Adios

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by nedmtnman, Apr 20, 2014.

1. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

I know I have never been real active on this forum but it has helped me so much over the years. There is nothing better than people sharing their experience on a topic.
    You guys have kept out of a lot of trouble. I am now 73 years old and for the last 11 years my home has had wheels in my 2003 343L E. It has been a great and I mean great RV. We have pulled it over 55,000 miles in the last 11 years so that will take a toll. Last year I was diagnosed with prostate cancer and we are doing ok with that as I have a good oncologist. I have some other medical things going on with legs and walking and in our travels hiking was a major joy. Mj, my wife has knee problems and we are at the point of we have been in 47 of the lower 48 states and seen and done it full timing. We have wintered in Rockport Texas the last 5 or 6 years and made some really great friends that are fellow Winter Texans and that is what we will really miss. RV folks are the best!

So with that said we are in the process of buying a sticks and bricks house and hoping we have found where we want to be when we grow up. I will keep checking the forum and if there is something I can contribute to that will help someone.

343L Everest and 2003 Ford F350 6.0 diesel

2. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

I'm sorry to hear that you feel you must give up the RV'ing but am glad to hear you will continue to be with us here to give advice to anyone that could benefit from your experience. I will pray for your health and look forward to seeing your input here.

3. GandJ

GandJ
    Expand Collapse

I, too, am sorry to hear that health issues are taking you and MJ off the road. Best of luck to you both on that front, Friends.

That said, I am so glad you have decided not to leave the forums. Many here can benefit from your experience and knowledge.

4. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Best wishes to you.

5. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

What we want to be when we grow up. That's funny.

Sorry to hear you have to hang up the spurs. From one who lives here, we're glad to have had you in the Republic of Texas. Hope you got your fill of BBQ and Tex-Mex. :)

I'd be interested in knowing which was the only state you didn't get to be in?

6. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(RLM @ Apr 20 2014, 05:29 PM) [snapback]36209[/snapback]

What we want to be when we grow up. That's funny.

Sorry to hear you have to hang up the spurs. From one who lives here, we're glad to have had you in the Republic of Texas. Hope you got your fill of BBQ and Tex-Mex. :)

I'd be interested in knowing which was the only state you didn't get to be in?

Before we found out about Teddy Roosevelt State Park in ND we asked what there was up there to see. We usually got a long pause with followed by "well, there's Fargo." We were close to ND and Teddy Roosevelt. Always thought when we got back up that way we would go.

7. Andy R

Andy R
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Sorry to hear about the diagnosis. I wish you strength and a speedy recovery followed by many more years of high quality life!

Is your username a reference to Nederland, Co? If so, I have a small piece of property south in Gilpin County near Golden Gate State Park. It's beautiful up there!

8. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Andy R @ Apr 21 2014, 08:23 AM) [snapback]36215[/snapback]

Sorry to hear about the diagnosis. I wish you strength and a speedy recovery followed by many more years of high quality life!

Is your username a reference to Nederland, Co? If so, I have a small piece of property south in Gilpin County near Golden Gate State Park. It's beautiful up there!

Yup, I lived in Gilpin County off S. Beaver Creek Rd. for 13 years. Loved it there. That is where we were when we started full timing. Golden Gate is a great place to camp.

9. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

Good luck with all the medical issues. FWIW, I'm 52 and had my prostate removed 3 years ago due to cancer.

10. haole hiker

haole hiker
    Expand Collapse

Just saw this now so sorry for the very late Post.

I was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer 5 years ago. My Brother had it before me and my Dad before that.

My Brother and I have both had the (non surgical)Proton Treatment at Loma Linda University in California. I am Cancer free after 5 years and have absolutely no side affects. My Brother's Cancer had escaped the sack and has come back after 10 years, but still he's had 10 good years and surgery wouldn't have gotten the Cancer cells that escaped anyway. (he's 85)

May I suggest Bob Marckini's Book "You Can Beat Prostate Cancer And You Don't Need Surgery To Do It"?

For anyone who reads this, get a PSA done EVERY year and if it goes up 3/4 of a point in a year read this book and talk to Loma Linda!

There are other Proton Centers in the country but Loma Linda was the Pioneer.

Most Urologists want to do surgery of nothing. Most say a rise of 3/4 point is insignificant. Loma Linda University disagrees.

11. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(haole hiker @ Jul 24 2014, 11:34 AM) [snapback]37454[/snapback]

Just saw this now so sorry for the very late Post.

I was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer 5 years ago. My Brother had it before me and my Dad before that.

My Brother and I have both had the (non surgical)Proton Treatment at Loma Linda University in California. I am Cancer free after 5 years and have absolutely no side affects. My Brother's Cancer had escaped the sack and has come back after 10 years, but still he's had 10 good years and surgery wouldn't have gotten the Cancer cells that escaped anyway. (he's 85)

May I suggest Bob Marckini's Book "You Can Beat Prostate Cancer And You Don't Need Surgery To Do It"?

For anyone who reads this, get a PSA done EVERY year and if it goes up 3/4 of a point in a year read this book and talk to Loma Linda!

There are other Proton Centers in the country but Loma Linda was the Pioneer.

Most Urologists want to do surgery of nothing. Most say a rise of 3/4 point is insignificant. Loma Linda University disagrees.

Proton was my first choice as I have 2 friends cancer free using that but my cancer was so fast growing and aggressive I couldn't go that route. It is available only if the cancer is caught early. Mine blossomed up in a year. Yup, and if they suggest a sonogram DO A BIOPSY. I had 3 sonograms and all came back enlarged BPH prostate. The urologist that finally diagnosed me said the ONLY purpose of a sonogram is to find out where to stick the needle for the biopsy. I agree with that. If I had been biopsied on an earlier sonogram I would be ahead of the cancer now I think but it is what it is. I am doing Lupron shots and chemo now and the PSA is coming down from 40 to 16.

12. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

I too had prostate cancer about 4 years ago and went with the seeding. The process was no fun as you can imagine, but I was feeling OK in a couple of days. The material has a half life of about 60 day and the seeds (36 in my case) will always be there. For the first several weeks, I could pop a bag of microwave popcorn just by holding it in my lap. Never had any ill effects and highly recommend it. There is life after it and you need to get that last state. We now have all of the lower 48. We love Teddy Roosevelt park ourselves with South being the best. Good Luck to you.