Review Not Posted

Discussion in 'CGR Site Admin, News and Announcements' started by gritz, Sep 25, 2012.

1. joez

joez
    Expand Collapse

I rarely stay anywhere that lacks reviews

This site is really our only source to find a place to park,also. A few years ago, though, we were in an area where no campgrounds had been reviewed here. We thought that if everybody who uses this site only stayed at reviewed parks, we would never see new ones. So at least a couple times per year we try to stay in an unreviewed place so that we can add to the listings.

2. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

I do a couple of small commercial websites and business Facebook sites. My wife runs a small in home business. We have learned, painfully so, that one cannot please everyone all of the time despite our absolute best effort to do so. We bend over backwards for those that have legitimate concerns. But, it's a fact that there are just plain grumpy people out there that would complain if you gave them everything free and served it on a silver platter. Which by the way, this website is free to use. I suspect that 99.9% of the reviewers are pleased with the service that this site provides. For the other .1% perhaps an occasional chill pill would do no harm.

3. jimnkaran

jimnkaran
    Expand Collapse

I am new to this website but really like any site with campground reviews. I was going to post on a couple of places we have stayed but according to the rules I am not allowed to post a review on any campground. The reason is I have worked at a campground, Glacier National Park, as a campground host and the rules you must agree to when posting a review is that you have NEVER WORKED AT ANY CAMPGROUND!!! This is completely wrong. I agree that I should not be allowed to post a review at any campgrounds that I have worked at but I should be allowed to post on other campgrounds we stay at when traveling. I feel like this is not right just because I worked at one, my opinion should still count on other campgrounds.

4. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

FWIW, I never noticed that the "affirmation" was stated in such a blanket manner until you pointed it out and I'm pretty sure that the intent of whoever wrote it was to assure that reviewers didn't have any relationships with the CG's they were reviewing. I have been a work-kamper and yet I write reviews and I'm sure that is true of many other folks who are members and contribute. We welcome you to the site and encourage you to post reviews.

5. Emma

Emma
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(mdcamping @ Dec 29 2012, 10:51 AM) [snapback]32307[/snapback]

X2

Mike

X2 (for the "Right on pianotuna! :) " post)

EmmaMae

6. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Um..... I think you can't post on a campground you are currently employed at. But any others you can post a review on..... But it might be a different story for a campground OWNER.

QUOTE(jimnkaran @ Apr 5 2013, 07:37 PM) [snapback]32980[/snapback]

I am new to this website but really like any site with campground reviews. I was going to post on a couple of places we have stayed but according to the rules I am not allowed to post a review on any campground. The reason is I have worked at a campground, Glacier National Park, as a campground host and the rules you must agree to when posting a review is that you have NEVER WORKED AT ANY CAMPGROUND!!! This is completely wrong. I agree that I should not be allowed to post a review at any campgrounds that I have worked at but I should be allowed to post on other campgrounds we stay at when traveling. I feel like this is not right just because I worked at one, my opinion should still count on other campgrounds.

7. jimnkaran

jimnkaran
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Apr 10 2013, 09:25 AM) [snapback]33027[/snapback]

Um..... I think you can't post on a campground you are currently employed at. But any others you can post a review on..... But it might be a different story for a campground OWNER.

I have gotten advice from 2 so called senior members that say I can review campgrounds that I have been to but evidently they don't read the rules. Here is the quote that you must agree to before posting.
    " I hereby state that I have read and will abide by the instructions listed above when writing my review. I am not currently nor have I ever been the owner, a relative of the owner, or an employee of this or any other RV park or campground. Furthermore I do not currently have nor have I ever had any affiliation with this or any other RV park or campground. I also give my permission for RV Park Reviews and/or campground Reviews to log my IP address when submitting this review. "
    The statement above is very explicit as far as who can post. Not only does it exempt me from reviewing because I was a work camper but also about 13 years ago I owned a small campground and that also makes me ineligible to post reviews. Someone needs to tell the owners of the website how many people they are stopping from posting. And also anyone that falls into any of those categories and still post could be legally liable for anything they post. Evidently very few people read the rules they agree to when they check the little box to post.

8. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I will try to get a clarification from the webmaster.

9. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I think you will now find that this statement has been reworded to more accurately reflect its intent.

10. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

Back to the part of this thread that discussed the need to moderate the incoming reviews. I recently read a review of the Ameristar Vickburg (MS) RV Park. Except for calling the park "rundown" and not getting a 50Amp site until they threatened to leave, the reviewer said little about the RV park. In fact, they actually wrote "I guess my rating is based not so much on the park as on Vicksburg itself". That's just wrong.

11. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

QUOTE(Jerry S. @ Apr 29 2013, 12:10 AM) [snapback]33233[/snapback]

Back to the part of this thread that discussed the need to moderate the incoming reviews. I recently read a review of the Ameristar Vickburg (MS) RV Park. Except for calling the park "rundown" and not getting a 50Amp site until they threatened to leave, the reviewer said little about the RV park. In fact, they actually wrote "I guess my rating is based not so much on the park as on Vicksburg itself". That's just wrong.

I agree that the review you have cited should not have been posted as written. I know that this website uses volunteer reviewers who do their best to ensure that posted reviews adhere to site standards. However, as is the case with any activity involving multiple individuals exercising subjective evaluations, no two reviewers have exactly the same standards for acceptable review content.

I'm sure that your post pointing out the deficiencies of this review will result in it being re-evaluated and, most likely, being revised. IMHO bringing your concerns to the attention of the administrative team was very appropriate.

12. Luvtheroad

Luvtheroad
    Expand Collapse

Speaking of odd reasons to downgrade a park, I was just looking today at a review that gave the campground a "1" rating. One of the reasons given was that the "camper doors faced north". Over the years, I'm sure my camper door has faced in all four directions and every point in between. I guess I don't spend a lot of time being concerned about which direction it faces. I'm happy as long as it isn't facing "down" or "up".

13. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(jamarynn1 @ Apr 29 2013, 12:16 PM) [snapback]33240[/snapback]

Speaking of odd reasons to downgrade a park, I was just looking today at a review that gave the campground a "1" rating. One of the reasons given was that the "camper doors faced north". Over the years, I'm sure my camper door has faced in all four directions and every point in between. I guess I don't spend a lot of time being concerned about which direction it faces. I'm happy as long as it isn't facing "down" or "up".

I read that review also, and scratched my head as to the "doors North" comment and also the very low rating given. All the other recent ratings were glowing for that park, so this is one of those most of us will "bloop" over, chalking it up to a confused camper.

14. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Fitzjohnfan @ Apr 29 2013, 03:40 PM) [snapback]33241[/snapback]

I read that review also, and scratched my head as to the "doors North" comment and also the very low rating given. All the other recent ratings were glowing for that park, so this is one of those most of us will "bloop" over, chalking it up to a confused camper.

This one got discussed a lot at rv.net, and it was surmised that since it was January, maybe the cold north wind was a problem.

Or maybe their tin foil helmet doesn't align well with magnetic north when the door faces that direction.

15. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(HappiestCamper @ Apr 30 2013, 07:58 AM) [snapback]33247[/snapback]

This one got discussed a lot at rv.net, and it was surmised that since it was January, maybe the cold north wind was a problem.

Wow! The reviewer got nationwide negative attention with that one. Perhaps it could serve as a good lesson for them, and maybe others, to be careful in what one says in a review. The Rules for Submitting a review do say to concentrate on the facilities, amenities, and services. They may not have been read.