1 Week In Maine

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by john&sally, Jun 13, 2014.

1. john&sally

john&sally
    Expand Collapse

We are from Darwin Australia and have hired a camper from Maine Campers for 8 nights,starting at Portsmouth
    we love the beach, fishing and uncomplicated campsites. open fires at night and friendly folk.
    we need some assistance with where to go, and good campsites to stay at preferably on the water we were thinking of the following schedule
    Sept 27 Portland
    28 Boothbay harbour
    29 Blue Hill
    30Bar harbour
    Oct 1 &2&3 Arcadia park
    4 Old Orchard Beach
    We would appreciate any comments travelling at this time of year, we are in our 5o,s and have never been to the east part of the states before.
    We live in the tropics and struggle with really cold weather but love the outdoors.
    Very pleased to reciprocate with any one looking to come to Darwin anytime
    Regards
    John sally
    Darwin
    Australia

2. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

Do not miss the Trenton bridge Lobster Pound on the way to Mount Desert Island, One of the best meals of my life, Get The Acadia self drive DVD tour.

3. john&sally

john&sally
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Jun 14 2014, 08:51 AM) [snapback]36943[/snapback]

Do not miss the Trenton bridge Lobster Pound on the way to Mount Desert Island, One of the best meals of my life, Get The Acadia self drive DVD tour.

Thanks Lindsay
    Will sure do that, we have big mud crabs up here, delicious, the lobsters or as we call them come from the cool waters down south both are about $35/kg fresh
    Regards
    John and sally

4. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Does it all have to be in Maine?

Salisbury beach State Reservation is on the MA/NH boarder and about 40 min from southern ME attractions. One of the few campgrounds in the north east that is actually on a beach. Sept is one of the best times for visiting campground, most kids are back in school so you should have no problem finding a nice site.

Campground is a corner lot campground which borders the ocean and Merrimack River, with access to beaches to both. campground offers fishing, kayaking, camp store. no full hooks up but there is a honey wagon service offered.

Mike

5. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

You can buy live lobster from a co-op or directly at the docks pretty cheaply and cook them yourself. We bought a lobster pot at a thrift store and cooked them ourselves. Get one with a lid and be sure to put them in head first. We paid about $7/lb, but the price varies a lot year to year. Good Luck.

6. Tom

Tom
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(john&sally @ Jun 13 2014, 06:33 PM) [snapback]36941[/snapback]
    We would appreciate any comments travelling at this time of year, we are in our 5o,s and have never been to the east part of the states before.
    We live in the tropics and struggle with really cold weather but love the outdoors....

Maine can get rather chilly quickly in October. Just bring warm sweaters and jackets just in case.

Acadia is really neat. You can drive to most of the main scenic areas. If possible, you might want to go to the top of Cadillac Mountain early one morning to see the sunrise - that is the first spot on the mainland USA to see the sunrise.

The park is also open at night... going to Thunder Hole at night is a great thing to do.

The Carriage Roads are smooth and great for bicycling. They are gravel, not pavement, - so bikes with larger tires (like mountain bikes) are better.

Careful about distances when hiking... the trail maps are a little difficult to estimate distances with, because most trails are up and down mountains, so they are longer than you might think.

Have fun!

7. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

In regards to the weather in late September and early October: According to my weather almanac, the temperatures for Portland, ME average a high of 70F in September and 60F in October, The average lows are 50F and 40F respectively. So, the temperatures during your stay should be mostly between 10C and 20C. The weather variable that is the least predictable and can be the biggest negative is coastal fog. Coastal Maine is beautiful as long as you can see it.

8. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Jun 15 2014, 06:14 PM) [snapback]36959[/snapback]

You can buy live lobster from a co-op or directly at the docks pretty cheaply and cook them yourself. We bought a lobster pot at a thrift store and cooked them ourselves. Get one with a lid and be sure to put them in head first. We paid about $7/lb, but the price varies a lot year to year. Good Luck.

We paid ~$7.50/lb for lobster in Boothbay Maine last week and ~$6.50/lb (CDN) in Saint Andrews today. According to newspaper articles this year' price to lobstermen is running ~$4.50/lb (CDN) in Nova Scotia.

9. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

[​IMG]

Thought I would post this pic, was at Hid'n Pines Family Campground in OOB in ME a couple of yrs ago!

Mike

10. Happy Camper X2

Happy Camper X2
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Mike...

Looks like a plan, as others have said it will be cool if not cold.

11. edthecat

edthecat
    Expand Collapse

The Powderhorn campground in Old Orchard Beach was immaculate when we were there two years ago.

12. rkw99

rkw99
    Expand Collapse

We went to Bar Harbor/Acadia the first year we had our RV. It was fall and not crowded at all. We did not stay on the water but I remember there being a KOA right by Acadia with water access that we drove by on our way in. We took a drive to Moosehead Lake as I was in search of a moose sighting. Moosehead was neat, we had lunch at a restaurant on the water and watched the seaplanes land and take off as that is a common mode of transport there. I did get to see my moose also but it took a little searching.