Parks Before Joining

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Lois-sez, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Lois-sez

Lois-sez
    Expand Collapse

There are a few places we visited before joining here that people haven't reviewed. Presume a partial review would still be welcome. We didn't know this site and what might be needed.

I'm also uncertain about how to list our little 13' fiberglass camper. Travel trailer includes much bigger campers. Prior to now, we used a pop-up. Presume that should be mentioned in a review.

What else should a newbie know when posting here? I've read some reviews and discussions, but still am not sure about posting reviews and discussions.

2. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Hello and welcome to the website.

You may submit a review for any park you have stayed at as long the date you stayed there is not older than six months from the current date. You did not have to be a member of this website when you stayed there in order to submit a review.

From your brief statement about your camper, it is a bit difficult to determine how to list it. If it is pulled by another vehicle, I would list it as a travel trailer regardless of the size. If it is built on the back of a truck, it would probably be a truck camper. I am assuming it is not in the motorhome or fifth wheel categories.

As for what else you should know, just have fun, but feel free to ask questions when you need to and we will be glad to help you.

3. Denali

Denali
    Expand Collapse

Each time you post a review you will be presented with the rules (what to post, what not to post, and how to write your review, etc.).

They really tell you all you need to know!

4. Lois-sez

Lois-sez
    Expand Collapse

Thank you both for the information and welcome. The places not listed were last year so they'll be too old unfortunately.

Yes, we trailer and are just switching from a pop-up to a vintage fiberglass camper we picked up last year. (I'm a professional storyteller and boy are there some stories already involving this little 13' of camper.!)

I was looking for a general purpose RV site and this was recommended by a friend. There are specialized review and camping sites, but this seems to combine both. It just seems a shame to know about some places and not mention them. Don't expect to visit them this year as I've other plans.

5. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

We appreciate your interest in sharing your experiences and knowledge by providing reviews of parks you have previously stayed in. However, we have found that the character of RV parks is very "fluid" because it depends greatly on the staff, many of whom are transient. Older reviews often tend to be less representative of current conditions since even the maintenance of a park is heavily dependent on who is managing it.

Therefore, we have established 6 months as the cut-off for submission of reviews and we cannot change that rule to accommodate the wishes of a single member. Thank you for becoming a member of RVPR and we look forward to receiving your reviews.

6. WVA3185

WVA3185
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(docj @ Jul 4 2014, 04:32 AM) [snapback]37155[/snapback]

We appreciate your interest in sharing your experiences and knowledge by providing reviews of parks you have previously stayed in. However, we have found that the character of RV parks is very "fluid" because it depends greatly on the staff, many of whom are transient. Older reviews often tend to be less representative of current conditions since even the maintenance of a park is heavily dependent on who is managing it.

Therefore, we have established 6 months as the cut-off for submission of reviews and we cannot change that rule to accommodate the wishes of a single member. Thank you for becoming a member of RVPR and we look forward to receiving your reviews.

You are quite correct in that the conditions of a lot of campgrounds are "fluid". That is why I ignore reviews that are more than one year old. Since you have a six month cut-off I have to ask why you don't remove reviews that are several years old? I can understand if you would have to manually remove them. Just curious. Thanks.

7. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

On the flip side if a campground (in which I know a bunch) has a bad reputation and by removing all the 6 month and older reviews how is some one going to know whats really going on.

Also it is important to know the history of the reviewer. By removing ANY part of the history it would make it harder for people to judge the experience of that reviewer.

Mike

8. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

QUOTE(rbrumfield @ Jul 4 2014, 08:44 AM) [snapback]37158[/snapback]

You are quite correct in that the conditions of a lot of campgrounds are "fluid". That is why I ignore reviews that are more than one year old. Since you have a six month cut-off I have to ask why you don't remove reviews that are several years old? I can understand if you would have to manually remove them. Just curious. Thanks.

As you may be aware, this website is currently in the process of working on a major update and modernization. One thing that has been discussed is calculating a numerical score for a park made up an average of individual scores possibly weighted so that newer reviews will have more impact on the average than will older ones. This would have the effect of discounting older reviews and will permit a park to more readily show improvement without actually removing any old reviews.