Tax Increase

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by A.E.Michell, Jul 29, 2013.

1. A.E.Michell

A.E.Michell
    Expand Collapse

A KOA problem I encountered us just beyond words to me. I reserved 1 night, paid in full as their rules. Upon checking in I was told there was a tax increase and I now owed 18 cents. So I told them I would need to go back to the rv as I only had a credit card so they waited and did not offer to let me go! I was speechless and still am. Thoughts anyone?

2. Luvtheroad

Luvtheroad
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(A.E.Michell @ Jul 29 2013, 07:58 PM) [snapback]34277[/snapback]

A KOA problem I encountered us just beyond words to me. I reserved 1 night, paid in full as their rules. Upon checking in I was told there was a tax increase and I now owed 18 cents. So I told them I would need to go back to the rv as I only had a credit card so they waited and did not offer to let me go! I was speechless and still am. Thoughts anyone?

I would probably have told them to put it on my card and see what they'd do. It would have cost them more than 18 cents to process the charge.

3. A.E.Michell

A.E.Michell
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(jamarynn1 @ Jul 29 2013, 09:15 PM) [snapback]34278[/snapback]

I would probably have told them to put it on my card and see what they'd do. It would have cost them more than 18 cents to process the charge.

I was told that would be ok too.

4. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

If you were dealing with workampers, they probably didn't have the authority to waive the 18 cents. An intelligent manager would have quickly dispensed of it, but don't assume all managers are intelligent. The tax money goes to the state, not the CG; if they choose not to absorb it they have that right.

5. A.E.Michell

A.E.Michell
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(docj @ Jul 29 2013, 10:32 PM) [snapback]34282[/snapback]

If you were dealing with workampers, they probably didn't have the authority to waive the 18 cents. An intelligent manager would have quickly dispensed of it, but don't assume all managers are intelligent. The tax money goes to the state, not the CG; if they choose not to absorb it they have that right.

We talked directly to the manager about that and the site they put us in as it was very as far back in the park as possible while sites close to the exit remained empty.. Gotta wonder...

6. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

Usually tax increase are leaved at a certain date. The transaction would have most likely would have occurred when your card was originally charged. We had a similar thing happened when we were in the lodging business and the official info was as I stated. You could have left your wife as collateral while going back to the coach. Sounds like somebody was really stupid. I have not carried any coins for years except in my truck for tolls.

7. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

Yes that happens in VA usually on July 1st when the new laws take effect. I would have thought the campground would have let it slide and paid it out themselves or just asked that you would have brought them a few cents later on. I have to say that most of the time they are not that concerned wit the pennies at the ones I have been too but there Jellystone in Glouster POint VA is a skinflint.

8. campergal

campergal
    Expand Collapse

We had a tax increase a few years ago and I had one camper absolutely REFUSE to pay my staff the extra few pennies...even though she paid in cash. She had booked the year before so her original reservation did have the old tax on it but the new one had been updated.

I let it slide but did let her know that my staff were suppose to collect all tax as that was the law and regardless of what she felt the tax still had to be paid, that it was not my increase, but the federal government and I would be paying it on her behalf. Just made me shake my head!

We also just got rid of our pennies in Canada and I thought it would be hassle...it's not! absolutely love it!

9. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(campergal @ Aug 28 2013, 10:35 AM) [snapback]34578[/snapback]

We had a tax increase a few years ago and I had one camper absolutely REFUSE to pay my staff the extra few pennies...even though she paid in cash. She had booked the year before so her original reservation did have the old tax on it but the new one had been updated.

I let it slide but did let her know that my staff were suppose to collect all tax as that was the law and regardless of what she felt the tax still had to be paid, that it was not my increase, but the federal government and I would be paying it on her behalf. Just made me shake my head!

We also just got rid of our pennies in Canada and I thought it would be hassle...it's not! absolutely love it!

We just got through spending 2 months in Canada and I loved the round it up. This morning I stopped at Mc Donalds and got breakfast.It was $4.01. All I had was a five and got back 99 cents in change I didn't want. I Canada I would have got a loonie.

10. campergal

campergal
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(nedmtnman @ Aug 29 2013, 10:11 AM) [snapback]34590[/snapback]

We just got through spending 2 months in Canada and I loved the round it up. This morning I stopped at Mc Donalds and got breakfast.It was $4.01. All I had was a five and got back 99 cents in change I didn't want. I Canada I would have got a loonie.

I love having Americans camp with us and share in the humor of the "loonie" and "toonie"...:) And now we have plastic 20's that when you hold it close to your eye, look at a light through the clear maple leaf you will see a series off "20's" throughout...quite entertaining!

11. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

QUOTE(campergal @ Sep 9 2013, 09:29 AM) [snapback]34741[/snapback]

I love having Americans camp with us and share in the humor of the "loonie" and "toonie"...:) And now we have plastic 20's that when you hold it close to your eye, look at a light through the clear maple leaf you will see a series off "20's" throughout...quite entertaining!

We just completed a month in Canada with our grandsons (9 and 10). They thought your money, particularly those plastic 20's, was pretty cool.

The only problem I have with it is remembering that my pocket full of coins might be worth ~$10 or more. I'm so used to throwing change in my pocket and forgetting about it, that I would forget that a few toonies (twonies ?) can add up to a considerable sum in short order.

12. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(docj @ Sep 9 2013, 06:32 PM) [snapback]34743[/snapback]

We just completed a month in Canada with our grandsons (9 and 10). They thought your money, particularly those plastic 20's, was pretty cool.

The only problem I have with it is remembering that my pocket full of coins might be worth ~$10 or more. I'm so used to throwing change in my pocket and forgetting about it, that I would forget that a few toonies (twonies ?) can add up to a considerable sum in short order.

Yup, we had the same problem.

13. Hutch333id

Hutch333id
    Expand Collapse

14. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

If that should ever occur here I would have told the customer about the increase just so they could know there had been an increase but would have written it off. That would be good customer service and a much better PR move. At our CG we do not charge tax at all and all tax is paid by us rather than passing any of it on to a customer.