Send A Photo Of My Rig?

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Luvtheroad, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Luvtheroad

Luvtheroad
    Expand Collapse

Has any RV park asked you to send a picture of your rig before they would accept a reservation? We just inquired into a reservation for a month at a KOA in Virginia in September and they want us to send a picture first. Our fifth wheel is a 2009 and we stayed at that KOA last September for two weeks. No explanation given for the request, even after being told it was a 2009 model. We've stayed in over 60 RV parks now, but this is a first. It didn't appear last year that the KOA had particularly high standards at that time....

2. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

That seems unusual, and what would keep someone from taking a picture of a brand new RV and passing it off as their own? How would the park know for sure it was your RV? The most we have ever been asked for is the year of our RV and that was when we were staying at a place that had a restriction on RV's over 10 years old.

3. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

We have been asked before for a picture. We had an antique bus that had been converted to an RV and the people had to see it, either in person or in a picture, before they would make a reservation. In part, I can understand because it was old but it was nice looking and the age of bus conversions start at the date of conversion and not at the date the bus was made.

We found out that some KOA's will allow RV's that are old and have been there so long the tired rotted off but don't allow bus conversions at all. At KOA the decision is up to the individual owner and not the corporation as to who is allowed.

4. vincee

vincee
    Expand Collapse

I would find another rv park before I put up with that uppity bull crap. Don't like KOA's to begin with.

5. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

KOA recently divided up their parks into three categories, resort, something else, and overnight. They are priced accordingly. This one is probably the resort type. Sounds a little snooty to me. I would send them a photo of a 1959 Winny and go elsewhere.

6. Emma

Emma
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(jamarynn1 @ Jan 28 2013, 04:57 PM) [snapback]32485[/snapback]

Has any RV park asked you to send a picture of your rig before they would accept a reservation? We just inquired into a reservation for a month at a KOA in Virginia in September and they want us to send a picture first. Our fifth wheel is a 2009 and we stayed at that KOA last September for two weeks. No explanation given for the request, even after being told it was a 2009 model. We've stayed in over 60 RV parks now, but this is a first. It didn't appear last year that the KOA had particularly high standards at that time....

We've been asked once by an RV resort park in Michigan. They had a requirement that your camper be less than 10 years old -- unless you get prior approval. Our trailer is a renovated 1974 trailer. I sent the picture online and we were approved immediately with no hassle. We were treated very well on both of our stays (going to and from our ultimate destination). We would stay there again, even if we are asked to send a picture again. I would consider the campground a true resort with its amenities and setting. We were a very tiny 29 ft camper trailer amidst many huge rigs.

Thank you for your heads-up about your experience with KOA. We won't be caught by surprise if we run into the same requirement.

Emma

7. Luvtheroad

Luvtheroad
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Feb 27 2013, 03:13 PM) [snapback]32700[/snapback]

KOA recently divided up their parks into three categories, resort, something else, and overnight. They are priced accordingly. This one is probably the resort type. Sounds a little snooty to me. I would send them a photo of a 1959 Winny and go elsewhere.

I'd say this one falls somewhere between "resort" and "something else", leaning toward the "something else". Normally, I don't have a great love for KOA's but He Who Drives the Tow Vehicle likes KOA's, so we frequently stay at one. Unless this place has spiffed up a lot since September and has kicked out the much older rv's we saw that looked like they were there on a permanent basis, I can't understand their being persnickety about how old our rig is. Anyway, the question has been rendered moot, as our plans have changed and we won't be staying there anyway.

8. K&J

K&J
    Expand Collapse

I can understand not wanting old wrecks that may be a problem but this "We are better than you" attitude really annoys me. We have a 1995 Foretravel that has been completely re-furbished to 2007 standards and it is stunning. Friends have a popular 2004 that is pretty worn looking - it's all they can afford. Are they any less people than us?

If you have the attitude that you are better than me because you have more money then I certainly don't want to share the same park with you.

9. joez

joez
    Expand Collapse

I can understand not wanting old wrecks that may be a problem but this "We are better than you" attitude really annoys me.

Why assume this is the reason for a photo request. The original poster said they were trying to make a reservation for a month. In many states, once a rental is made for a month or more, evicting becomes a very difficult process, so vetting becomes extremely important. While an older, worn out vehicle may not be an indication that the owners are "lesser", it may be an indication that they are living on a financial edge that could make collecting rent problematic.

DW and I own rental houses, both short term rentals and long term. One of the things we look at when interviewing prospective renters is the condition of their vehicle. Older (or newer), poorly maintained, dirty vehicles full of trash do not make us feel warm and fuzzy about prospective tenants. Most of the properties are now handled by a management company, but I guarantee you that those few properties I still handle personally are not rented to someone driving "wrecks on wheels". Appearance is not everything. It is, many times though, all we have to base a judgement on.

Could this request for a photo not just be a park's attempt to ensure their business attracts clientele that fits the market they wish to serve, and avoid some kind of confrontation/inspection process when someone shows up to claim the reservation?