Review Not Posted

Discussion in 'CGR Site Admin, News and Announcements' started by gritz, Sep 25, 2012.

1. gritz

gritz
    Expand Collapse

I posted a review that was accepted on 9/17/2012 on Farewell Bend. (Huntington) but never published or posted to this review site. Since I included a lot of detail for accuracy in case an RVer' was looking for a site that could pickup up Verizon cell phone service, which means Internet with a smartphone, I was disappointed when the review was not published. In further checking, it seems that a lot of reviews are painfully old so I suspect you won't get much current information, at least in Farewell Bend. But in case you need the Internet, site #112 can do it, with a booster. My SS was actually -59 dBm ... which is a good as it gets.

2. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I found a review for Farewell Bend that was submitted under a different username. However, I believe it is yours. The problem here is that our records show that you have submitted only one review. Our guidelines state that you must submit 3 reviews before they will be posted.

3. rvingup

rvingup
    Expand Collapse

I thought I read a month ago, it was submit 2 reviews... not 3? Please clarify.

4. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

5. gritz

gritz
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Sep 25 2012, 06:17 PM) [snapback]31280[/snapback]

I found a review for Farewell Bend that was submitted under a different username. However, I believe it is yours. The problem here is that our records show that you have submitted only one review. Our guidelines state that you must submit 3 reviews before they will be posted.

I guess I'm not understanding the value of denying a reviewer submission because he has not submitted 3 RV reviews. Seems like a real waste of valuable information and a downer for intermittent campers. We went twice this Fall and I spent a fair amount of time trying to be informative and helpful .... but to say you need 3 reviews?? Doesn't make sense. If I can't see my post online and re-edit if necessary, I won't be back. I will go where my views are appreciated. Life is too short to wait a year to see if your post went live. I encourage you to rethink your policy ... it could develop into a great resource.

Jim Lindbloom

6. Denali

Denali
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(gritz @ Oct 22 2012, 08:06 AM) [snapback]31669[/snapback]
    ...If I can't see my post online and re-edit if necessary, I won't be back...
    Jim Lindbloom

Reviews cannot be edited once they are posted.

7. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

QUOTE(gritz @ Oct 22 2012, 11:06 AM) [snapback]31669[/snapback]

I guess I'm not understanding the value of denying a reviewer submission because he has not submitted 3 RV reviews. Seems like a real waste of valuable information and a downer for intermittent campers.

I think this policy stems from the fact that there are two classes of reviews that the website would prefer to filter out.

One class of review comes from individuals who own or are associated with campgrounds and is submitted for the sole purpose of "pumping up" the CG's reputation and increasing its business. Such reviews typically come from people who aren't really RVers and have registered on the website solely for the purpose of submitting this one review. Although the policy of forcing them to submit two additional reviews of other CG's doesn't completely eliminate such folks, it does make it more difficult, especially if they don't happen to even own an RV.

The other class of review comes from individuals who aren't interested in using the website for sharing of reviews other than for one review they wish to submit about a particularly bad experience they have had at some CG. It's not that such bad experiences shouldn't be posted but I think the purpose of the website is to create a broadly-based sharing of park reviews, not just to flame a particular park because of one's perception of not having been treated well.

If the person submitting the review is, in fact, an RVer with an interest in the community, the requirement to submit two additional reviews shouldn't be such a burdensome one. Even casual RVers typically use their rigs a couple of times a season.

Those of us who rely on this website as our primary source of CG information, are accustomed to using our own "filters" for reading reviews and deciding their relevance to ourselves. However, having the website filter the most egregiously good or bad reviews improves the odds that those that are published better represent a true perspective of the park being reviewed.

8. rkw99

rkw99
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(docj @ Oct 22 2012, 11:32 AM) [snapback]31671[/snapback]

I think this policy stems from the fact that there are two classes of reviews that the website would prefer to filter out.

One class of review comes from individuals who own or are associated with campgrounds and is submitted for the sole purpose of "pumping up" the CG's reputation and increasing its business. Such reviews typically come from people who aren't really RVers and have registered on the website solely for the purpose of submitting this one review. Although the policy of forcing them to submit two additional reviews of other CG's doesn't completely eliminate such folks, it does make it more difficult, especially if they don't happen to even own an RV.

Yes, because campground owners and associates who want to "pump up" a particular campground are too stupid to figure out how to circumvent such filters. Insert eyeroll

9. weighit

weighit
    Expand Collapse

Another case of the rules don't apply to me. It said you have to post 3 different campground reviews before they will start showing up, and you post one review and are complaining the rules are too strict. Maybe we should change them for you, then again, maybe not. Hundreds of others seem to think the site works fine and they come here for the great information submitted by those that followed the rules.

