Tow Max Tires

Discussion in 'Towing, Vehicles, Maintenance and Repairs' started by jmcf46, Apr 12, 2014.

1. jmcf46

jmcf46
    Expand Collapse

Heard a lot of negatives about tow max tires. I've no problems yet but after hearing all the negatives I just might spring for new Maxis tires. Any thoughts out there on this?

2. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(jmcf46 @ Apr 12 2014, 11:52 AM) [snapback]36129[/snapback]

Heard a lot of negatives about tow max tires. I've no problems yet but after hearing all the negatives I just might spring for new Maxis tires. Any thoughts out there on this?

I have run TowMax and no real problems. I figure all trailer tires come from China and areb probably of the same quality.

3. desertcamper05

desertcamper05
    Expand Collapse

Many trailer tires are probably produced in the same factory in China is a safe bet, but they are not all of the same quality. For example, if you were to buy an off brand trailer tire by Westlake, Tow Master, or haul master, they have the exact tread pattern as a more expensive Goodyear Marathon. But, Goodyear has stricter guidlines used in the production of their tires and use a better rubber compound so it is probably a better tire. Now that being said, for the last seversal years I felt like the blow out king. I bought a set of Maxxis tires that are load range E instead of the "D" that my rig requires and have not looked back. So far, they seem to be the best. My set was produced in Tiwan and do have a completely different tread pattern. Hope this helps.

4. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(desertcamper05 @ Apr 17 2014, 10:16 PM) [snapback]36174[/snapback]

Many trailer tires are probably produced in the same factory in China is a safe bet, but they are not all of the same quality. For example, if you were to buy an off brand trailer tire by Westlake, Tow Master, or haul master, they have the exact tread pattern as a more expensive Goodyear Marathon. But, Goodyear has stricter guidlines used in the production of their tires and use a better rubber compound so it is probably a better tire. Now that being said, for the last seversal years I felt like the blow out king. I bought a set of Maxxis tires that are load range E instead of the "D" that my rig requires and have not looked back. So far, they seem to be the best. My set was produced in Tiwan and do have a completely different tread pattern. Hope this helps.

I had a ton of problems with the Goodyear Marathons 9 and they were being built here in the USA then and being they are real proud of their tires I went to China tires ( cheaper and can go up a load range ) a load range( from E to G 8 ply to 10 ply ) above what was on the 5er and not many problems since. I think the thing to do is go to a better load range and I watch tire pressures like a hawk. I was in the tire bidness and can spot a low tire by nature. I don't drive over 62 mph ( best fuel mileage ).

5. jan-n-john

jan-n-john
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(nedmtnman @ Apr 18 2014, 10:29 AM) [snapback]36180[/snapback]

I had a ton of problems with the Goodyear Marathons 9 and they were being built here in the USA then and being they are real proud of their tires I went to China tires ( cheaper and can go up a load range ) a load range( from E to G 8 ply to 10 ply ) above what was on the 5er and not many problems since. I think the thing to do is go to a better load range and I watch tire pressures like a hawk. I was in the tire bidness and can spot a low tire by nature. I don't drive over 62 mph ( best fuel mileage ).

About 4-5 years ago I sprang for Michelin LTs. Not cheap but no problems and no worries. I keep them filled with nitrogen. Worth the price. The cost of a blowout on the road is very high. In this sphere, IMO an ounce of prevention is way better than a pound of cure. YMMV

6. Fred1609

Fred1609
    Expand Collapse

We bought a TPMS system from TST and had our first trip with it. It worked as advertised. Amazing to see the PSI climb 3 or 4 PSI as the tires heat up. Although the temp didn't climb as much as I expected. Really glad I bought a monitor for the tires. That and watching the age of the tires are the most important things with respect to your tires.

7. TH travelers

TH travelers
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(jmcf46 @ Apr 12 2014, 12:52 PM) [snapback]36129[/snapback]

Next time you're walking around an RV lot, take a look at what brand tires are on the towables. I will bet the vast majority are TowMax. That is why you hear about problems with TowMax...because so many are out there. Just like there are many complaints about Lippert frames. The majority of towables are using Lippert frames.

I will replace the 6 TowMax tires on my TH when they wear out or when they blowout, whichever comes first.

8. Fred1609

Fred1609
    Expand Collapse

I think the reason you see so many tow max tires on new trailers is that they are Cheap tires. We have 4 year old Tow max tires on our rig and are changing them out for Maxxis tires. In the meantime if you keep your china bombs, watch the pressure, your speed and inspect your tires daily.

9. FastEagle

FastEagle
    Expand Collapse

We have been using TowMax for about 10 years. On our 3rd set without failure problems. However, we do change them every 3-4 years depending on their age when coming out of any storage time.

FastEagle