What's The Most Unusual Place You Camped/boondocked/stayed Ovetnig

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Fitzjohnfan, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

When I was a kid, my parents were proud to say they stayed overnight in front of the
    Empire State Building with our Fitzjohn bus. (meters were free on the weekends in the 1960s).

With our first motorhome, we backed it down a jeep road at Blue Mesa resevoir in CO, and parked right next to the lake. Now that I'm older, and hopefully wiser, I probably wouldn't do that again.

2. fpullanosr

fpullanosr
    Expand Collapse

On the Board Walk in Atlantic City. We volunteered to work at an air show and we were allowed to stay for three days at show center.

3. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Many years ago, a breakdown prevented us from reaching our preferred camping spot for the night with our TC. A local police officer directed us to the town cemetery where we spent the night parked next to the maintenance shed. The caretaker even allowed us to plug in to an outside outlet. We had a very quiet night...

4. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Dutch_12078 @ Aug 30 2012, 05:38 AM) [snapback]30888[/snapback]

We had a very quiet night...

Darn it all! Couldn't you at least have made UP a story for this experience? :D

I don't have any good stories for this thread, but my CAT overnighted in my RV in 20 degree weather in Northern Pennsylvania..... I was visiting friends, I stayed in the house, but kitty had to stay in the RV because the friends had a dog. I tried to keep a space heater on for minimal heat without blowing up anything electrical. Cat just hunkered down in my bedding and kept warm.

5. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

We traveled in our bus conversion and stayed at lots of odd places. We spent about 2 months parked between 2 buildings at a charter bus company in Cincinnati, OH while working on a bus. We also spend several weeks parked beside a cabinet shop while working on the owners bus. We also did flea marketing and lived in our bus beside 2 different flea markets for months while we ran our booth. We also stayed beside the shop of an artistic welder and beside a tool shed for a grain farm.

6. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Spent the night in Laughlin, NV with the Hell Angels and other groups of Hog riders. We did not know this group were in town. As soon as we had set up the motorhome we found out, to late. No sleep that night and no one was killed, what a mess that group made of the town. We moved on up to Sin City the next day.

7. GandJ

GandJ
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(John Blue @ Aug 30 2012, 07:26 PM) [snapback]30902[/snapback]

Spent the night in Laughlin, NV with the Hell Angels and other groups of Hog riders. We did not know this group were in town. As soon as we had set up the motorhome we found out, to late. No sleep that night and no one was killed, what a mess that group made of the town. We moved on up to Sin City the next day.

Whoa! That's scary. I must admit to having a bit of apprehension over being in FL during Bike Week next Mar. Maybe that's a good week to visit a brother-in-law over near Ft Myers on the other side of the state?

In keeping with this thread though, we haven't stayed anywhere all that odd. We did once overnight at the campground at Charlotte Motor Speedway, even though we aren't NASCAR followers. No racing going on at the time, so we had acres of gravel parking lot (with full hookups) almost all to ourselves.