Trailer Tires

Discussion in 'Towing, Vehicles, Maintenance and Repairs' started by desertcamper05, Jul 21, 2013.

1. desertcamper05

desertcamper05
    Expand Collapse

I have a 26' toy hauler. I am so tired of replacing tires every 2 years. I keep them covered and always at the max pressure. My rig has 15" rims and I buy tires that are load range E which is more than my rig requires. Every chinese import I have used from no-names to Good Year Marathons form a bubble and seperate the tread. I have heard people using LT tires instead of ST, but I cannot find them in a 15" size. I would have to by all new 16" rims and invert the axles which I do not want to do. Does anybody have a trailer tire that they have had good luck with? I am aware of the speed ratings of ST tires and tow below 65 mph. Any sugestion would be greatly appreciated since I am now shopping for another set.

2. Tom

Tom
    Expand Collapse

Every 2 years for tire replacement seems extreme. How many miles a year do you put on your trailer? Also, with you taking care of the tires, sounds very much like something else is going wrong. Possibly your axles are not aligned correctly? Suspension is off somehow?

3. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(desertcamper05 @ Jul 21 2013, 11:24 PM) [snapback]34202[/snapback]

I have a 26' toy hauler. I am so tired of replacing tires every 2 years. I keep them covered and always at the max pressure. My rig has 15" rims and I buy tires that are load range E which is more than my rig requires. Every chinese import I have used from no-names to Good Year Marathons form a bubble and seperate the tread. I have heard people using LT tires instead of ST, but I cannot find them in a 15" size. I would have to by all new 16" rims and invert the axles which I do not want to do. Does anybody have a trailer tire that they have had good luck with? I am aware of the speed ratings of ST tires and tow below 65 mph. Any sugestion would be greatly appreciated since I am now shopping for another set.

This is my opinion and only my opinion but here it is. I buy the cheapest tire I can get as they are ALL made in China and not of any decent quality and take my chances. Like you I run one load range above what came on the trailer and hope for the best. Thing is trailer tires are designed to slide on the road when cornering and LT tires are meant to grip the road so if you have two or more axles the tires need to slide. I just replaced a tire bought in Nov 2011 that went with a side wall failure.

4. desertcamper05

desertcamper05
    Expand Collapse

Well, my trailer gets about 2000 miles or less a year. I would like to think that it could be an axle problem but I have the same problem with my boat trailer as well. I think it is just cheap garbage coming from China. I did find a trailer tire made by Cooper on line that has an S (117 mph) speed rating so I might try those. Both of my trailers experience the same tread seperation failure. An interesting note, a few years ago when I had Goodyear Marathons, 3 in the same trip failed and the tire dealer told me that Goodyear was having quality issues with their manufacturing in China. It seams that they left out the gum layer inbetween the tread and tire casing. Could that be whats happening here?????

5. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(desertcamper05 @ Jul 29 2013, 09:50 PM) [snapback]34284[/snapback]

Well, my trailer gets about 2000 miles or less a year. I would like to think that it could be an axle problem but I have the same problem with my boat trailer as well. I think it is just cheap garbage coming from China. I did find a trailer tire made by Cooper on line that has an S (117 mph) speed rating so I might try those. Both of my trailers experience the same tread seperation failure. An interesting note, a few years ago when I had Goodyear Marathons, 3 in the same trip failed and the tire dealer told me that Goodyear was having quality issues with their manufacturing in China. It seams that they left out the gum layer inbetween the tread and tire casing. Could that be whats happening here?????

I would love to use Cooper tires on my 5er but I wasn't aware Cooper made trailer tires. With a speed rating it is probably a passenger car tire.I just looked onm the Cooper site and didn't see a listing for trailer tires.

6. desertcamper05

desertcamper05
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(nedmtnman @ Jul 30 2013, 06:51 AM) [snapback]34290[/snapback]

I would love to use Cooper tires on my 5er but I wasn't aware Cooper made trailer tires. With a speed rating it is probably a passenger car tire.I just looked onm the Cooper site and didn't see a listing for trailer tires.

I found them on www.afordabletireca.com, but when I called them, they told me they could not get them anymore but had an ST radial from Hercules that was pretty good. Had them order for me and we'll see how those work out. - Steve

7. Traveling man

Traveling man
    Expand Collapse

I never had problems with trailer tires till a month ago, when I lost 2 tires on the same trip. I was driving on the freeway all day at 55-60 mph, and the outside air temperature was in the 90's. The RV dealer said that a lot of people were having the same problem this year, freeway driving when the outside temperature was very hot. He said that in all cases it was Chinese trailer tires, and that they are not able to handle the heat anywhere near as well as the US made tires. I'm considering ordering the US made Goodyear tires on the next change, even though they cost twice as much as the imports I'm now using.

8. jan-n-john

jan-n-john
    Expand Collapse

I sprang for Michelin ribs several years ago, filled them with nitrogen, and haven't looked back. Of course my rims are larger than 15"; can't help there. They cost an arm and a leg of course, but in general, IMO, tires are not a good place to economize.

9. Blue Highways Traveler

Blue Highways Traveler
    Expand Collapse

Some folks are running Michelin LTX (P) 235/75R15 XL tires and not having any problems. I'm still running Maxxis ST and they are holding up fine.

10. edcornflake

edcornflake
    Expand Collapse

I lost a tire in Deleware, and another in North Carolina in the same day... Took all 4 tires (2 blown, 2 not) to have them checked, Power King (original tires from Keystone) is giving me 90% of the value on 3 of them 'in good faith' because they cannot prove conclusively if the tires were defective, or something else happened. I replaced them with Good Year Marathons. ~ $200 a piece with mounting, balancing and 'incidentals'. I had never had a problem on either of my previous trailers, but I will pay extra for better tires from now on.