Worlds Toughest Bridge Durham, Nc

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by nedmtnman, Nov 21, 2012.

1. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

2. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

3. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Ouch!... hits home when the Rv's don't make it through. With all the accidents you would hope there's a plan to make the underpass higher/safer.

Mike

4. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

I have been under this bridge lots of times but only in a car. This bridge has been a pain more than 50 years. You would think at some point in time this would be fixed. The RV's will fit if you make one pass under the bridge. :p

5. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

That's some video. It reminded me of an incident some years ago (think it was at the Mississippi lock 15 in Rock Island IL) where I came across an 11 foot overpass and it completely stopped me in my tracks. I did not know how high my class C rig was. I was afraid that my A/C would get ripped off. There were some pedestrians on the sidewalk and they told me to go for it. I slowly did and made it through with inches to spare. That night in the campground I measured the height of my rig and every other one since. Now you can get a GPS to figure where to drive to avoid these low overpasses, but that takes all the "fun" out of it. :)

6. Wink

Wink
    Expand Collapse

That is not the only low over pass around the country.It just happens that one has a camera pointed at it.If you notice they also have warning lights to tell you if you are to high.And if I am not mistaken the speed limit there is 25.

7. Tom

Tom
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Wink @ Nov 23 2012, 06:46 PM) [snapback]31972[/snapback]
    .If you notice they also have warning lights to tell you if you are to high.

Took me a moment to figure that out... the lights actually flash at you if you are too tall -- but people still just go.

Wonder what the paperwork is like at the local truck rental center? Considering so many of the trucks seemed to be rentals, lol.

8. Denali

Denali
    Expand Collapse

Our coach is 12'2" high. Here we are on a turnout on the Natchez Trace a few years back: Oopsie!

Time to unhook and back out.

That's why we have our motor home's height, width, and weight, in both English and metric, on labels right above the speedometer. When driving in Canada and Mexico, it's heart-thumping to see a sign like "Height Limit 3.6 Meters Ahead," or "Weight Limit 16 KG" on a bridge. Quick! What's that? How tall are we?! How much do we weigh?!

9. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Dave,

We have the same label on our dash as well. You have no time to work out the numbers if you come up to a low bridge or overpass. :lol:

10. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

On a lighter note, if you have ever been in Olympic National Forest or Sequoia (sorry I can't remember which) there is one of the huge trees that fell quite a few years ago and they built the road under it. It's obviously too short for a motorhome, but my parents thought it would be a good image to drive our Fitzjohn bus up to it and take a picture. Just as they were driving up to it, a forigen couple came running out of their car waiving their arms trying to stop them.
    It took a lot of hand signals and pantomine to explain that we wouldn't attempt to go through and it was all in fun.