14 Day Round Trip From Denver

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by adamabz, Mar 6, 2013.

1. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(jamarynn1 @ Apr 1 2013, 08:01 PM) [snapback]32949[/snapback]

You want to be darned careful that you're within the length and height restrictions, because if you get up there to the mouth of the tunnel and the attendant won't let you through, there's no place to turn around. I don't know what they do when that happens. I was talking to a lady in the park who said that the guys at the park entry told her that she was OK to go through, and she paid the fee (you must pay a fee because they have to stop traffic coming from the other direction, as you have to drive down the middle of the tunnel) and when she got to the mouth of the tunnel, the attendant refused her entry. She argued with him and showed him her permit and he reluctantly let her through. She said she was sweating bricks at the fear he'd refuse to let her go. We're 39' long and 13'1" high and there's NO WAY we'd try that. It's fun driving through in a truck, though.

When you enter the park the gate attendant has a set of lines drawn on the road that measures the length of your rig. That is how they determine if you are legal. If you are within the lines you are ok. If over the lines they tell you you can't go and put a sticker on your windshield.

2. edcornflake

edcornflake
    Expand Collapse

I really like reading all the collaborative planning being done here. In a few years when my kids are old enough to appreciate it, I'm hoping to drive from NJ to Yellowstone with plenty of historic/scenic stops along the way (I mentioned this as a possibility in another thread) and will be looking for similar support from my RVParkReview friends!

Adam,
    When you finish with this trip, i'd love to see a link to pictures! Congrats on your decision to take such a splendid vacation in the US.

3. rkw99

rkw99
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(edcornflake @ Apr 2 2013, 11:12 AM) [snapback]32959[/snapback]

I really like reading all the collaborative planning being done here. In a few years when my kids are old enough to appreciate it, I'm hoping to drive from NJ to Yellowstone with plenty of historic/scenic stops along the way (I mentioned this as a possibility in another thread) and will be looking for similar support from my RVParkReview friends!

Adam,
    When you finish with this trip, i'd love to see a link to pictures! Congrats on your decision to take such a splendid vacation in the US.

Ed, when you plan your trip make sure to post your route. because we too are waiting till our kids are old enough to appreciate Yellowstone (but not too old to be bored with it). And we are in NJ also! We stay pretty local for now.

4. edcornflake

edcornflake
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(rkw99 @ Apr 2 2013, 05:00 PM) [snapback]32961[/snapback]

Ed, when you plan your trip make sure to post your route. because we too are waiting till our kids are old enough to appreciate Yellowstone (but not too old to be bored with it). And we are in NJ also! We stay pretty local for now.

RKW, I absoluty will do that. I think we're going back to WDW in Florida next year (pretty straight shot down 95). I'm hoping that the year after that will be the time to take 2 + weeks off and see a whole big bunch of the country (as much as a non retired RVer can see in 2 weeks, anyway).

5. adamabz

adamabz
    Expand Collapse

Hi Again everybody,
    Just over 3 weeks until we fly to Denver.
    We have decided to stay in colorado springs for 2 nights, can any of you recommend a good RV park to stay at thats close to the attractions, i have looked at the garden of the goods but have seen bad reviews and also fountain creek!!
    As i have stated above we do not have a car so will be relying on public transport, walking or hiring a car if we like the look of something that is a little to far to walk..
    After Colorado springs we have a rough route but are not pre-booking any RV parks so we are not tied to getting places at a certain time, just in case we see something on route that we like the look of, all we know is we are heading towards sanat fa after the springs.......

6. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

Hi again Adam,

I'm glad to hear that your trip is still on. Unfortunately, I cannot give you a recommendation for any of the parks in Colorado Springs. As I mentioned in a previous post, I have stayed at the KOA 10 miles south in Fountain and the Pueblo South KOA at Colorado City another 60 miles to the south. These parks are too far away from any Colorado Springs attractions you may want to see considering your "carless" situation. You could try contacting some of the Colorado Springs parks (Garden of the Gods, Fountain Creek, etc.) to see if they have any type of shuttle to these places or know of convenient public transportation to any sights you may want to see. It is possible that they could advise you on how to get to places like the Pike's Peak Cog Railway, Garden of the Gods, etc. without a car.

Are you still planning on going all the way out to Las Vegas and then back to Denver?

Good Luck.

7. adamabz

adamabz
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Jerry S. @ Jun 26 2013, 05:03 AM) [snapback]33927[/snapback]

Hi again Adam,

I'm glad to hear that your trip is still on. Unfortunately, I cannot give you a recommendation for any of the parks in Colorado Springs. As I mentioned in a previous post, I have stayed at the KOA 10 miles south in Fountain and the Pueblo South KOA at Colorado City another 60 miles to the south. These parks are too far away from any Colorado Springs attractions you may want to see considering your "carless" situation. You could try contacting some of the Colorado Springs parks (Garden of the Gods, Fountain Creek, etc.) to see if they have any type of shuttle to these places or know of convenient public transportation to any sights you may want to see. It is possible that they could advise you on how to get to places like the Pike's Peak Cog Railway, Garden of the Gods, etc. without a car.

Are you still planning on going all the way out to Las Vegas and then back to Denver?

Good Luck.

hi Gerry
    Have spoken to garden of the God's and they have advised that there is local transport but I have heard mixed reviews about this place. If the attraction are within a few miles we would walk. Even using a taxi would be an option
    yes we are still heading to Las Vegas.
    Adam.