Energy Saving Cooking

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by pianotuna, May 23, 2013.

1. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

I hate burning propane--so I tried this today.

I put two eggs (in the shell) inside the four cup drip coffee pot.

I filled it with water, then poured the water into the reservoir.

Then I made coffee and waiting 25 minutes.

End result was two nicely hard cooked eggs.

The coffee pot initially uses about 530 watts for seven minutes. Then it cycles once every three minutes for 13 seconds.

I know that 15 minutes was not enough time. I suspect I'll try 20 minutes next time to try to get a nicely soft boiled egg.

2. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

I ended up short changing myself for time for supper--so I decided what the heck--and cooked myself another coffee pot egg.

This time I took the egg out at 20 minutes (it had been in the fridge at 40 f). Energy use according to my kill-a-watt was 0.08 of a kwh, so 80 watt hours. I did continue to test until 25 minutes had gone bye but the end result was still 0.08 kwh.

80 watt hours / 10 = 8 amp-hours.

For those of you who cook, the egg was barely done to soft boiled status. I think 21 minutes would be a better time--or if the egg had been at room temperature that also might have helped.

3. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

Why not cook up a bunch of eggs (hard boiled) when you are running your generator. They keep for a long time in the fridge.

4. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi Lindsay,

I don't own a generator.

5. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

Well, that shoots down that idea.

6. Fred1609

Fred1609
    Expand Collapse

we just bought a small induction "hot plate"...works great. Never gonna use propane in the rig again.

7. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi Fred,

Does it work on your inverter?

8. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Aw gee! Just go to Wal-Mart or Fred Meyer and in the housewares section, NordicWare makes all kinds of microwave dishes. There is a microwave egg boiler, I use mine all the time! I even have a microwave omelet maker, works great, but you have to follow the tedious directions exactly. I even have a microwave rice cooker, cooks rice just as good as what you get in Chinese restaurants.

And, I have an electric skillet. I also try never to use propane.

Unless you have to run your A/C, then I HAVE to run water heater on propane. I'm only 30 amp, I learned my lesson about running an A/C AND the electric water heater, I fried a cord doing that.

9. Traveling man

Traveling man
    Expand Collapse

Okay, I'm curious what's the hatred of propane about?

I prefer cooking with propane or natural gas vs electric, and tasted a microwaved egg once and never again.

Propane is fairly cheap, except when you run propane heat all month in below freezing temperatures, but still pretty reasonable. Despite the huge increases in my gas bill, my propane cost is about the same as 5 years ago when started full time. :rolleyes:

10. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi Jim,

I don't hate burning propane, but the small towns simply do not have the facilities to refill a built in propane tank. In a 13 month period I burned $17 worth of propane.

Solar energy comes to me for free--since the panels, controller, and installation are a one time cost.

11. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi JJ,

Is that one of those egg poacher things? Or does it do it "in the shell" (I enjoy burning my fingers? LOL)?

If the voltage stays high, you can run both the A/C and the water heater. It is only when it goes low(ish) that the A/C will draw more amps than the cords were intended to handle. It is also good practise (but expensive) to replace the molded ends on the main power cord. Male ends are easy to find-- in line female ones (just like real life) are harder to come by.

You might think about adding an auxiliary shore power cord. That way when there is only a 15 amp service you can still run the A/C and the electric fry pan, too (if there are two separate 15 amp circuits that is).

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Jul 2 2013, 09:26 AM) [snapback]34007[/snapback]

There is a microwave egg boiler, I use mine all the time!

And, I have an electric skillet. I also try never to use propane.

Unless you have to run your A/C, then I HAVE to run water heater on propane. I'm only 30 amp, I learned my lesson about running an A/C AND the electric water heater, I fried a cord doing that.