Csmpground Address

Discussion in 'CGR Site Admin, News and Announcements' started by DelK, Nov 11, 2013.

1. DelK

DelK
    Expand Collapse

Has any thought been given to including addresses or driving directions for each campground? It would be helpful for those of using, for instance, DeLorme mapping and GPS as well as Yahoo or Google maps. I've found the map locatioon to be incorrect more than once and so use some additional device to verify addresses before selecting a place to stay.

2. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

Many of the listings have map directions and also a website that would have a good address on it. Have you used that part of this site? For us it really helped.

3. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

QUOTE(DelK @ Nov 11 2013, 04:42 PM) [snapback]35262[/snapback]

Has any thought been given to including addresses or driving directions for each campground? It would be helpful for those of using, for instance, DeLorme mapping and GPS as well as Yahoo or Google maps. I've found the map locatioon to be incorrect more than once and so use some additional device to verify addresses before selecting a place to stay.

That has definitely been thought of. The problem is how to update all the park listings that we currently have. Discussions are ongoing, and this could possibly be added at some time in the future.

4. Luvtheroad

Luvtheroad
    Expand Collapse

We've had GPS and MapQuest put addresses on the wrong side of the road or even the wrong side of the river more than once. Now quite often I call for detailed directions (i.e., "1/4 of a mile past the red barn on the right and just past the blue house with the red roof"). We have a large fiver and once we missed an poorly-marked turnoff and had to drive for miles before we found a place to turn around. That's not fun if it happens too often....

5. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

When planning my trip I print out a trip report with mileage then get campgrounds I want to stay at and write down the phone number and call for directions. Pretty simple.

6. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

With the Smart phone website and the miracle of GPS, this site can give you turn by turn directions from your ongoing location right to the campground. I used to ask my wife how long unyil we get there. She would say about an hour. Now she says 42.7 miles and 54 minutes on the right at the third stoplight. Marvels of technology.

7. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

The best thing we like about smart phones is that now we can really zoom in and see that even though we need to go to the left (for instance), the road requires us to turn right and loop around. That allows us to get in the correct lane well in advance of the turn. That sure beats trying to move over 3 lanes in half a block’s space.

8. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Nov 13 2013, 01:52 PM) [snapback]35276[/snapback]

The best thing we like about smart phones is that now we can really zoom in and see that even though we need to go to the left (for instance), the road requires us to turn right and loop around. That allows us to get in the correct lane well in advance of the turn. That sure beats trying to move over 3 lanes in half a block’s space.

My Garmin always provides lane and turn information at the top of the screen well in advance of any turn or exit. It even displays street-level "sketches" of exits, including lanes and signage that are displayed shortly before you begin to change lanes. The lanes you are supposed to be in are superimposed on the sketch. My Android phone's display doesn't provide any better information than that.

9. DelK

DelK
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Nov 12 2013, 02:55 PM) [snapback]35268[/snapback]

That has definitely been thought of. The problem is how to update all the park listings that we currently have. Discussions are ongoing, and this could possibly be added at some time in the future.

Thank you for the response.
    For me, the advantage of having the address listed would be great enough that it would not bother me for the address to be blank for those parks for which you have no address. The addresses will catch up--or not. :)
    Some directories have what purport to be driving directions. Some of those are well done and some not so well done.

10. Traveling man

Traveling man
    Expand Collapse

I must admit that I had researched campgrounds, and even submitted reviews for over a year before I thought about the missing address info. I was so used to navigating between websites and reviews that I always had an address. I actually looked for where to enter it the first time that I reviewed a campground without prior reviews or a website. In that case I added the road/direction from town to my review. So yes, there are cases where it might be handy to readers. I appreciate this website, so if the decision is made to add an address field, I would be glad to volunteer to take a state, and look up/add address listings to all of those existing listings.

11. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Oh wow! Let's see which state has the most parks listed!! Just kidding :lol: , and we appreciate your willingness to help. We aren't there yet, but we'll keep your offer in mind.