Parks With Lots Of Pop Ups

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Happy Camper X2, Jul 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I said we prefer pull throughs, but I probably should have qualified that a bit more and added "when all things are equal." If the pull throughs cost a lot more--more than a few bucks--and if we are going to unhook anyway, we might choose a back in. Also if the pull throughs are in full sun and the back ins are in shade and it is 100 degrees outside, we would probably choose the back in, so we sometimes choose back ins when there are circumstances that make them a better site. Otherwise we stick with pull throughs.

2. Luvtheroad

Luvtheroad
    Expand Collapse

We prefer pull-thrus because that gives us TWO options to get out of the site. We've had to back out of a pull-thru site more than once because some idiot has parked his pickup on the drive across from us and now we don't have the room to swing out (couple that with tight spots/trees/posts/boulders and you don't have a lot of lee-way). I'm not shy about asking someone to move their truck, but on occasion, they aren't there.

3. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

QUOTE(jamarynn1 @ Jul 25 2014, 10:37 PM) [snapback]37463[/snapback]

We prefer pull-thrus because that gives us TWO options to get out of the site. We've had to back out of a pull-thru site more than once because some idiot has parked his pickup on the drive across from us and now we don't have the room to swing out (couple that with tight spots/trees/posts/boulders and you don't have a lot of lee-way). I'm not shy about asking someone to move their truck, but on occasion, they aren't there.

I was in a similar situation just last week. I ended up not having to back out, but I did unhook the toad so I had the ability to back up and maneuver if I needed to. Sort of defeated the purpose of a pull-through, though.

4. tiffinman

tiffinman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(docj @ Jul 26 2014, 06:40 AM) [snapback]37465[/snapback]

I was in a similar situation just last week. I ended up not having to back out, but I did unhook the toad so I had the ability to back up and maneuver if I needed to. Sort of defeated the purpose of a pull-through, though.

This has happen to us also.....more times then I care to recall.

Brings up a whole new topic " inconsiderate campers " the all about " me " campers who do what is best for them ....regardless. I'm in a park now where a small T/T & truck are in a pull-thru spot ( too far back ) and has his awning support post staked to the ground about a foot into the already narrow gravel roadway. Management has spoken to him about it and his reply was ....." I need to be close to the sewer hookup because I only have one section of sewer hose. REALLY ????

I'm almost certain if someone pulling down the roadway accidently rips his awning off.....he would want to sue you.

5. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

Btw, if anyone runs a campground and doesn't like pop-ups, they could always install a pop-up blocker!

6. tiffinman

tiffinman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Fitzjohnfan @ Jul 28 2014, 12:52 AM) [snapback]37511[/snapback]

Btw, if anyone runs a campground and doesn't like pop-ups, they could always install a pop-up blocker!

Now that's funny........ :D

Thanks for the laugh this morning.

7. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(tiffinman @ Jul 28 2014, 06:10 AM) [snapback]37513[/snapback]

Now that's funny........ :D
    Thanks for the laugh this morning.

LOL... thanks for the laugh

8. vincee

vincee
    Expand Collapse

I have noticed a difference of the type of campers at campgrounds not based on the type of campground, but more because of the effects of the economy and folks ability to "hit the roads" and see this beautiful country. A couple of years back it seemed all you saw at CG's were pop-ups with few or any class A or C. It didn't seem to matter if they had kids, dogs rich or poor. Now that the economy and stock market is better, you see many more large (huge too!) 5th wheels, brand new larger TT and a whole lot more class A with out of state plates. Those using their investment monies to subsidize the lifestyle have a lot more breathing room then five years back. To me, the CG the DW and I use is based on reviews on this website, visiting the CG website and hoping for photos to see how large or not the sites are, if there is a reasonable amount of peace and quiet to be had, not necessarily all day, and the convenience to attractions where we are staying. Who, or what with whom would never cross our minds.

9. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

I look for campgrounds that are adult oriented. Then the kids got a trailer and asked where should we go.... Oops I said let me think. Thought of all the places we would not go back to and they loved them. Lots of stuff for the kids to do. So, it was hammered home, I will and have been choosing different locations for years and when they want to go along we look for different styles of camping. I think you see less pop ups in the south then up north too. Who wants to tent camp at 102 degrees. There are some campgrounds including national parks that say hard sided units only.

10. grim509

grim509
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(tiffinman @ Jul 8 2014, 03:10 PM) [snapback]37195[/snapback]

Yeah....Unfortunately in our society ....money does create different classes. Also kids behavior does vary from class to class.

You are absolutely right! Kids we find at State Parks are respectful of others' sites, and are quite polite. Whereas children at "higher class" parks tend to be uppity snobs with no respect of others' property. They feel entitled to pick on younger kids, kick them off the playgrounds (teens doing this), entitled to cut through campsites, even if campers are there, and are usually extremely messy in the bathrooms because they don't have someone to clean up after them.

Of course, they learn from the best with parents that have no sense of decency and equate class with behavior. I mean, these are the same parents that think it's ok to run their generators past quiet hours because they need to power their big screen TVs.

11. grim509

grim509
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(tiffinman @ Jul 23 2014, 10:55 AM) [snapback]37431[/snapback]

Another thing I find amusing is when I see a pop-up in a 50amp pull thru site. It takes up only about 1/2 of the site .... including the pull vehicle. I often wonder if it's the request of the pop-up owner or the blunder of the site management team . Regardless .... if that's what makes them happy campers ...good for them. IMHO it seems like a waste of money and a large 50A site.

Yes, because pop up owners shouldn't be entitled to have some space, right?

You do realize that pop-ups have quite a few amenities available now, right? Such as microwaves, air conditioners, hot water heaters, etc.

Of course, spending anything over $20,000 for a camper may seem like a waste of money to them. Especially considering you can actually go more places with a pop-up (boondocking, anyone?), and they're just as versatile as a large RV.

You seem very uppity and snobbish. I am glad I've never had to camp next to someone like you.

12. tiffinman

tiffinman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(grim509 @ Aug 26 2014, 12:16 PM) [snapback]37917[/snapback]

Yes, because pop up owners shouldn't be entitled to have some space, right?

You do realize that pop-ups have quite a few amenities available now, right? Such as microwaves, air conditioners, hot water heaters, etc.

Of course, spending anything over $20,000 for a camper may seem like a waste of money to them. Especially considering you can actually go more places with a pop-up (boondocking, anyone?), and they're just as versatile as a large RV.

You seem very uppity and snobbish. I am glad I've never had to camp next to someone like you.

WOW.....I didn't say they are not entitled to some space. I said I find it amusing. If they pay for it..... they can have whatever they want. I'm sure they have full amenities .....but also sure they can get by in a large 30A or less site. I have survived for weeks on 30A's....just manage your power usage.

You also said I seem uppity and snobbish. This I also find amusing....you can determine this by my post. Well base on your post.... you seem like a moron.

PS.....OH ....If you have ever camped next to a large Class A motorhome....you HAVE camped next to someone JUST LIKE ME.

13. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

Guys, there is no need for childish name calling. No matter what your opinion is of someone attacks are never something that should be done here.

14. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

QUOTE(tiffinman @ Aug 26 2014, 02:14 PM) [snapback]37919[/snapback]

PS.....OH ....If you have ever camped next to a large Class A motorhome....you HAVE camped next to someone JUST LIKE ME.

On behalf of the owners of large Class A's, we are not all alike. Some of us are very easy-going people who don't believe that wealth dictates class. We've spent the past six weeks at a relatively rural Canadian campground where we have been the only Class A except for a couple of nights when another US couple in their large Class A stopped by. They very obviously turned up their noses at the mostly trailer-types who stay here and left fairly quickly--no loss. We've made lots of friends here and I don't think any less of them because they RV in trailers.

15. Janet H

Janet H
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Folks we have removed several snark-ish comments from this thread and closed it. Please remember that we are all here for the same reason; a common interest in RVing, and be kind to one another. We expect members to post in a collegial manner.

Site Team

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.