How To Handle Licenses And Registrations For Full Time Rv'ers.

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Ted Morgen, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Ted Morgen

Ted Morgen
    Expand Collapse

I'm sure this subject has been covered before but since the Dept. of Homeland Security has made so many changes in licensing, I wonder what is the best way to deal with having an address in order to maintain driver licenses and registrations on vehicles when you are full time and no longer own a home. We currently live in Florida and you have to go through hoops to prove who you are and where you live to get a driver's license here. I am guessing that you can't use a P.O. Box on a license any more. Anyone have any ideas? IF I do this I will be traveling and staying in
    Florida, Arizona, California, Colorado, Washington State and New Jersey. Most of the time between Arizona and Washington. Any advice from anyone in any state would be appreciated.
    Ted Morgen* formally Colorado and right now, Florida.

2. fpullanosr

fpullanosr
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Ted Morgen @ Oct 4 2013, 03:05 AM) [snapback]34966[/snapback]

I'm sure this subject has been covered before but since the Dept. of Homeland Security has made so many changes in licensing, I wonder what is the best way to deal with having an address in order to maintain driver licenses and registrations on vehicles when you are full time and no longer own a home. We currently live in Florida and you have to go through hoops to prove who you are and where you live to get a driver's license here. I am guessing that you can't use a P.O. Box on a license any more. Anyone have any ideas? IF I do this I will be traveling and staying in
    Florida, Arizona, California, Colorado, Washington State and New Jersey. Most of the time between Arizona and Washington. Any advice from anyone in any state would be appreciated.
    Ted Morgen* formally Colorado and right now, Florida.

We have been Florida residents since 2000 and started full timing in 2006, maintaining FL. as our residential state.

In the beginning we had a commercial mail drop who received and held our daily mail. Periodically I would send them an Email advising where we were staying, and any held mail would be forwarded to us via O/N mail.

Subsequently, my brother became a Fl. resident and we now use that address as our residence. If we plan to be in a location for a longer period of time, as when we are workamping, we simply advice the post office of our temporary change of address, and the mail is forwarded to where we are staying.

What kind of hoops are you made to jump thru when you have to renew your drivers license?

3. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

The requirements for the Federal "Real ID Act" that Florida participates in for driver's license ID are really not that onerous for most full time RV'ers using Florida, or any other participating state, as their domicile. Any one of five different birth proofs are called for, along with one of five different proofs of SSN. But the most difficult it seems for most that complain about the requirements before looking into them, seems to be the required two proofs of residence address. Taking a look at the twenty two choices though, it seems to me that showing a vehicle title or registration and a vehicle insurance bill or policy ought to be a simple matter for most RV'ers. That's all that's needed.

See http://www.gathergoget.com for more information.

4. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

QUOTE(Dutch_12078 @ Oct 4 2013, 08:50 AM) [snapback]34968[/snapback]

The requirements for the Federal "Real ID Act" that Florida participates in for driver's license ID are really not that onerous for most full time RV'ers using Florida, or any other participating state, as their domicile. Any one of five different birth proofs are called for, along with one of five different proofs of SSN. But the most difficult it seems for most that complain about the requirements before looking into them, seems to be the required two proofs of residence address. Taking a look at the twenty two choices though, it seems to me that showing a vehicle title or registration and a vehicle insurance bill or policy ought to be a simple matter for most RV'ers. That's all that's needed.

See http://www.gathergoget.com for more information.

I don't know how many times I have explained to people that they don't have to worry about obtaining birth certificates as long as they have a passport. A passport is the ultimate proof-of-citizenship document. Even an expired passport can be used to prove citizenship even though it can't be used to cross a border.

The internet and forums such as this often contribute to the problem because so much misinformation is shared. Thank you for providing correct and useful information in your post.

5. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(docj @ Oct 4 2013, 02:19 PM) [snapback]34969[/snapback]

I don't know how many times I have explained to people that they don't have to worry about obtaining birth certificates as long as they have a passport. A passport is the ultimate proof-of-citizenship document. Even an expired passport can be used to prove citizenship even though it can't be used to cross a border.

