Towing Questions

Discussion in 'Towing, Vehicles, Maintenance and Repairs' started by RetiredTeacher, Apr 25, 2013.

1. RetiredTeacher

RetiredTeacher
    Expand Collapse

We are currently towing our 30Ft. Holiday Rambler with a 1997 GMC 1500 Sierra with 350 cubic inch, fuel injected V8. We have over 140,000 miles on it and have had no problems (except a fuel pump), even though we know we are towing more than suggested. We looked at a 2012 Ram 1500 ST with the same size engine as our 97, that is supposed to tow over 10,000 lbs. Anyone have any thoughts?

2. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

Towing limits for vehicles are not "suggestions" they are maximum safe towing limits as stated by a vehicle's manufacturer. You are almost certainly exceeding the towing limits for your current truck and may also be exceeding its GVWR. I am glad you have not had any problems, but if you were to be in a serious accident you might find yourself in serious legal jeopardy because you knowingly exceeded your vehicle's capability.

With a 30 ft RV you almost assuredly need a 2500 series truck and a 3500 would probably be a better choice. You would be best served by starting with the gross and hitch weights of your RV and finding trucks capable of handling that load, while also carrying you and your family. Just because you have been safe with an overloaded tow vehicle in the past doesn't mean you should purchase another one.

3. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

I would also think your own insurance coverage might be voided if you violate the stated safe limits of the maker. Sad, but true.

4. wpr

wpr
    Expand Collapse

When I bought my first travel trailer a wise old RVer told me to always buy the tow vehicle one size bigger than you need for the trailer. That's what I always did and I don't regret.

5. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Apr 26 2013, 01:06 PM) [snapback]33205[/snapback]

I would also think your own insurance coverage might be voided if you violate the stated safe limits of the maker. Sad, but true.

I don't know why you consider this sad? If misuse of equipment contributes to an accident or to the severity of one, why should an insurance company be responsible for paying for the damages? It's like those inserts that come with appliances these days, "don't use your hairdryer in the bathtub; if you do and get electrocuted don't sue us!" The same thing is true of tow vehicles, "don't exceed the GVWR or the GCVWR otherwise we won't be responsible."

6. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

Trying to break it gently to the OP as he had already been doing it previously. I should have been more mean I guess. Sorry.

7. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

I wasn't advocating being mean, but IMHO knowingly exceeding tow limits on a vehicle is totally irresponsible behavior and endangers not just the OP and his family but anyone who has the misfortune to be in his way when he loses control of his vehicle as a result of the overloading. It's one thing if someone does something without understanding the issue, but the OP states he knows he is exceeding the towing "suggestions" for his vehicle. It's often said that ignorance of the law is not a defense for breaking it; if you know the law and break it then, in my book, you deserve to have the book thrown at you.

8. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

First, welcome to the forum. You did not say whether your RV was a TT or a 5W nor give the weight. If 5W then there is tongue weight on the bed to consider. Tow capability can depend on rear end gear ratio. You should compare those numbers. I have a friend with a 2013 1500 and he can only tow 9250 - as per the manufacture specs. Have you checked the owner's manual for the one you are considering?

9. RetiredTeacher

RetiredTeacher
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the replies and the informative information. The dealership called and said that truck can only tow 8700 lbs. so we are no longer considering it. We are seriously looking at a Silverado 2500 HD that we are sure will be adequate.

10. spartancaver

spartancaver
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(docj @ Apr 25 2013, 10:45 PM) [snapback]33201[/snapback]

Towing limits for vehicles are not "suggestions" they are maximum safe towing limits as stated by a vehicle's manufacturer. You are almost certainly exceeding the towing limits for your current truck and may also be exceeding its GVWR. I am glad you have not had any problems, but if you were to be in a serious accident you might find yourself in serious legal jeopardy because you knowingly exceeded your vehicle's capability.

With a 30 ft RV you almost assuredly need a 2500 series truck and a 3500 would probably be a better choice. You would be best served by starting with the gross and hitch weights of your RV and finding trucks capable of handling that load, while also carrying you and your family. Just because you have been safe with an overloaded tow vehicle in the past doesn't mean you should purchase another one.

You can call GMC Customer Service with your VIN number and they can tell you exactly how much trailer you can tow. And it is without a doubt, the best Customer Service help line I have ever called.

11. EastPAcamper

EastPAcamper
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(RetiredTeacher @ Apr 27 2013, 03:17 PM) [snapback]33220[/snapback]

Thanks for the replies and the informative information. The dealership called and said that truck can only tow 8700 lbs. so we are no longer considering it. We are seriously looking at a Silverado 2500 HD that we are sure will be adequate.

A 2500HD should be enough to tow that camper, not sure if you are buying new or used. If buying new, get the extra optional towing equipment. extended slide out mirrors, intergrated brake controller, heavy duty cooling, they may seem expensive on paper, but they far worth the price, especialy on resale of the vehicle.

12. VtLee

VtLee
    Expand Collapse

I was on the New York Thruway today and saw a 5th wheel tri axle toy hauler being pulled by a GMC 1500 without towing mirrows. I guess people figure if they can go 65+ mph they are not exceeding their towing limit and they don't need to see who is behind them.

13. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

QUOTE(VtLee @ Jun 23 2013, 08:42 PM) [snapback]33892[/snapback]

I was on the New York Thruway today and saw a 5th wheel tri axle toy hauler being pulled by a GMC 1500 without towing mirrows. I guess people figure if they can go 65+ mph they are not exceeding their towing limit and they don't need to see who is behind them.

Hopefully, they are never at fault in an accident. With such a flagrant disregard for towing limits they could easily find themselves without insurance to cover their claim. It's amazing to me that companies that insure trailers don't ask what vehicle it will be towed by.