10% Grade On Rte 22 Into Jackson Hole Wy

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by jmcf46, Jul 11, 2013.

1. jmcf46

jmcf46
    Expand Collapse

Have to go to Jackson Hole Wy. I was going to take Rte 22 through the Teton Pass but people warned me about the 10% grade. Will it be a problem pulling a 5th with a gas pickup?
    I fear burning out the brakes Etc. I burned the brakes coming out of Los Angeles on a long 7%.
    After redoing the rotors and pads and changing the brake fluid, the mechanic said to use your lower gears and tap the brakes lightly. Just don't relish the idea of no brakes coming down a mountain pass. Next truck will be a diesel with compression braking.

Jim

2. QueenofQuitealot

QueenofQuitealot
    Expand Collapse

Never actually driven it, but recently posted a question about this route on a different forum re towing a 30' TT. I was advised NOT to take that route due to the steep grade, twists & turns, & steep drop off.

http://www.wyoroad.info/Highway/Teton.pdf

There is an alternate route to Jackson from Idaho Falls via Hwys 26/89/26 (via Hoback). Haven't driven it (yet) but was told it was a much easier drive.

3. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

Generally speaking, if you have a major question about it, then err on the side of safety. I have been to Jackson Hole, but left the Class A in Yellowstone and went in the toad. Going RVing is supposed to be fun and white knuckle driving can sure put a damper on it. We avoid it with a passion.

4. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

Driving in he mountains is a skill set. I do it all the time. You need to watch your temps on the way up and down shift and take your foot out of it if youare getting too hot. On the down hill, you need to gear down. I have been on roads with the speed limit as low as 35 for trucks but the safe speed was 15. Gear down and stab your brakes.

5. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(John S. @ Jul 13 2013, 07:00 AM) [snapback]34105[/snapback]

Driving in he mountains is a skill set. I do it all the time. You need to watch your temps on the way up and down shift and take your foot out of it if youare getting too hot. On the down hill, you need to gear down. I have been on roads with the speed limit as low as 35 for trucks but the safe speed was 15. Gear down and stab your brakes.

I agree with John. Don't over tax your drive train on the way up and the same with your braking system on the way down. Take your time and use your brakes sparingly. You have far more control of the vehicle when you are using your engine and gears for braking.

Darrell

6. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(jmcf46 @ Jul 11 2013, 10:21 AM) [snapback]34090[/snapback]

Have to go to Jackson Hole Wy. I was going to take Rte 22 through the Teton Pass but people warned me about the 10% grade. Will it be a problem pulling a 5th with a gas pickup?
    I fear burning out the brakes Etc. I burned the brakes coming out of Los Angeles on a long 7%.
    After redoing the rotors and pads and changing the brake fluid, the mechanic said to use your lower gears and tap the brakes lightly. Just don't relish the idea of no brakes coming down a mountain pass. Next truck will be a diesel with compression braking.

Jim

Been down it with my 38 foot 5th wheel and 03 Ford F350 6.0 diesel with tow haul. Made it fine with a little brake smell at the bottom ( first time ever for that). WE are fulltimers and total rig weight is 22,000 lbs. It is long and steep. So start over the top at 20 mph, 4 ways flashers on, lowest gear you can do and watch the tach.

7. junkmanstan

junkmanstan
    Expand Collapse

I've been over it with my Ford F-350 and 5th wheel. Would not do it again due to the punishment on the truck. Definitely would not recommend it with a gas truck. Take a longer way.

8. Plumber

Plumber
    Expand Collapse

Came out of years ago,'01 Ram pulling 5er about 25000 GCW. Had no problems, exhaust brake did all work so no burning up brakes.

9. Windshift

Windshift
    Expand Collapse

I have towed a 31' travel trailer up that grade with a Suburban with the 8.1 liter engine. We made it but next time I will take the alternate route.