The internet and forums such as this often contribute to the problem because so much misinformation is shared. Thank you for providing correct and useful information in your post.

You're welcome, Joel... I don't know of anything more authoritative than the Florida DMV website that I linked to.

6. GandJ

GandJ
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the link, Dutch. That was very helpful. Like the dummy-proof check list. :)

But I didn't find an answer as to whether one is able to use a Florida mail service/PO box for the address on a FL license. Any ideas on that?

7. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(GandJ @ Oct 4 2013, 06:52 PM) [snapback]34974[/snapback]

Thanks for the link, Dutch. That was very helpful. Like the dummy-proof check list. :)

But I didn't find an answer as to whether one is able to use a Florida mail service/PO box for the address on a FL license. Any ideas on that?

Florida does require a street address on driver's licenses, even if your mail is received at a PO box. As most of the commercial mail forwarders typically used by RV'ers do supply you with a street address that includes a number that can be listed as a "suite" instead of a "box" number, I suspect that's not an issue. The best answer though, might be to give one of the mail forwarders a call about meeting driver's license address requirements, such as the popular St Brendan's Isle at 800-544-2132.

8. Denali

Denali
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Dutch_12078 @ Oct 4 2013, 06:29 PM) [snapback]34976[/snapback]

Florida does require a street address on driver's licenses, even if your mail is received at a PO box. As most of the commercial mail forwarders typically used by RV'ers do supply you with a street address that includes a number that can be listed as a "suite" instead of a "box" number, I suspect that's not an issue. The best answer though, might be to give one of the mail forwarders a call about meeting driver's license address requirements, such as the popular St Brendan's Isle at 800-544-2132.

When we started fulltiming I tried to use our Mailboxes Etc. street address as our residence address on our drivers license. Even back then, the DMV computer recognized that address as a Private Mail Box (PMB) street address and would not allow it. They do, of course, allow it as our mailing address, which is the only one that appears on the license itself.

9. GandJ

GandJ
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Dutch_12078 @ Oct 4 2013, 07:29 PM) [snapback]34976[/snapback]

As most of the commercial mail forwarders typically used by RV'ers do supply you with a street address that includes a number that can be listed as a "suite" instead of a "box" number, I suspect that's not an issue.

Ah, cool! Thanks for reminding me of that. Here's a little-bit-o-happiness from the web site of
    the mail forwarding place we use and is seems to confirm that you are (as usual) correct:

Q. Will I have a Florida street address?
    A. Yes. A physical street address is required to obtain a driver's license, vehicle registration and have packages delivered from commercial carriers such as FedEx, DHL and UPS.

Example of New Address:
    Your Name
    5715 Hwy 85 North #000
    Crestview, FL 32536

Guess we're set. :)

10. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(GandJ @ Oct 5 2013, 03:53 PM) [snapback]34982[/snapback]

Ah, cool! Thanks for reminding me of that. Here's a little-bit-o-happiness from the web site of
    the mail forwarding place we use and is seems to confirm that you are (as usual) correct:

Q. Will I have a Florida street address?
    A. Yes. A physical street address is required to obtain a driver's license, vehicle registration and have packages delivered from commercial carriers such as FedEx, DHL and UPS.

Example of New Address:
    Your Name
    5715 Hwy 85 North #000
    Crestview, FL 32536

Guess we're set. :)

Yep, it looks like you're set to me... Are you satisfied with the myRVmail service?

11. GandJ

GandJ
    Expand Collapse

Yes, very. Nice group of people at MyRvMail.

We like being able to see on line what's been received.
    And they don't seem to mind if we get our mail only once
    a month. (We do e-bills, so we don't need to worry much
    about getting paper bills before their due dates.)

12. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(GandJ @ Oct 5 2013, 08:18 PM) [snapback]34985[/snapback]

Yes, very. Nice group of people at MyRvMail.

We like being able to see on line what's been received.
    And they don't seem to mind if we get our mail only once
    a month. (We do e-bills, so we don't need to worry much
    about getting paper bills before their due dates.)

I'm glad to hear that! I haven't seen too much about them beyond what Passport America has sent me and what's on their website, so it's good to hear from an actual customer. Thanks!