Oops, I Dropped A Spoon In My Rv Toilet

Discussion in 'Towing, Vehicles, Maintenance and Repairs' started by DXSMac, Apr 16, 2013.

1. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

So, you ask, how did I drop a spoon in the toilet?

I wash my dishes in a rubbermaid tub, then I dump the water down the toilet. This way, my tanks fill up evenly and it adds liquid to the toilet. Well, I didn't know I still had a spoon in there when I dumped the water. It's a regular eating spoon. I turned the water off and looked with a flashlight, I can see it down there. I tried using a "picker upper" tool, can't seem to get it. Should I go to an RV dealer and have them get it out?

2. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

I went to the hardware store, there was a telescoping magnet, but it was on a slanted pole, not a straight one. I bought a "grabber" tool, it didn't work. Couldn't "get" the spoon with it. I finally just stuck my hand down there, and retrieved it. I should have worn gloves, but I couldn't feel it with gloves on.

Spoon has been bleached.

3. fpullanosr

fpullanosr
    Expand Collapse

If I were you I would leave it alone unless it gives me a problem. It would be a very expensive proposition to have the spoon removed.

If a problem develops it may be cheapest to drop and replace the holding tank.

4. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I'm guessing the spoon is metal... could get one of those magnets on a wand...I think sears sells them, tie a strong string on it and try fishing...see what happens.

hope your not going to keep that spoon when you finally remove it! :blink: :D

Mike

Glamping RN likes this.
  5. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

I posted this on Forest River Forums, and a lot of people are having a field day with this! One person was laughing so hard he had to get his asthma inhaler out.

Alleymon likes this.
  6. wpr

wpr
    Expand Collapse

Glad you got it out. I suppose your spoon is stainless steel, a magnet does not work on it. If you leave the spoon in the tank it might be flushed out into the campground's system, not too serious if it's directly in the septic tank. but a possible big headache for the campground's operator if it blocks the waste-water pipes. There are some long-handled grabbing tools on the market and also low-cost inspection cameras with a 4 or 5 foot cable that could come in handy if this ever happens again, but I think you learned your lesson! :)

7. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Apr 16 2013, 07:31 PM) [snapback]33096[/snapback]

Spoon has been bleached.

Has your arm been bleached also?

8. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(wprigge @ Apr 17 2013, 07:24 AM) [snapback]33101[/snapback]

There are some long-handled grabbing tools on the market and also low-cost inspection cameras with a 4 or 5 foot cable that could come in handy if this ever happens again, but I think you learned your lesson! :)

I tried a long handled grabbing tool, but it was in a place where the tool couldn't get to it.

My main concern was potential damage to the black tank. But, since I retrieved the spoon, I bleached it good, and I even ate with it, no problems!

9. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Apr 17 2013, 10:22 PM) [snapback]33109[/snapback]

I even ate with it, no problems!

Yet! but it is still early.

10. willranless

willranless
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(wprigge @ Apr 17 2013, 09:24 AM) [snapback]33101[/snapback]

If you leave the spoon in the tank it might be flushed out into the campground's system, not too serious if it's directly in the septic tank. but a possible big headache for the campground's operator if it blocks the waste-water pipes.

I once had a sewer blockage caused by a ten foot sewer hose that was accidentally dropped down the sewer connection. Fortunately it lodged in the manhole and the plumber was able to climb down and snag it with a hook. If it had gotten stuck farther up the pipe, it could have been, as you say, "a BIG headache".

11. Alessandro

Alessandro
    Expand Collapse

We had exactly the same stupid situation. We got it out rather easily... with a fish-hook on a strong sea fishing-line. Just on and on and on, until it stuck. Then pulling with care; easy does it.

12. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

I was sure that your spoon would have been sterling silver. Just kidding. I once dropped my cell phone on the concrete right next (3" from the hole) to the sewer drain while setting up to dump. I never leave them in my top pocket anymore while dumping. I cleaned it up and it worked fine. It was on setup. not after dumping.

13. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Apr 16 2013, 04:31 PM) [snapback]33096[/snapback]

?..I finally just stuck my hand down there, and retrieved it....

I am amazed you could reach the bottom of the tank, by sticking your arm down the toilet!
    :eek:

14. ETF

ETF
    Expand Collapse

OK, somebody has to ask. What the heck were you doing with a spoon in the toilet in the first place ????? Inquiring minds everywhere need to know.

15. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(ETF @ May 15 2013, 02:20 AM) [snapback]33426[/snapback]

OK, somebody has to ask. What the heck were you doing with a spoon in the toilet in the first place ????? Inquiring minds everywhere need to know.

Read the first post - she dumps the dishwater down the toilet. She didn't know there was still a spoon in the dishwater.

16. ETF

ETF
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(HappiestCamper @ May 15 2013, 08:03 AM) [snapback]33429[/snapback]

Read the first post - she dumps the dishwater down the toilet. She didn't know there was still a spoon in the dishwater.

Whoops, my bad!!!!!

It takes all kinds I guess.

17. spartancaver

spartancaver
    Expand Collapse

No way in heck would I use that spoon. Removing it to prevent damage to the black water tank or dump station is good to do. But eating with it? Tell me your name and I'll not share a meal with you guys. My daughter once used our oral thermometer on her infant son inserting into the bottom. I spray painted the device and bought a new one for oral.
    Sorry, all the bleaching and all the steam cleaning would not get me to use that spoon again.

18. Denali

Denali
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(spartancaver @ Jun 22 2013, 04:11 AM) [snapback]33869[/snapback]

No way in heck would I use that spoon. Removing it to prevent damage to the black water tank or dump station is good to do. But eating with it? Tell me your name and I'll not share a meal with you guys. My daughter once used our oral thermometer on her infant son inserting into the bottom. I spray painted the device and bought a new one for oral.
    Sorry, all the bleaching and all the steam cleaning would not get me to use that spoon again.

Now that's some cootiephobia!

19. RV Camper1

RV Camper1
    Expand Collapse

Strange place to be washing your dishes............. ;)

20. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

This reminds me of a time when one of my friends had lost his leatherman (back when they first came out). He thought that maybe it had fallen on the floor of one of the port-o-lets, which were already packed up. When he found someone dealing with the potties, he asked if anyone had found a leatherman. "What's a leatherman?" was the reply - again, they had just come on the market. When he explained, the guy said no, but to hang on. He then looked through the "contents", and found it. He squirted the blue chemicals and picked it up and tried to hand it to him - as far as he was concerned, the blue stuff made it sterile. My friend said "Keep it."