Need Experienced Advice Please.

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by BruceD, Aug 31, 2013.

1. BruceD

BruceD
    Expand Collapse

Hi folks
    I am brand newbie here. I have done three RV lengthy vacations in my life and hope to go as a permanent lifestyle. I am therefore somewhat experienced in the RV life but not as a permanent lifestyle style.

Here's the situation;
    When I can afford it I will purchase for cash a 25-30 ft travel trailer
    I have a 2005 DURANGO with the small v8 I figure around a trailer weight if 5500-6000 lbs MAX.
    It must be a all season trailer equipped for full time year round living.
    I am single so even if I add in another person or two the TT size should be more than adequate.
    I intend to purchase for cash USED when the time comes.
    Also need best recommendations on the the best hitch and configuration.
    I am not not rolling in dough and SS will probably be major income source unless I can get PT ZJOBS nearby the main RV campground/park.

SECOND PART OF THIS POST;
    I would need recommendations as to the best and most economical LONG TERM campgrounds/RV parks in Southwest Virginia area maybe exrebding to TN or NC or SC possibly beyond that geography.

I don't mean to dump this lengthy post on everyone but all of your recommendations will certsiy be appreciated as I gear up for this monumental ligestyke change!

Thanks again for any inputs.

Bruce D

2. CurleyJo

CurleyJo
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(BruceD @ Aug 31 2013, 02:42 PM) [snapback]34605[/snapback]

Hi folks
    I am brand newbie here. I have done three RV lengthy vacations in my life and hope to go as a permanent lifestyle. I am therefore somewhat experienced in the RV life but not as a permanent lifestyle style.

Here's the situation;
    When I can afford it I will purchase for cash a 25-30 ft travel trailer
    I have a 2005 DURANGO with the small v8 I figure around a trailer weight if 5500-6000 lbs MAX.
    It must be a all season trailer equipped for full time year round living.
    I am single so even if I add in another person or two the TT size should be more than adequate.
    I intend to purchase for cash USED when the time comes.
    Also need best recommendations on the the best hitch and configuration.
    I am not not rolling in dough and SS will probably be major income source unless I can get PT ZJOBS nearby the main RV campground/park.

SECOND PART OF THIS POST;
    I would need recommendations as to the best and most economical LONG TERM campgrounds/RV parks in Southwest Virginia area maybe exrebding to TN or NC or SC possibly beyond that geography.

I don't mean to dump this lengthy post on everyone but all of your recommendations will certsiy be appreciated as I gear up for this monumental ligestyke change!

Thanks again for any inputs.

Bruce D

Bruce,

We have a 2008 25R Arctic Fox Travel Trailer. These trailers are a 4 season and we live in ours about 10 months of the year. Just a suggestion on a brand for you to consider if you haven't bought something already!

Happy travels! :D

3. MelindaK

MelindaK
    Expand Collapse

Bruce,

Good luck switching to full timer! Let me know how it goes as one day I hope to be full timing. I would recommend at least a 30ft for when the weather is bad it will give you a little more room especially if there may be more than one of you in the camper. I have had some long camping trips where for a few days it poured and was too cold outside, and I was glad I was in my 30ft camper and not in my old 25ft camper as it would have been too crowed for me.

I like the Equalizer hitch with sway bars. I would not travel without them.

4. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

5. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

I think when you make your purchase you should look for a good deal on the largest RV you feel comfortable pulling. What seems spacious empty starts to feel claustrophobic after you get your belongings in there and then get stuck inside during bad weather. It would also be a good idea to start paring down your belongings. You cannot live comfortably in an RV with tons of belongings. You don't need 2 sets of pots and pans or enough plates to feed 8. You do not need every greeting card you ever received. Start thinking about what you don't really use and start getting rid of stuff now. It will be much easier to make the transition when you are ready to move in if you don't have to start making decisions about what you need and don't need. You will be surprised at how little you actually have to have.

You could check into doing camp hosting at different campgrounds. You work a set number of hours weekly in exchange for your campsite. Occasionally you find a CG that pays you but most are only space in exchange for work. Some CG's are seasonal and some are more lengthy stays.

We did full timing for years until we got the job we have now, managing a CG. We thought it would be 6 months but illnesses, and death, (one owner) have kept us here for 5 years.

Good luck!

6. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

Get as many slides as you can. They make a great difference in your perception of size. The year around part depends on where you will be.