Camp Ground Owners' Response To Review

Discussion in 'Park Management' started by jimbob07, Oct 31, 2013.

1. edcornflake

edcornflake
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(dalsgal @ Feb 1 2014, 09:59 AM) [snapback]35658[/snapback]

I don't think it would work to allow owners to respond but there have been a few I would like to question just as a reader. I read one yesterday made me want to ask them why they saw a certain rule as a negative. That rule is one that at least 90% of people that camp with us would love.

@dalsgal,
    What is the rule, just curious?

ed

2. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

The speed limit is 10 mph. If you break that rule you cannot have your car in the RV park and must park out at the road. Our limit is also 10 and most people follow it pretty closely but there have been a few I would love to make park elsewhere. I like a park that has rules and expects campers to follow those rules out of consideration for others.

3. edcornflake

edcornflake
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(dalsgal @ Feb 6 2014, 06:32 PM) [snapback]35704[/snapback]

The speed limit is 10 mph. If you break that rule you cannot have your car in the RV park and must park out at the road. Our limit is also 10 and most people follow it pretty closely but there have been a few I would love to make park elsewhere. I like a park that has rules and expects campers to follow those rules out of consideration for others.

Thanks. The place we have decided to park for the season has a 5mph limit throughout the park. It's annoying to have to idle through the park and still use the brakes, but the alternative of hitting someone's kid or dog is much worse. I wish it were 10 though.

4. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

We were at a CG last fall that had a posted speed limit of 7-1/2mph. I don't know how well it was enforced, but the odd number did get your attention.

5. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

Dutch, I have wanted to change ours to 9 1/2 because the 1/2 does get your attention much faster than a whole number does.

6. willranless

willranless
    Expand Collapse

I bought signs from Trumbull Recreation Supply that say 9 MPH. By being very specific, we hope they will see that 9 MPH, MEANS 9 MPH. People are so used to disregarding the speed limits on the highway and adding 10 or 15 to the "suggested" speed limit, that 10 mph to most people means 20 or 25. But it doesn't matter what you post to some.

7. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

QUOTE(edcornflake @ Feb 14 2014, 12:35 PM) [snapback]35731[/snapback]

Thanks. The place we have decided to park for the season has a 5mph limit throughout the park. It's annoying to have to idle through the park and still use the brakes, but the alternative of hitting someone's kid or dog is much worse. I wish it were 10 though.

IMHO speed limits such as that encourage abuse because they are unrealistically low. Once people start to ignore them, there is nothing to keep them from going even faster. If 10 mph is Ok, then maybe 20 is also!

8. Luvtheroad

Luvtheroad
    Expand Collapse

I have found that if someone is going to ignore the speed limit, it doesn't make a bit of difference whether the sign says 5 mph, 10 mph or 20 mph, they're still going to go 30. Why? Because the speed limit doesn't apply to THEM, THEY'RE in too big of a hurry to get where they're going to worry about a silly speed limit, and nobody's going to tell THEM how fast to drive, dammit!

Snyders Campground likes this.
  9. GandJ

GandJ
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(pianotuna @ Feb 1 2014, 11:22 PM) [snapback]35659[/snapback]

Hi,

I hate the wall of shame idea.

I completely agree. If you have someone "gaming" your web site's system or rules, please deal with it internally. Your users certainly don't need the drama and negativity.

Also, I see absolutely no value in CG owners responding to reviews. I read RVPR to get CAMPERS' insights and ideas, not those of campground owners.

I have seen this "feature" on other sites, specifically one dealing with RV repairs, and it generally goes something like this:

Reviewer: Some type of negative (but probably honest) comment.

Owner's Reply: That is completely untrue. The reviewer seemed happy when he left here (so obviously he is either a liar or a complete idiot).

10. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

I just read a review and I wanted to respond for the owner and I have never stayed at that resort. The poster was angry because people on RVPR had listed that they paid $10-$12 a night but the rate at the actual CG was much higher. He gave the park a bad review because of this. He apparently did not check the locations website but was angry that they didn't honor the price he saw quoted here. I hope everyone that reads his review realizes how ridiculous his review is. I did get a good laugh at his expense.

11. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Unfortunately we get this all the time. Usually it is the park owner who contacts us to report that the rate listed for their park is not correct. We explain that it is the rate the reviewer reported that he paid, and we have no way of knowing if it is accurate. It could reflect a discount, it may be a prorated weekly or monthly rate, it may contain the taxes; there are lots of variables, and it is something that I think we need to better clarify.

12. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

I think we ought to consider having the system show the range of prices reported. That way someone would see something like $35-45 and know the approximate price before they bother to pull up the park's website. The range could continually be updated but it would at least give the reader some guidance. IMHO showing one aggregated number is meaningless.

13. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Mar 15 2014, 03:54 PM) [snapback]35970[/snapback]

Unfortunately we get this all the time. Usually it is the park owner who contacts us to report that the rate listed for their park is not correct. We explain that it is the rate the reviewer reported that he paid, and we have no way of knowing if it is accurate. It could reflect a discount, it may be a prorated weekly or monthly rate, it may contain the taxes; there are lots of variables, and it is something that I think we need to better clarify.

I think the people reading the reviews should be savvy enough to know that they should check the website for pricing. This man gave the CG a bad review because he didn't bother to check for himself. The CG should not have been held responsible for his laziness.

14. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

QUOTE(dalsgal @ Mar 15 2014, 06:58 PM) [snapback]35976[/snapback]

I think the people reading the reviews should be savvy enough to know that they should check the website for pricing. This man gave the CG a bad review because he didn't bother to check for himself. The CG should not have been held responsible for his laziness.

I agree. I was just trying to say that there are a lot of variables for a reviewer to consider when listing the price, and I do not think we give them very much guidance. As a result we might see a rate of $40 followed by $20 if someone got the Passport America discount. If the two rates are fairly close together or if there are lot of other $40 listed, someone should be able to figure out that the regular rate is probably $40. But if there are a lot of $20 listed with no explanation that it was PPA, it could lead someone to believe it is the regular rate. In any case, the wise person always checks the park's website.

I'm pretty sure I know which review you are referring to, and I am betting the numerous low rates are monthly rates divided by 30 to get the nightly rate. This is why I think we need some standardization as to what rate is used.

15. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

If the idiot had bothered to read the reviews that had those low rates, he would have seen where the reviewer stated that rate reflects Coast to Coast or Passport America.

16. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

We always mention the Passport America when talking about the rate, membership in PPA can be flexible and campgrounds go in and out. We always check with their free phone app to be sure. When arriving at a campground, it is nowhere full, we are not above asking for a discount and usually get one. Something is better than nothing.

17. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

So far, you folks have only mentioned discounts such as PPA and Coast to Coast, but like Texas said, alot of things can affect price. When i write a review, i put down what i paid, but my price reflects a 30amp hookup, two kids, pets, no tow vehicle, and frequently i get electric only. I also get an FMCA discount (if available), but not Good Sam or KOA. I think the only way to show price is to show a range from low to high of what has been paid in the past, or maybe "average price per night".

I can see where park owners and campers can both be hurt by comparison shopping by price without thurough research.

18. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

There is almost always a link to their website which usually states their prices, With the advent of cell phones, you can call for free also. Generally speaking, the more in advance you pay, the higher the price will be (discounting increase as the date gets closer).

19. ewald628

ewald628
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(hoefler @ Nov 1 2013, 06:56 AM) [snapback]35195[/snapback]

I do the same thing as stated above. I even go one step further, I will look at the negative review's author's history of parks they have reviewed. Some times they have a slew of bad reviews, then I just ignore anything that reviewer states.

Dutch I do the same when looking at reviews its the overall and I understand you cant please everyone. I am from MiddleGrove in Saratoga county and not far from Sacandaga. Just finished posting the last 3 campgrounds we stayed at in KY.

20. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(ewald628 @ Apr 27 2014, 12:16 PM) [snapback]36353[/snapback]

Dutch I do the same when looking at reviews its the overall and I understand you cant please everyone. I am from MiddleGrove in Saratoga county and not far from Sacandaga. Just finished posting the last 3 campgrounds we stayed at in KY.

Welcome to the forum! Heh! I know right where you mean. For about ten years, we lived in a house I built up on the mountain near Lake Desolation before we renovated our summer cottage at Sacandaga for year round living. :)