Suggestions For Wifi Providers

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by move'ngroove, Dec 9, 2013.

1. move'ngroove

move'ngroove
    Expand Collapse

HI Folks, I have just bought a small 21" rv and I am hoping to start using it soon. I sell on ebay and amazon and i plan on going on the road on buying trips. I will need to have reliable wifi service to list my stuff online (and probably watch some movies on netflix) that i need only pay for during the weeks i am traveling. Does anyone have opinions on the most powerful wifi and the best prices? Thanks

2. TranQuilguy

TranQuilguy
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(move'ngroove @ Dec 9 2013, 10:10 PM) [snapback]35399[/snapback]

HI Folks, I have just bought a small 21" rv and I am hoping to start using it soon. I sell on ebay and amazon and i plan on going on the road on buying trips. I will need to have reliable wifi service to list my stuff online (and probably watch some movies on netflix) that i need only pay for during the weeks i am traveling. Does anyone have opinions on the most powerful wifi and the best prices? Thanks

I had a couple staying here for a time waiting to get a new home.They had a MYFI from Verizon,it ran TV 2 phones and two lap tops.But the tower was within eye site,as the bird flies about 7 miles.
    I think the quality of wifi depends on how far and the power of the signal your looking for.We have limited dsl but some parks have a good system you can work off of.
    Best bet is to come here before you move on and check out the parks in the area you are moving on to and call the park to see what they or the cell phone can handle.
    Be sure to inform the park you check into what your needs are,will save a lot of head ache in the long run,remember it is your business and responsibility,not the RV P ark you are RVing at.

Happy Trails

TranQuil Tom :D

3. Denali

Denali
    Expand Collapse

For all practical purposes, Internet access on the road is limited to cellular connections and RV park Wi-Fi services.

RV park Wi-Fi is likely to be adequate for most Internet activity, although it will often be very slow. It is very unlikely to be adequate for watching movies on Netflix.

High speed cellular data service is not universally available. Take a look at the coverage map for Verizon, by far the most widely available high speed data network: Verizon Coverage Map. Make sure you select "4G LTE Data Coverage" on that map.

You can get Verizon data service without signing a two-year contract by buying a data device such as a MiFi like this, or similar: Sample MiFi You buy data by the month. That would cost you $50/month for 4 GB of data. If you are in a good 4G area, it will provide speeds of 6-20 Mbps, in my experience. That's fast enough for streaming videos.

If you have a Verizon smartphone, you can use it as a Wi-Fi hotspot as well. Check your account on the Verizon web site to see what that would cost. You may need to change your data plan to use your phone as a hotspot with Verizon. If you have the old unlimited data plan, you can use an inexpensive app (PdaNet+) on many Verizon phones to provide Internet access to your computer. If you want to explore that, the members of the InternetBySmartphone group on Yahoo will be happy to help (I'm the moderator there).

Of course, you can always rely on the free Wi-Fi at places like Starbucks and MacDonalds.

Good luck.

4. move'ngroove

move'ngroove
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(TranQuilguy @ Dec 10 2013, 10:04 AM) [snapback]35401[/snapback]

I had a couple staying here for a time waiting to get a new home.They had a MYFI from Verizon,it ran TV 2 phones and two lap tops.But the tower was within eye site,as the bird flies about 7 miles.
    I think the quality of wifi depends on how far and the power of the signal your looking for.We have limited dsl but some parks have a good system you can work off of.
    Best bet is to come here before you move on and check out the parks in the area you are moving on to and call the park to see what they or the cell phone can handle.
    Be sure to inform the park you check into what your needs are,will save a lot of head ache in the long run,remember it is your business and responsibility,not the RV P ark you are RVing at.

Happy Trails

TranQuil Tom :D

Hi Tom, thanks so much for your info.. I contacted Verizon and they have a mobile Hotspot device that i can buy for $220 and then use on a prorated basis of $50-$80/mo (depending on GB). That seems like the best option. Julia

5. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

Then there is the cheap way to get connected and that would be go to the local library or McDonalds and use their free Wi-Fi system. For a buck one can rent the movies using a Redbox. These facilities usually exist even in smaller towns. As evidenced by the many review comments posted here at RVPR, campground Wi-Fi can be unreliable or non-existant. Wi-Fi extender devices are something you might want to look into. Cell 3 or 4G service would be my primary choice if I absolutely needed to be connected.

6. Traveling man

Traveling man
    Expand Collapse

I use Sprint Internet, and have found it very reliable, even in less populated areas. In about half of the parks advertising WIFI it is slow or poor quality, and I switch to my own internet. They offer a hotspot (2GB) for $19.95, when I need to use the larger screen on the computer. What I like is that it works in some very remote places. No special devices are needed, just your cell phone and computer.

7. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

We have the Verizon moblie hot spots on our phones and are pleased with the service. We have only run across one place where they did not get a signal. Funny thing was we had stayed at the same RV park in the same site a week earlier and they worked fine. Never did figure out what the problem was the second time.