First Rv Trip And Looking For Advice

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by dwindham12659, Jun 4, 2013.

1. dwindham12659

dwindham12659
    Expand Collapse

We will be taking our 1st RV trip in July (so excited). I am hoping that some of you more seasoned pros will offer a little advice on where to go.

We are in SE Alabama and want to stay within about 100 miles due to my Mother's health. Will be 3 adults and 1 child (12 yr old boy) traveling.

We have a 35' Airstream Land Yacht with a slide out.

Looking for full hookup and pull through (that's not a deal breaker).

Would like a place with swimming, fishing, exploring. Also would love to go off the beaten path and not be smack in the middle of masses of people.

Any ideas???

Now again, this our first RV trip (just got the RV) and also I am still learning the lingo :D

TIA

2. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

If you can, do a weekend outside your home "pretending" you are 100 miles away. Be sure to make the trailer level.

3. Dinosaur3200

Dinosaur3200
    Expand Collapse

I have not been there yet but I have heard the Gulf State Park in Gulf Shores is great.

4. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

You want a FHU RV park with swimming, fishing, and exploring (What is it you want to explore?)but you don't want crowds of other people around in July. Lots of luck! If a park is that nice and has that much to offer, it is going to be popular. I'm guessing that your "no crowds" requirement completely takes anything on the Gulf Coast out of the picture. Unfortunately, I have no experience with RV parks in SE Alabama. Gulf Shores, AL and the Panhandle of FL, yes - but that was years ago. Good Luck!

5. Tom

Tom
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(pianotuna @ Jun 4 2013, 04:25 PM) [snapback]33701[/snapback]

Hi,

If you can, do a weekend outside your home "pretending" you are 100 miles away. Be sure to make the trailer level.

This ^

Have you done a "driveway campout" yet? I strongly suggest it to all new campers. Learn your camper's systems, begin getting all the "stuff" loaded into the camper.

6. weighit

weighit
    Expand Collapse

Our very first trailer camping experience was at the closest rv park we could find, 10 miles. We figured we were close enough to the house should something go amiss and we needed to go get something we forgot. Yep, the trailer keys! So glad we were not hundreds of miles away for that issue. Next thing we did was add a hide a key box under the trailer so that would never be a problem again. We had a ball, got to try all the stuff and made sure it all worked and learned what we didn't know. Have fun with your new rig.

7. Luvtheroad

Luvtheroad
    Expand Collapse

I haven't been there for some years and only camped in a tent there, but Blackwater River State Park in Holt, FL just might be perfect for you. Clean, sandy-bottom river for swimming and tubing. Hiking.

8. Skymessenger

Skymessenger
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Dinosaur3200 @ Jun 4 2013, 06:49 PM) [snapback]33702[/snapback]

I have not been there yet but I have heard the Gulf State Park in Gulf Shores is great.

We were going to stay there once and they put us in a location which was in the back section. The grass has not been cut and it was very high. If you can get a lot on the bay it is a great place to camp. Just check your spot before you paid for it..... Good luck..... :)

9. kcjflea

kcjflea
    Expand Collapse

We stayed in 2 places in that part of the country, one was a great park off of a huge lake north of Tuscaloosa. Primitive but very nice. The second had everything and consistently high ratings near Santa Rosa Beach FL. We traveled 5 months last year and covered 36 states and four Provinces. Live Oak Landing in Freeport FL was one of three places we gave a 10!

10. jan-n-john

jan-n-john
    Expand Collapse

Try using the "Campground Search" feature here on RV Park Reviews. Click on campground search above, check off the things you want (keep to a minimum), pick your town in the Alabama list, select for campgrounds within 100 miles, and you'll see what comes up. I use it often. You can scan down the list that comes up and see the numerical ratings that each campground has received, which will help in selecting a good one. Click on ones you might be interested in and the link will take you to that listing.

11. SilverOtter

SilverOtter
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(dwindham12659 @ Jun 4 2013, 02:42 PM) [snapback]33698[/snapback]

We will be taking our 1st RV trip in July (so excited). I am hoping that some of you more seasoned pros will offer a little advice on where to go.

We are in SE Alabama and want to stay within about 100 miles due to my Mother's health. Will be 3 adults and 1 child (12 yr old boy) traveling.

We have a 35' Airstream Land Yacht with a slide out.

Looking for full hookup and pull through (that's not a deal breaker).

Would like a place with swimming, fishing, exploring. Also would love to go off the beaten path and not be smack in the middle of masses of people.

Any ideas???

Now again, this our first RV trip (just got the RV) and also I am still learning the lingo :D

TIA

As Airstreamers, be sure to join the Air Forms: http://www.airforums.com/. Look for posts from The Silver Otter to talk with us, and hundreds of others who share willingly with the Airstream family.