Chattanooga, Tn To Raleigh, Nc

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by shw, Jun 21, 2013.

1. shw

shw
    Expand Collapse

I am going from Chattanooga to Raleigh and would like advice on traveling through the mountains. I-40 goes from Knoxville to Asheville to Raleigh. I have a 5th wheel 30' and a Dodge 2500 diesel which pulls it fine. I just have not pulled it up and down mountains. Some of it gets pretty steep. I can go up to VA and come down to NC, but its longer. Thanks

2. jan-n-john

jan-n-john
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(shw @ Jun 21 2013, 04:14 PM) [snapback]33858[/snapback]

I am going from Chattanooga to Raleigh and would like advice on traveling through the mountains. I-40 goes from Knoxville to Asheville to Raleigh. I have a 5th wheel 30' and a Dodge 2500 diesel which pulls it fine. I just have not pulled it up and down mountains. Some of it gets pretty steep. I can go up to VA and come down to NC, but its longer. Thanks

A little late to reply here but I hope it helps. You have four choices, none ideal -- Knoxville and on via I-40 through the mountains doesn't actually involve much up and down, but I-40 through the Smokies is very narrow and winding (about 35 miles worth) and loaded with trucks, so if that bothers you you may want to think twice. The direct route is US-64 through the Ocoee Canyon and onward to Asheville via US23 and I-40. Not bad and very scenic but the 15 miles up through the Canyon are narrow and winding (I've pulled my rig through both of these many times; 12,000 lb. fiver and a dodge 3500). There are some mountain climbs and drops on this one, mostly in NC between Murphy and Asheville. Third possibility is VA as you mentioned, but that will also involve a climb and drop on I-77 at the VA/NC line -- it's also a bad fog area. The last possibility is to take I-75 down and around Atlanta (I-285) then take I-85. No mountains, but lots of rush hour heavy traffic in Atlanta. Pick your poison.

3. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

You can get a "Mountain Book" from Camping World that will give you the grades of various routes along major roads. It comes it an Eastern and Western versions. Generally expressways do not go over 6%. The book gives you how steep and how long. There may be a phone app by now.