10. dog bone

dog bone
    Expand Collapse

If I can't see my post online and re-edit if necessary, I won't be back. I will go where my views are appreciated. Life is too short to wait a year to see if your post went live.

gritz. I'm sorry you feel that way. If you enjoy camping, I don't know why it would be hard just to post 2 more reviews.
    My member number is 250, now there are over 50,000 members on this site. This is one of the best, if not the best, places to research for a campground. The rules are in place not to just help us, but to help the webmaster and the moderators make their job just a bit easier. I don't know if you know how much time and effort it takes to operate a site like this.
    I don't know why this is typing in bold print. I tried a couple of ways to just do regular print, but it just stays like this. I don't want anyone to think I was yelling.[SIZE=8pt] [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=10pt]I got it. It got stuck on bold, even though I clicked it off.[/SIZE]

11. willranless

willranless
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(dog bone @ Oct 24 2012, 01:46 PM) [snapback]31682[/snapback]

I don't know why this is typing in bold print. I tried a couple of ways to just do regular print, but it just stays like this. I don't want anyone to think I was yelling.[SIZE=8pt] [/SIZE]

I DID NOT THINK YOU WERE YELLING BECAUSE YOU WERE NOT TYPING IN ALL CAPITALS. :D

12. fistymc

fistymc
    Expand Collapse

I understand the reasons for moderating posts, but I have an issue with a recent review I made. I'm sorry for hijacking this thread...

I recently tried to post a review on a park that we *tried* to stay at but the check in experience was so bad that we ended up not being able to even get in. My submission was denied.

I have tried to contact the park to no avail and I think it is important for others to know about the experience. Is there somewhere else on this site where I can post this particular issue? I am new to this review site, but travel full time in my rig with family in tow. I'm not big on bashing a park and understand that things just happen sometimes but also feel that each person's experience helps to paint a better picture of the park. Thanks!

13. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

QUOTE(fistymc @ Dec 26 2012, 04:27 PM) [snapback]32283[/snapback]

I understand the reasons for moderating posts, but I have an issue with a recent review I made. I'm sorry for hijacking this thread...

I recently tried to post a review on a park that we *tried* to stay at but the check in experience was so bad that we ended up not being able to even get in. My submission was denied.

I have tried to contact the park to no avail and I think it is important for others to know about the experience. Is there somewhere else on this site where I can post this particular issue? I am new to this review site, but travel full time in my rig with family in tow. I'm not big on bashing a park and understand that things just happen sometimes but also feel that each person's experience helps to paint a better picture of the park. Thanks!

See reply under the new thread started about this concern.

14. rkw99

rkw99
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(fistymc @ Dec 26 2012, 05:27 PM) [snapback]32283[/snapback]

Yet another example of inconsistency with following "the rules" for posting reviews. Apparently your experience not actually staying in a park is not a helpful review but this one is:

We read the reviews on this campground and choose it because it had everything we needed. Upon arrival, we were told the daily rate was $32 for 2-3 people. When we asked for an internet code, we were handed a rate sheet, starting at $3.95 for 1/2 hour and ending with a monthly rate. We know that some parks charge for internet (although in our travels thru most of the US and CA we have never paid), but $4 for 1/2 hour is ridiculous. We drove another ~15 miles and found a wonderful campground for $26.50 per night with free internet. We camped here in a Fifth Wheel

15. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

QUOTE(rkw99 @ Dec 28 2012, 01:57 PM) [snapback]32299[/snapback]

Yet another example of inconsistency with following "the rules" for posting reviews. Apparently your experience not actually staying in a park is not a helpful review but this one is:

We read the reviews on this campground and choose it because it had everything we needed. Upon arrival, we were told the daily rate was $32 for 2-3 people. When we asked for an internet code, we were handed a rate sheet, starting at $3.95 for 1/2 hour and ending with a monthly rate. We know that some parks charge for internet (although in our travels thru most of the US and CA we have never paid), but $4 for 1/2 hour is ridiculous. We drove another ~15 miles and found a wonderful campground for $26.50 per night with free internet. We camped here in a Fifth Wheel

I agree. In my opinion this "review" does not meet our criteria for posting. However, it was posted over 2 years ago, and I hope we have gotten more consistent since then. At least we have tried to do so, but some bad reviews do slip through.

16. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

The admins are all volunteers and this is a free site with over 175,000 reviews. At one review per minute (impossibly fast imho) it would take over 100 8 hour days to vet them all.

No one is forcing anyone to use this site. The wonder is that there are so many excellent reviews.

17. wpr

wpr
    Expand Collapse

Right on pianotuna! :)

18. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

QUOTE(wprigge @ Dec 29 2012, 10:29 AM) [snapback]32306[/snapback]

Right on pianotuna! :)

X2

Mike

19. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(pianotuna @ Dec 29 2012, 05:23 AM) [snapback]32305[/snapback]

[SIZE=12pt]The wonder is that there are so many excellent reviews.[/SIZE]

Have lost track of the number of years we have used this site to research campgrounds and RV parks as we have traveled through this life. Am pleased to note we took the plunge, and posted a couple reviews as well. Very fulfilling to be part of this body of work.
    And on that note:
    Happy New Year everyone. Hope to see you camping in 2013!
    B)

20. cKarlGo

cKarlGo
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(FosterImposters @ Dec 29 2012, 12:58 PM) [snapback]32308[/snapback]

Have lost track of the number of years we have used this site to research campgrounds and RV parks as we have traveled through this life. Am pleased to note we took the plunge, and posted a couple reviews as well. Very fulfilling to be part of this body of work.
    And on that note:
    Happy New Year everyone. Hope to see you camping in 2013!
    B)

I never make reservations anywhere that I do not read the reviews on here first. I rarely stay anywhere that lacks reviews or has multiple bad reviews from reviewers who are well into the double-digits.