return the person to where they came from. Guess what, the policy doesn't kick in until you have been in a hospital for a week. SHEESH. Guess I missed the fine print on that. My pet could starve to death in a week! Well, right now I can feed my pet, but I have to limp and hop to do it. But if I am in a hospital for a week, my pet could starve to death!

Although years ago, my cat went on a "hunger strike" for a week because he decided he didn't like the food I was feeding him..... hunger strike went away when I switched food. But at the age of 14, don't know if my cat could pull off another "hunger strike."

QUOTE(TXBobcat @ Sep 2 2012, 07:56 PM) [snapback]30943[/snapback]

I am a member of SkyMed. You can be a single or couple and join. It is not real cheap but you can join on a month by month basis.

http://www.skymed.com/

I checked the SkyMed Link. The closest I found to my "out of the box" situation was that they would pay to take an "unattended" RV back to a certain place. Well, my RV isn't "unattended," but it would sure be nice just to have someone drive my RV for me just to get me home. I guess that's asking too much. Both SkyMed and the Good Sam Trip thing have a provision that if you are solo, they will pay for a companion to come be with you. That's a step in the right direction to recognize that some people travel alone. But just to have someone drive my RV cuz I'm solo, so I won't have to drive, guess that scenario was never thought of......

9. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi JJ,

That week in hospital is a darn shame. It makes the policy not very attractive to many of us.

I'm flying next week--or I'd come and drive your RV back to WA.

10. JohnDoe

JohnDoe
    Expand Collapse

About good Sam>< It was 96 degrees out and I am 77 years old, had a flat out side of Fredrick Maryland Mid morning on a week day , the girl told me some one will be out in four hours, I was not going to set and wait four hours so I got out and changed it my self all time thinking about the Good Sam service.

11. pkd31780

pkd31780
    Expand Collapse

We are thinking of joining since my husband is not mechanically inclined. I appreciate the experience you all have had. We are thinking the peace of mind would be worth it at this point but probably not until spring when we start heading out again.

12. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Well, even if you don't sign up for the Good Sam "special" services (insurance, etc.), at least sign up for Good Sam's basic membership. You will get 10% off MOST any park you stay at. Not all parks participate, but in my travels, the parks that didn't participate (other than State/Federal/County parks) were very few.

Makes me wonder if the parks just jack up the rates 10% since there are so many Good Sam members...... And when you get your "10% discount" you are really just paying the market price..... (which is how the grocery story "loyalty club" things are, you aren't "saving" money, you are just getting the real market price, and the people who aren't in the "loyalty club" are getting overcharged....)