Parks With Lots Of Pop Ups

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Happy Camper X2, Jul 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

Dalsgal:

Just accept the fact that some old people just don't like kids and leave it at that. My wife and I are finishing up two weeks in Halifax NS across the busy Canada Day/4th of July period at a park full of families with kids and we've enjoyed it immensely. Our site is even next to the playground and it's not been a problem. The most obnoxious people were those seniors on RV caravans whose tour buses would roar out of the park before 9am when most normal people were still having a second cup of coffee. :lol:

I'm sure we'd like your park; we don't mind rules as long as everyone obeys them.

Joel (AKA docj)

2. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

docj, you are someone I would love to have stay with us. We are an old park, not one for snobs, and have new owners that care about making the place better. The former owners didn't allow us to do anything other than maintain and not even much of that. I like people that like people and you seem to be one of those folks!

3. kcmoedoe

kcmoedoe
    Expand Collapse

With all due respect, if someone doesn't like a certain facility that doesn't make them "Snobs". If they don't like a park with a lot of children, that doesn't make them evil and hateful. I have a very large motorhome. If I go to a park that only has 30 amp services, pads that I cannot get level on and roads that are really too narrow for my rig, I won't like it, and I won't be returning. That is not being snobbish, that is merely choosing parks that fit my rig.
    As for children, I choose parks that do not cater to families. Activities that I enjoy are adult activities. I have no need for playgrounds, water parks and game rooms. I like it to be reasonably quiet where I stay, so I avoid parks that cater to children, that cater to motorcyclists, that cater to the 4 wheeler crowd, that cater to big parties.
    If that makes me hateful or snobbish, so be it. But I believe there is a place parks that cater to certain demographics, just like all business categories. I occasionally like a pizza, but Chuck E Cheese is not my go to place, so I go elsewhere. That is not being a snob, that is being selective. A wise business position to take is "If you try to please everyone, you will end up pleasing no one. "

4. tiffinman

tiffinman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(kcmoedoe @ Jul 11 2014, 11:25 AM) [snapback]37227[/snapback]

With all due respect, if someone doesn't like a certain facility that doesn't make them "Snobs". If they don't like a park with a lot of children, that doesn't make them evil and hateful. I have a very large motorhome. If I go to a park that only has 30 amp services, pads that I cannot get level on and roads that are really too narrow for my rig, I won't like it, and I won't be returning. That is not being snobbish, that is merely choosing parks that fit my rig.
    As for children, I choose parks that do not cater to families. Activities that I enjoy are adult activities. I have no need for playgrounds, water parks and game rooms. I like it to be reasonably quiet where I stay, so I avoid parks that cater to children, that cater to motorcyclists, that cater to the 4 wheeler crowd, that cater to big parties.
    If that makes me hateful or snobbish, so be it. But I believe there is a place parks that cater to certain demographics, just like all business categories. I occasionally like a pizza, but Chuck E Cheese is not my go to place, so I go elsewhere. That is not being a snob, that is being selective. A wise business position to take is "If you try to please everyone, you will end up pleasing no one. "

+1

5. Happy Camper X2

Happy Camper X2
    Expand Collapse

Wow am I sorry that I asked this question. I have been camping for 24 years and have camped in different campers over the years in the same campground and just asked about the number of pop ups. I am embarrassed that it went this way.

6. rkw99

rkw99
    Expand Collapse

I'd just like to add that the type or RV you have doesn't necessarily translate to wealth of the owners. We have had our 1995 29 ft travel trailer for over 12 years (bought it used outright for cash). We don't have any slides and our travelling family has evolved from DH and I and our dog to DH, our two girls, and this year our new puppy. We often marvel at the beautiful huge motorhomes pulling in next to our humble digs and are sometimes tempted to join in and buy one. But we quickly come back to reality and the fact that we use it 2-3 weeks a year and like to take other types of vacations as well. It has served our purposes well. Not to imply that we are particularly wealthy (some might say we are) but we certainly could afford to upgrade. We just choose not to.

