New Travel Trailer 36'

Discussion in 'Welcome to Campground Reviews' started by Organic1, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Organic1

Organic1
    Expand Collapse

Hi everyone,

We're close to purchasing a Coachmen 320BHDS, which is 36'11" long and has 2 deep slides plus an opposing mini slide for the kitchen. Love the floor plan, but the main thing I'm worried about is that most campgrounds might not have large enough campsites.

We enjoy county parks, city parks, and state/federal campgrounds. We're not 'RV Resort' people as a general rule...so we like that it's 30 amp, and under 11' tall. But there is the length issue.

Would love some input before it's too late. Anyone?

2. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

Our RV was a bus conversion and it was 35 feet long. We didn't have problems finding places where we would fit. The only thing I can see that might really cause you a problem in some CG's is having the RV and the truck. There might be places that are small and you might have to unhook and park your truck somewhere else for the night. I doubt that would even be necessary in most places. If you know where you are going to be staying you should call ahead and ask them about it. Don't just ask if their spaces could accommodate you but if you will be able to maneuver the roads in their park safely.

3. Organic1

Organic1
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(dalsgal @ Feb 13 2013, 12:44 PM) [snapback]32602[/snapback]

Our RV was a bus conversion and it was 35 feet long. We didn't have problems finding places where we would fit. The only thing I can see that might really cause you a problem in some CG's is having the RV and the truck. There might be places that are small and you might have to unhook and park your truck somewhere else for the night. I doubt that would even be necessary in most places. If you know where you are going to be staying you should call ahead and ask them about it. Don't just ask if their spaces could accommodate you but if you will be able to maneuver the roads in their park safely.

Thank you! After posting my question, I checked out quite a few campgrounds online, and I think that as long as I reserve a spot in advance we should not have too many problems with this.

We travel with our adult son who has disabilities, and this floor plan will give him plenty of space and privacy.

Getting excited now!!! Going for a second look at this travel trailer today.
    :D

4. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

When you make your reservations be sure to ask them about driving through the CG. If you read the reviews on some you will see they say they are big rig friendly but the RV'er had a lot of difficulty maneuvering through the drive. Will you be traveling around the country or just fairly close to home?

5. edcornflake

edcornflake
    Expand Collapse

I always look for the 'tight roads, low branches' comments in the reviews before I book, and when I call for reservations (never on-line) I talk to the person and let them know I have a long camper and a long truck and need lots of room to maneuver. More often than not, my issue is having enough room to back in because the turning radius on the truck is so big, I end up running out of room across from my campsite. Pull Thru sites are much better for me. We did 'length' ourselves out of our favorite county park - the roads are too narrow to be comfortable getting in and out.

6. Organic1

Organic1
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(dalsgal @ Feb 13 2013, 02:54 PM) [snapback]32604[/snapback]

When you make your reservations be sure to ask them about driving through the CG. If you read the reviews on some you will see they say they are big rig friendly but the RV'er had a lot of difficulty maneuvering through the drive. Will you be traveling around the country or just fairly close to home?

We will be staying within about a 75 - 100 mile radius 95% of the time. Plenty to see around here, and lots of places to camp.

I will for sure ask about tight turns, etc. Thank you for that suggestion. I would not have thought of it.