Tpms Advice

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by GandJ, Sep 2, 2012.

1. GandJ

GandJ
    Expand Collapse

Does anyone amongst us have advice, experience or opinions on aftermarket tire pressure monitoring systems?

Our regular vehicles (car, truck) were made before TPMS came along, so the only experience I've had with them were on a rental car. (When the idiot light came on, it looked to me like someone's backside seated on a slatted sauna bench. Took awhile to figure out it was was showing a tire going flat.)

Has anyone found them at all useful?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

2. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

The TST (Truck Systems Technologies) TPMS system I have installed on my coach and toad has alerted me to soft tires, a bad wheel bearing, and a sticking brake caliper over the years I've had it. The potential damages that might have resulted without the alerts could have cost me many times the cost of the TPMS. Tire related failures on the toad can be particularly bad, since they're often undetectable in the coach unless a passerby points them out. I would not be without a TPMS now.

3. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

We do not have one yet. The damage over low air pressure could cost you a lot of money. Like Dutch said the toad can blow a tire and if a front tire goes the damage will be heavy. Thousands of dollars to replace all the parts if the toad did not start a fire and burn up. We stop and check our tires all the time at rest stops and lunch breaks. Feel for heat off the tires and we only use truck tires on MH, hard to to kill them over RV tires. :)

4. weighit

weighit
    Expand Collapse

Owning any tire pressure monitor system will be better than no system. Saying that I think for the money involved, the TST system fills the bill. You not only get to monitor your tires pressure, but also the tires temperature. As others have said knowing the temps can alert you to other issues that could cause tire failures, like stuck brakes or bad wheel bearing. Look look here

5. Denali

Denali
    Expand Collapse

We used the Pressure Pro system for five years, until the batteries in the tire sensors began failing. They charge $35 each for replacement sensors, so I bought a whole new system with ten sensors that use replaceable batteries for $400: EEZ RV TPMS. The price I paid was probably a special; I bought it at "The Big Tent" at the January RV rally in Quartzsite.

Both products work well, although the EEZ RV unit displays tire temperature as well as pressure, and it is easier to install than the Pressure Pro. Replacement batteries are readily available for a dollar or two each.

6. joez

joez
    Expand Collapse

We have used a Pressure Pro system for five years with no issues - has been a great system for us. TST seems (if you pay attention to forums) to be the most popular today. There are others. IMO, I consider a TPMS as important as seat belts and fire extinguishers.

7. GandJ

GandJ
    Expand Collapse

Thank you very much for the information. It helped. Reluctant spouse in now on board with spending the money for a TPMS.

Has anyone heard of, or had experience (good or bad) with, a system called "Tire Minder"?

8. scottybdiving

scottybdiving
    Expand Collapse

+1 on the TST. I have the 507 with flow through sensors. Just towed through OKC at 104 degrees on Labor Day. Very comforting to see both the pressure and temperature.

9. GandJ

GandJ
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the info. We're leaning toward getting the TST 507s (replacable batteries are a nice feature). The monitor looks really good and the video makes set up look easy. Am hoping TST will have a vendor at the show in Hershey next week.

TireMinder is a system available locally so we were interested in knowing if anyone here has ever tried it. TST does seem to be the wa
    y to go though.

10. gsbogart

gsbogart
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(GandJ @ Sep 5 2012, 01:26 PM) [snapback]30983[/snapback]

Thank you very much for the information. It helped. Reluctant spouse in now on board with spending the money for a TPMS.

Has anyone heard of, or had experience (good or bad) with, a system called "Tire Minder"?

Excellent company and they will talk to you if you have problems. Also a 8 year free battery program

11. GandJ

GandJ
    Expand Collapse

We decided to get the TST 507's. This is the only system we looked at that will easily allow us to disconnect our truck from our trailer and use the TPMS on just the truck without re-programming everything.

Since TST didn't have a presence at the Hershey Show last week, I e-mailed them and asked if they had a "show price" anyway (a "not-at-the-show" discount?) and they offered me one! Also free shipping and an extended warranty (2 years) as is listed on their site. This brought the cost down into the range of the Tire Minder system we were looking at locally.

It was suggested by TST's rep that we NOT use the flow-through sensors, since they stick out farther and might be a problem if we use the TMPS on our Honda Civic Hybrid when we take it on drive trips.

Thanks again for your help.

12. GandJ

GandJ
    Expand Collapse

Received our TPMS last week, but didn't have much opportunity to play with it due to a bout of the flu. It's installed on the Honda now...pretty darn nifty.

One question for anyone who uses it on a regular-non-RV vehicle or on a tow'd (toad?): Do you leave the default tire temp setting of 175 or should it have a different setting for vehicle tires, which are maybe less "robust" than RV tires?

Thanks again for any/all replies.

13. weighit

weighit
    Expand Collapse

Yes leaving the preset temp at 157 is fine and no need to change it. You will never see it trip the alarm unless there is a real problem causing the temp to rise, normally a stuck brake or failing wheel bearing.

14. GandJ

GandJ
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(weighit @ Sep 24 2012, 07:56 PM) [snapback]31266[/snapback]

Yes leaving the preset temp at 157 is fine and no need to change it. You will never see it trip the alarm unless there is a real problem causing the temp to rise, normally a stuck brake or failing wheel bearing.

Thanks. You're right, of course. The default is 157F, not 175.

...Dyslexics of the world: Untie!