Electric Bill/ Over Billing

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by txladyrver, Nov 8, 2012.

1. txladyrver

txladyrver
    Expand Collapse

looking for as much info any one has on parks billing on electric. the Number 1 thing i have found is the park can NOT make a profit. and can not bill for common areas. and can not charge more per kwh than they are billed. but i can not pin point what othre charges can be added.

The Reason I am looking in to this. I was in a park in Texas. As a long time renter. And had concerns over the pass year about the electric bills. Moved to a new park and electric bill drop by over half. Of what I was paying. I did some researching got some info from the Texas PUC. And was able to look at the parks bills and found
    That one mouth my bill was $105. And for the hole park was on $598. And the park had over 12 renters. That would make the park making large PROFIT. Per the Texas PUC they can not do.

just to update, the new Park we are in I have checked the KWH and have found that in the same amount of time, We have used Less KWH than in the old park, which would only leave me to believe the old parks meters are reading more KWH, the old park was charging 0.1532 per KW the new park is charging 0.0810. That is a big difference. And I have called the other parks in the area and have found that none of the parks are charging that kind of rate as the old park. Now when I looked at the old parks bill I found the rate the electric company was charging was only o.o7 per KW that is big difference, the old park would no tell me how they got the rate they are charging. I will follow this as fare as I can to get the truth. From all that I have found so fare I believe they are doing something illegal. I will keep posting up dates as to what I find. And how I found it .from every thing I have found so fare, the only way for them to charge extra is to charge higher lot fees,

2. joez

joez
    Expand Collapse

In some states it is not legal to charge more than the billing amount for electric. Some states allow rv parks/apartments, etc to add a service charge or meter reading fee, and other states pretty much allow upcharges to the electric. We have seen all of the above, including meters that were not anywhere close to accurate.

3. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

In Texas the CG's can charge you more than what they are paying. There are different electric companies and they each have different rates. We have the right where we are to charge about 4% over what we pay. We also have the right to add a slight bit to cover the cost of updating the power pedestals. We do not overcharge anyone and would not. The CG spoken of the the poster here was, I'm sure, going out to their way to charge too much.

We did have one man complain about the rates but he was leaving his A/C set on about 65 even if he was away or at work. He also would leave his TV on even when he wasn't there so his electric charge was due to his carelessness.

weighit likes this.
  4. txladyrver

txladyrver
    Expand Collapse

per the Texas PUC
    Owners of RV parks and mobile home parks may bill their tenants for electric service using either the PUC rules (section 25.141) or code 184.033

RV and Mobile home parks tenants may be charged a fix rate for electricity based on the average cost per kwh for the park over the past year. The park owner may not make a profiton the sale of electricity to park reaidents or include charges for the cost of electricity for the parks common areas. If the power company supplying electricity to the park increases its rate after the park calculates its fixed rate, the park owner may recalculate the previous year's average charges using the new rate and calculate a new fixed rate to be charged to residents.

QUOTE(dalsgal @ Nov 8 2012, 07:00 PM) [snapback]31825[/snapback]

In Texas the CG's can charge you more than what they are paying. There are different electric companies and they each have different rates. We have the right where we are to charge about 4% over what we pay. We also have the right to add a slight bit to cover the cost of updating the power pedestals. We do not overcharge anyone and would not. The CG spoken of the the poster here was, I'm sure, going out to their way to charge too much.

We did have one man complain about the rates but he was leaving his A/C set on about 65 even if he was away or at work. He also would leave his TV on even when he wasn't there so his electric charge was due to his carelessness.

please see last post

5. kcmoedoe

kcmoedoe
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(txladyrver @ Nov 8 2012, 11:28 PM) [snapback]31828[/snapback]

per the Texas PUC
    Owners of RV parks and mobile home parks may bill their tenants for electric service using either the PUC rules (section 25.141) or code 184.033

RV and Mobile home parks tenants may be charged a fix rate for electricity based on the average cost per kwh for the park over the past year. The park owner may not make a profiton the sale of electricity to park reaidents or include charges for the cost of electricity for the parks common areas. If the power company supplying electricity to the park increases its rate after the park calculates its fixed rate, the park owner may recalculate the previous year's average charges using the new rate and calculate a new fixed rate to be charged to residents.
    please see last post

Sure looks like a good argument to give up on metered electric and price the sites with electricity included. Just figure what your highest user used, add that to the base rate and make that the inclusive rate for all the sites. If necessary, charge an extra fee if people want to plug in something other than their rig (one connection per pedestal would be fine for 99% of all RVers). You might get one or two who will abuse the system, but in the long run it would more than even out and you won't get people running to the authorities, which will be much worse than losing a few bucks on electricity.

6. txladyrver

txladyrver
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(kcmoedoe @ Nov 9 2012, 12:38 PM) [snapback]31834[/snapback]

Sure looks like a good argument to give up on metered electric and price the sites with electricity included. Just figure what your highest user used, add that to the base rate and make that the inclusive rate for all the sites. If necessary, charge an extra fee if people want to plug in something other than their rig (one connection per pedestal would be fine for 99% of all RVers). You might get one or two who will abuse the system, but in the long run it would more than even out and you won't get people running to the authorities, which will be much worse than losing a few bucks on electricity.

the park we have moved to now we do pay more for the space but he have alot more, coverd space ,coverd patio, fienced dog area, nice landry room , trees, but we will still be paying the same / with high rate the old park was charging on electric. if the parks would just follow the rules on electric pricing all would be good, but if seem no one is over seeing or inforcing the laws .

7. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

We spend the winter in Rockport TX and the rate for electric varies from .15c to .19c per KWH which seems rather high to me. Where we were the last 4 years it went from .17c to .19c. Where we will be this winter is .15c. We have paid as low as.09c KWH in another state.

8. txladyrver

txladyrver
    Expand Collapse

Just to up date, I will be sending my complaint On Park to the TEXAS PUC today. And I guess I have made the owner mad or worried because the day after I review his bill he sent me a notice of eviction on my storage unit. This was nothing more than retaliation on his part. But I was expecting if I was just waiting for in writing.
    I have also gotten the email address for channel 11 news here in Dallas for there investigative report and will be contacting them. I will keep you posted as to what happens next.

9. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

May I add another option? Perhaps your site was inadvertenly connected to a "common" area and you were paying that bill? I have heard of that happening.

10. Rickbl

Rickbl
    Expand Collapse

Here's my question. My rv park doesnt send be a detailed bill. I get a statement with an amount for electricity. Now being a retired bookkeeper, it drives me crazy that i cant audit my electric bill. Bill for june 2033 overage is $87 my allowed is $70 so my usage wad 154$. My question is do they have to send me a detailed bill?

11. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Is the park required, by law, to present a detailed bill? That can only be answered by the laws in your area. In any case, I would request from the park a detailed itemized bill. I would ask why the park is charging for June of 2033?