Kilns

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by KathleenHamlet, Jun 16, 2013.

1. KathleenHamlet

KathleenHamlet
    Expand Collapse

I havent seen this addressed anywhere. I want to sell my house, buy an RV and travel/work. I am also a potter. While I dont need much space for my clay work, I want to fire it in my own kiln. Can anyone tell me if this is possible at an RV park? Electric Kilns come as small or as large as needed, and from 110v/20amp to 240V/100 amp and everything in between. Thanks for the input. Kathleen

2. ducmons

ducmons
    Expand Collapse

My wife is a potter. I'm not sure that I'd want to bring her kiln with us. In theory, would be great, but from what I've seen, they aren't really built to be moved a lot, or to be out in the elements, and having it the RV or in an enclosed area like the RV wouldn't be the safest due to the extreme temperatures they reach. The hook up isn't the problem. You could just get plugs that work with the 30/50 amp, and unplug your trailer/rv/camper set up while you use the kiln.

3. KathleenHamlet

KathleenHamlet
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(ducmons @ Jun 17 2013, 01:14 AM) [snapback]33798[/snapback]

My wife is a potter. I'm not sure that I'd want to bring her kiln with us. In theory, would be great, but from what I've seen, they aren't really built to be moved a lot, or to be out in the elements, and having it the RV or in an enclosed area like the RV wouldn't be the safest due to the extreme temperatures they reach. The hook up isn't the problem. You could just get plugs that work with the 30/50 amp, and unplug your trailer/rv/camper set up while you use the kiln.

I would not want it in the RV...and I was thinking of securing it to the RV with a cover. Or in the well underneath some of them. My kiln is outside, now, with a small shed roof over it. Its not large. I was also wondering about the various rules that many states have regarding these types of things. Im definately doing my homework before I do anything. Thanks for your help..Kathleen

4. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

A kiln would probably be pretty heavy and should be carried on a trailer of some sort. That would make it more difficult to have a tow car unless you had a trailer large enough to carry both. Not all campgrounds would have deep enough lots for your RV, trailer and car when you are parked for a while.

5. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

If you do do it go for the smallest one that your work will fit into.

6. WrongWayRandall

WrongWayRandall
    Expand Collapse

Given that they (at least as far as I remember from the last time I used one) take time to heat up and cool down properly, and that they need to heat a piece for a long time (12+ hours, or more, for larger pieces) I'm not sure how the campground would respond. You might have to pay extra for the extra electric usage, and some owners might not allow it, so finding a spot where you can use the kiln could be an issue. Then you have to consider the vibration/jarring/etc. from transport, which can easily damage the fire brick lining - I would consult the manufacturer to see how well any given model will tolerate that much movement...

- Randy

7. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse