Travel Opinions

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by bootscooter, Feb 20, 2013.

1. bootscooter

bootscooter
    Expand Collapse

My wife and I are planning our first trip south and would like to get feedback from y'all as to whether mid April is an O.K. time to go to Southern Miss. and and Sousthern Ala.. How early do I need to make reservations. We are not interested in swimming in the Gulf, just want to sightsee.

2. justinemily

justinemily
    Expand Collapse

I had visited south during this period as i like the most is the environment is good..

3. wpr

wpr
    Expand Collapse

Hi bootscooter,

Five years ago our travels brought us from the Columbus area in Georgia to Huntsville in northern Alabama via Montgomery around April 20 t0 25. The whether was perfect for sightseeing even in Huntsville. Hope this helps.

4. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

bootscooter,

I am not certain what you mean when you ask if "mid April is an O.K. time" to visit southern MS and AL. Are you inquiring about the crowds that time of year, the weather, or what. The previous response seems to think you are asking about the weather. I am not sure what the other reply is refering to when it mentions "the environment". According to the old Weather Amanac I have, Mobile, AL should have temperature in the 60s and 70s in April. When I visited that area regularly 8-15 years ago, it was in May and the temperatures were usually in the 80s.

Except for weekends, you shouldn't have to be too concerned with making reservations at this time of year. The spring break season is over and some snowbirds are already leaving their nests. It doesn't hurt to call a few days ahead just to make sure.

5. bootscooter

bootscooter
    Expand Collapse

Jerry S
    You are correct on both accounts. I was asking about the weather and whether I would have trouble finding a campground and if so, how far in advance do I need to make reservations. Thank you all for your replys, its is well appreciated.

6. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

Enough snowbirds will have left to open up a lot of campground spots. Remember to get Passport America for your 50% discounts.

7. busyteach

busyteach
    Expand Collapse

We left Kentucky before Easter and headed toward South Texas and then around the Gulf down to Ft Meyers and are now into 4th week. Weather has ranged from 60-85+ even with the cold front passing through. We are in Ft Meyers and have already driven 4000 miles so stopping st a different place almost every night, without reservations. It seems this is the open space when snowbirds have flown north and spring breaks are over. It has been perfect timing for us for a road trip. We loved the Alabama coastline, particularly Dauphin Island. We also enjoyed driving the coast toward Biloxi although we did not camp there because we were staying in front of the weather system. Even this week in Ft Meyers Beach, no problems getting a site much to our surprise. Happy travels!

Paul & Debbie
    2011 Via

8. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

We traveled to Florida the last week of February, and stayed in various CG's until we headed back north the last week of March. We never made any reservations, and had no problem getting sites in our first choice CG's in Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, and Pennsylvania.