Campground Restrooms

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by AU Fishing, May 17, 2014.

1. AU Fishing

AU Fishing
    Expand Collapse

OK here goes;
    Most park reviews deal with unkept restrooms, here is a thought, treat the restrooms like it was your bathroom at home, in other words clean up after yourself and think about the next user. Not flushing toefs and not wiping down the lavatory is more on the user than the staff cleaning them.

2. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

When I go to clean the restrooms at our CG I often wonder if people leave theirs at home looking like they do ours. I don't mind mess from regular use but when you find toothpaste splattered all over the wall and mirror, grape soda spilled on the bench and floor and household garbage that someone was too lazy to take to the dumpster it makes me wonder.

3. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

I always try to leave the facilities better than when I came. I wish all campers would do the same.

4. WVA3185

WVA3185
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(pianotuna @ May 17 2014, 02:12 PM) [snapback]36647[/snapback]

Hi,

I always try to leave the facilities better than when I came. I wish all campers would do the same.

Unfortunately many have the attitude that the staff are getting paid to clean up after them.

5. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

Having been the person that cleaned the restrooms I have found that if I cleaned it good most people would keep it clean. Once it got messed up then the problem compounded itself. When on duty I would check it now and then to keep it clean. Of course now and then it would be a disaster. My biggest complaint was kids dropping rocks in the commode. That made it necessary to remove the toilet to remove the rock.

6. BoomerNY

BoomerNY
    Expand Collapse

You can have an unclean restroom as a result of people not treating them properly, and you can have unclean restrooms due to neglect from the staff.

I don't expect the campground staff to check the restrooms every time someone uses it, and not even every hour. A couple times during the day, and responding the camper concerns or complaints promptly is key. But when there's mildew in the showers or in the caulking on the counters, or there's dust clumps in the corners, cobwebs on the lights... these are obvious signs of neglect by the staff.

While I agree that campers have the biggest input on the cleanliness of a facility, it doesn't account for lack of attention by the staff itself. I wouldn't bang on a CG if someone had plugged up one of the toilets with their morning foulness, but I would if it took them an hour to fix said stank.

7. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

QUOTE(BoomerNY @ May 18 2014, 10:28 AM) [snapback]36652[/snapback]

You can have an unclean restroom as a result of people not treating them properly, and you can have unclean restrooms due to neglect from the staff.

I totally agree with what you have said, but. . .

I don't expect the campground staff to check the restrooms every time someone uses it, and not even every hour. A couple times during the day, and responding the camper concerns or complaints promptly is key.

I wouldn't bang on a CG if someone had plugged up one of the toilets with their morning foulness, but I would if it took them an hour to fix said stank.

. . . the key here is whether or not the problem is reported; otherwise how will the staff be able to respond in a timely manner. Unfortunately many times a problem goes unreported because the camper doesn't want to take the time make the report, or the restrooms/showers are a long ways from the office, or they made the mess (even if unintentional), etc. And I hate to admit that I have been guilty of not reporting something. So it is possible that a mess is around for a few hours before the staff even knows about it, and by now many campers have seen it and think the facility is not cared for. On the other hand I once reported a stopped up floor drain in an individual shower. Two days later it was still stopped up. Even if they had not been able to take care of it by then, they should have at least put a sign up to show they were aware of it and working on it.

8. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

It comes down to where the campground wants to get it's money from, campgrounds that maintain their facilities will attract campers that look for that. Campers that look for that will generally respect the facilities they camp at.

Mike

9. acenorm

acenorm
    Expand Collapse

One thing I noticed is if the bathroom is checked regularly, than usually the bathroom stays clean by the users. Also because it is checked regularly, people who like to mess them up seem not to because they don't want to get caught doing it.

Best Regards,
    Norm

10. BoomerNY

BoomerNY
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ May 18 2014, 12:48 PM) [snapback]36653[/snapback]

I totally agree with what you have said, but. . .
    . . . the key here is whether or not the problem is reported; otherwise how will the staff be able to respond in a timely manner.

Agreed. What I meant was if it took an hour to clean once staff was aware. . .

Staff can't fix what they don't know is broken.

(man that's some bad English there!)

11. Tallboy

Tallboy
    Expand Collapse

When I went "camping" back in the day it was in a tent. When the wife and I decided to go full-time RVing, we decided to get a RV that the bathroom was big enough to use the shower and toilet, so we didn't have to use the campground's bathhouse.

Most places I have workamped at the bathhouse hasn't been to bad. Clean it once and do spot checks. But at two campgrounds had to follow right behind some people and do it all over again. Both campgrounds had to clean the bathhouses several times a day. One campground had to shut the bathhouse down and lock the door. Because if I didn't lock the door. Even with the "restroom closed" sign up the cart in front of the door, people would ignore it and come in. I was always amazed on how many men AND women don't know how to flush a toilet.

12. Happy Camper X2

Happy Camper X2
    Expand Collapse

In the pop up days clean bathrooms were a must, now full hook ups are a must. My guess is some of these home bathrooms are a mess as well.

13. edthecat

edthecat
    Expand Collapse

My wife and I do a fair bit of work related travel here in the Maritimes and when we drive by a campground we might be interested in, we ask to take a look around, and my wife will have a look at the bathroom facilities. If they are clean,and especially in a good state of repair, it is a big plus. We have and use the bathroom in the camper but around here anyway, if the bathroom is well maintained, generally the rest of the campground is too. I mean stuff like the stalls aren't beat up, sinks and taps aren't wore out, neglect, etc.

14. Happy Camper X2

Happy Camper X2
    Expand Collapse

I agree, if the bathrooms are nice and clean then chances are the rest of the place is good. We stop a lot to take a ride through to check places out. My oldest and his wife tent so bathrooms are important to them.