Roads In Pennsylvania....i78!!!

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by campergal, Apr 11, 2013.

1. campergal

campergal
    Expand Collapse

Holy moly! Just got offI78 in Pennslyvania....ROUGH! Ended up stranded in New Ork at a truck stop with a broken seal and wheel bearings needing replacing then finally. Got to park and couldn't open bedroom slide...think something jarred loose. All the clothes in the closet were shook off. Heading to RV dealer today to get slide looked at. This is a 2013 trailer and we were to going overly fast, avg 6 mh. Will certainly make a note to NOT travel that route again!

2. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Your not the first to complain about that highway. I've been on it several times and I plan on using I78 on a trip next month to Gettysburg...I just dread that highway, its been terrible for years. I generally take it much slower than normal. I have also noticed the other RVs bouncing on the highway, so I know its not just me.

Sorry to hear what happened, hope your repairs are not to expensive.

Mike

3. pillaz

pillaz
    Expand Collapse

I Just got Off 81 in PA. Worst road I have ever driven! We got shaken so hard that I cannot believe nothing is broken. With all of the RV ers in Pennsylvania you would think someone would WRITE to a congressman about those Roads. STAY OUT OF PA!!!

4. MaineDon

MaineDon
    Expand Collapse

I think Pennsylvania has the worst roads in the country......and we drive coast-to-coast twice a year. Last fall, I lost three hubcaps and one grease seal crossing PA. On top of this, two wheel bearings were crushed, resulting in a flat tire on the 5'er. I hate driving across PA.

5. Tom

Tom
    Expand Collapse

I thought I heard I78 was repaved? We traveled over that on one of our trips years ago, and the whoop-de-doos were HUGE -- I was afraid of bending my hitch. I remember that I slowed down to 40-45mph, and I wasn't the only one going that slow.

Since then, on Open Roads forum, I thought someone said that the road was repaved/fixed. Maybe only a certain section?

It is amazing, though, how fast a road can get "bad" after repaving. Seems like more time and money should be spent for better paving - there are all sorts of methods and products to use paving roads, seems like the states automatically go for what's cheapest both in cost and quality.

6. joez

joez
    Expand Collapse

It is amazing, though, how fast a road can get "bad" after repaving. Seems like more time and money should be spent for better paving - there are all sorts of methods and products to use paving roads, seems like the states automatically go for what's cheapest both in cost and quality.

I do not pretend to be an expert by any means, but going for the cheapest is exactly what is required. I used to notice when traveling in Europe that the roads seemed to be in better shape generally, even in areas with severe winters. I was told by a good friend of mine, who happens to be an engineer who designs highways (whatever the right title is) that we are required by law in the US to give road contracts to the lowest bidder. He claimed that in Europe they were allowed to consider other factors than just low price. This means that someone quoting a "better" product than the simple asphalt/concrete we use here could never win a repair contract. Of course, I am sure that to suddenly double or quadruple the cost of road repair would not be popular at election time.

In any case, I am always astounded when we begin our annual journey out of Florida just how awful road surfaces are as soon as you start driving north of the freeze lines. IMO, PA roads are among the worst, I-65 in IN rivals those for a bad road, and the last time we drove in WI and MN, I thought our motorhome was going to shake apart.

7. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Partly true, but the law usually requires accepting the lowest bid that meets the specifications set by the agency requesting bids for the project. The construction contractor does not normally specify the materials to be used.

8. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Just got back from a trip to PA, was on I78 & 81 to Harrisburg, Highway had some repaving, it wasn't the best but better than it has been in the past.

that said the highway on I-684 in NY was terrible.

Mike

9. A.E.Michell

A.E.Michell
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(mdcamping @ May 21 2013, 09:02 PM) [snapback]33541[/snapback]

Just got back from a trip to PA, was on I78 & 81 to Harrisburg, Highway had some repaving, it wasn't the best but better than it has been in the past.

that said the highway on I-684 in NY was terrible.

Mike

I wold like to toss in I 10 in La. It lasts for only 15 jarring,shattering miles but very memorable too..

10. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

That is a memorable area. You should have traveled it when the potholes went all the way from Houston to Mississippi.

11. Luvtheroad

Luvtheroad
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(A.E.Michell @ May 22 2013, 07:21 AM) [snapback]33544[/snapback]

I wold like to toss in I 10 in La. It lasts for only 15 jarring,shattering miles but very memorable too..

What got us on I-10 in La. was the "porpoise-ing" that our fiver did. It didn't seem to matter what speed we did, we porpoised badly. That's the only spot of road across the country that we had that problem.

12. pclivinthedream

pclivinthedream
    Expand Collapse

We just traveled I78 in May and did'nt think is was too bad compared to I81 and I84. I have to agree that this states roads are the worst we have traveled and dread having to go through this state. With all the travel that goes through there you thing that they would do something with there roads.