I'm sure that the newer popups are nicer than our slideless old school rig ;)

7. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(GaryWT @ Jul 6 2014, 04:48 PM) [snapback]37175[/snapback]

Went to a park this weekend and saw more pop ups than I have seen at once in a couple years. Along with pop ups came kids. There were kids running all over having a great time. Maybe it is where I have been going but I don't see it much and it was good to see. What does everyone else see when camping. Do you still see pop ups or everything but...

I haven't seen any increase/change in types of rigs. One thing surprised me last year on a trip we took to Calif, we stopped in at Lake Powell. About 70% of the rigs were smaller class C rental motorhomes. Nothing wrong with that, I was just amazed that the rentals outnumbered other rigs.

8. BoomerNY

BoomerNY
    Expand Collapse

I notice more pop-ups and hybrids at smaller parks and out of the way/middle of nowhere parks. State parks as well. At the bigger destination type CGs, lots of amenities type parks, I see fewer. I do think pop-ups are appearing more frequently because (I think) camping/rv'ing is becoming more popular. Pop-ups are like an entry-level camper, where maybe someone wants to give it a try but doesn't want to spend 30k on a camper. Get a pop-up, give it a go for a year or two, and upgrade later if it's an activity you enjoy.

From my experience, a person's perceived "class" has little to do with them using a pop-up. Last trip, our neighbors had a Jayco pop-up, towed it with a BMW X5...

9. BoomerNY

BoomerNY
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(GaryWT @ Jul 16 2014, 06:38 PM) [snapback]37307[/snapback]

Wow am I sorry that I asked this question. I have been camping for 24 years and have camped in different campers over the years in the same campground and just asked about the number of pop ups. I am embarrassed that it went this way.

You just never know when silliness will ensue, especially on an Internet forum.

10. tiffinman

tiffinman
    Expand Collapse

Another thing I find amusing is when I see a pop-up in a 50amp pull thru site. It takes up only about 1/2 of the site .... including the pull vehicle. I often wonder if it's the request of the pop-up owner or the blunder of the site management team . Regardless .... if that's what makes them happy campers ...good for them. IMHO it seems like a waste of money and a large 50A site.

11. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

tiff, some campgrounds do not charge different prices for 30 or 50 amp sites. All our sites are 20,30 and 50 and we are getting ready to add some 100 amp sites. Right now we don't charge extra and, if someone is only going to be here 1 night they can use a pull thru site at the same price. If a big motor home with tow car is going to be here longer than 1 night (and unhook) they get a back in spot so that we can save the pull thrus for those that do not plan to unhook. We have people coming in in conversion vans that cannot manage to back into a spot and they think they MUST have a pull thru. Frankly, those folks shouldn't be driving at all in my opinion.

12. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

QUOTE(dalsgal @ Jul 23 2014, 03:32 PM) [snapback]37433[/snapback]

We have people coming in in conversion vans that cannot manage to back into a spot and they think they MUST have a pull thru. Frankly, those folks shouldn't be driving at all in my opinion.

ROFL, you are definitely my kind of person!

13. tiffinman

tiffinman
    Expand Collapse

dal....most c/g I've visited charge extra $$$ for full length pull thru ....50A....sewer & water. I've also stayed in pull thru's for more then just 1 night.....sometimes over a week because we enjoy the extra space and have unhooked the toad to go shopping. Sometimes I also book back-ins for extended period of time it depends on our situation.

I have seen pop-ups in pull-thru.... 50A... full hook up sites with a 50A to 20A adaptor using a lite extension cord and NO sewer hose hooked up.... for over a week. To me that's a waste of $$$ and poor site management......but that's just my opinion.

It will be nice when parks start to install 100A sites.......sometimes 50A just isn't enough.

14. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

They are starting to make 100 Amp required RV's so we feel it is necessary. We don't have tons of pull thrus so we try to keep them available for those that aren't unhooking. For people towing their RV our back in spots are long enough so they don't have to unhook. Why should we rent the pull thrus to people that are unhooking and have to make someone with a tow car have to unhook just to be able to park?

15. tiffinman

tiffinman
    Expand Collapse

They are starting to make 100 Amp required RV's so we feel it is necessary.

That I'm glad to hear......with the new bigger all electric coaches 50A just isn't enough power.

Why should we rent the pull thrus to people that are unhooking and have to make someone with a tow car have to unhook just to be able to park?

If that's what they want and are paying for why not ? ?

16. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

If that's what they want and are paying for why not ?

They pay the same price but I feel it is fair to let the ones that aren't unhooking have the pull thrus. Why do people that are unhooking and staying longer feel they are entitled to a spot that someone that is going to be here for 1 night really needs? How would you feel if you pulled in and someone that was going to be here for days had the last pull thru and you were told you must unhook and back into a site just for one night? I'd be willing to bet that you would get angry and leave.

17. Gunnar

Gunnar
    Expand Collapse

I can't say I have seen a whole bunch of pop ups in the spots we have stayed this year. I have seen many driving by on the highway though. I think in my area many of them stay in the provincial parks.

When I was a kid we had a pop up/tent trailer. It was basically a tent on wheels.

18. tiffinman

tiffinman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(dalsgal @ Jul 23 2014, 08:01 PM) [snapback]37441[/snapback]

They pay the same price but I feel it is fair to let the ones that aren't unhooking have the pull thrus. Why do people that are unhooking and staying longer feel they are entitled to a spot that someone that is going to be here for 1 night really needs? How would you feel if you pulled in and someone that was going to be here for days had the last pull thru and you were told you must unhook and back into a site just for one night? I'd be willing to bet that you would get angry and leave.

No......when I pull into a park.....I don't know how long the pull-thru customers will be there .....nor do I care.

but .....if I pulled into a park and there where a bunch of pull thru sites EMPTY and I was willing to pay the price ( most parks charge extra ) and was told I couldn't have one because somebody MAY come in LATER and need it......that would make me angry and I would leave If I'm a late arrival and have to unhook and back in that's fine .....I'm happy just to get ANY site and not be told there are NO sites available.

That's just how I feel

19. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

QUOTE(dalsgal @ Jul 23 2014, 09:01 PM) [snapback]37441[/snapback]
    How would you feel if you pulled in and someone that was going to be here for days had the last pull thru and you were told you must unhook and back into a site just for one night?

Honestly, I would be disappointed that I could not have a pull through, but I would not leave the park unless I had reserved a pull through, and then it was given away. That would make me mad, but I probably wouldn't leave even then; I'd go ahead and take the back in. If I did not have a reservation and a pull through was not available, I would then blame myself for not reserving one before they were all taken.

We prefer pull throughs regardless of our length of stay, and I would be a bit more upset if I couldn't have one just because I was staying several nights. Also, I would think the park owner would want our 2-3+ sure thing rather than take a chance that 2-3+ individuals would be passing through and want a pull through. It would also upset me even more if I took the back in and then the pull throughs sat vacant the whole time we were there.

On occasion we have stayed at parks where we have seen smaller 30 amp rigs/popups on big rig/50 amp sites. My feeling is that if the smaller rigs got there/reserved first, they have just as much right to stay on a larger site if that is what they want to pay for. It's the old adage of first come gets the best spots.

I think it is good that you or any park tries to hold open pull through sites for overnighters, but if someone requests a pull through, I hope you aren't turning them away just because they will be there more than one night.

20. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

We are on the opposite side of the same fence. I drive an older 30a coach, and have stayed 1-2 nights at a local KOA. Because we are staying a short time, we have been automatically put in the pull-through sites, but then I am told we are getting charged an extra $3.00 for the pull through. I would prefer to spend the few extra minutes to back in and save the extra charge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.