Is The Economy Finally Turning Around

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by mdcamping, Jul 10, 2014.

1. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

From what I have read it's always been for told when the Rv industry either rebounds or slumps it would be the first sign on which direction the general economy is going.

This said in the North East 3 resort/destination style campgrounds have just opened, Moose Hillock Lake George area NY, Bear Creek Campground in Bristol, Ct and Ashaway Rv Resort, RI.

Certainly this is a positive sign, something I don't think I would have seen 4 yrs ago.

So my Question is has anyone seen any campgrounds opening or anything else related to the Rv industry that's improving the economy in the other different parts of the USA.

Mike

2. vincee

vincee
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(mdcamping @ Jul 10 2014, 08:37 PM) [snapback]37220[/snapback]

From what I have read it's always been for told when the Rv industry either rebounds or slumps it would be the first sign on which direction the general economy is going.

Mike

I don't know about new RV resort type parks opening, but every campground I have visited this year has been full or almost full. My local state park on the shores of Lake Erie is booked every weekend through the summer. During our last 6 day visit in mid June every electric site in the CG was taken, which we have never seen in all the times camped there. Also my wife and I have noticed a lot of new or newer RV's, a lot more class A's and large 5th wheels. It seemed just a couple of years ago most campers had pop ups or older tow behinds. The RV industry did enjoy a 13% increase in sales last year (if I am correct) saying it was its best year since the high holy days of RV sales in 2007-2008 and it shows at the campgrounds and drive ways around home.

3. Happy Camper X2

Happy Camper X2
    Expand Collapse

I think it still has a way to go but it appears to be moving in a positive way. Sales and deliveries of trailers seemed good this year but is that part of a real bad winter? Moose Hillock is a result of another to be new RV park going belly up but...

4. rkw99

rkw99
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(GaryWT @ Jul 16 2014, 04:44 PM) [snapback]37308[/snapback]

I think it still has a way to go but it appears to be moving in a positive way. Sales and deliveries of trailers seemed good this year but is that part of a real bad winter? Moose Hillock is a result of another to be new RV park going belly up but...

can you explain more what you mean by this? I am interested in Lake George area parks. We used to go to Lake George Escape but a few years ago they went downhill for us and we haven't been back. So I would be interested in a new resort style park with lots of kids activities in that area

5. Happy Camper X2

Happy Camper X2
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(rkw99 @ Jul 17 2014, 10:42 AM) [snapback]37327[/snapback]

can you explain more what you mean by this? I am interested in Lake George area parks. We used to go to Lake George Escape but a few years ago they went downhill for us and we haven't been back. So I would be interested in a new resort style park with lots of kids activities in that area

A couple years back the Chocolate Moose was being built but the couple that was building it spent all their money and could not get a loan to finish construction. It sat for a years or so and they had to sell. The family that owns Moose Hillock NH came along and bought it. They did some redesign, few but large sites, huge themed pool etc. their NH location does well and now I hear the NY campground is wonderful. One of the sons runs the NY location. Will get there someday, looks awesome.

6. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

QUOTE(rkw99 @ Jul 17 2014, 02:42 PM) [snapback]37327[/snapback]
    I am interested in Lake George area parks. We used to go to Lake George Escape but a few years ago they went downhill for us and we haven't been back.

We've been to lake George Escape a few times, last time was in 2007, we had a great time but lately reviews haven't been the best, so just curious what problems did you see with the campground?

Mike

7. RFCN2

RFCN2
    Expand Collapse

According the the RV industry association 2014 will see an 8.8% increase in RV production totals compared to 2013. This is the sixth year of increase.

As to your more general question if the economy is finally getting better. I don't know. I have made a lot of money in the stock market, but the economy never seems to have taken off for the guy on Main St.

I would say if the stock market holds most of it's gains with no more than a 10-15% correction over the next six months, then yes, the economy has finally turned the corner and we will see increased hiring and wage increases. If the stock market tanks and goes down 40%, we are in for a recession.

8. rkw99

rkw99
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(mdcamping @ Jul 18 2014, 09:03 PM) [snapback]37352[/snapback]

We've been to lake George Escape a few times, last time was in 2007, we had a great time but lately reviews haven't been the best, so just curious what problems did you see with the campground?

Mike

Our last time there was about 2010. They had apparently overbooked and tried to put us in the back section. We specifically reserved (with extra fee for the privilege) the front section near the activities because our kids were too small to ride bikes and it would be a hassle to schlep them back and forth for activities. When we protested, they tried to put us in this terrible site way too small for our camper. Magically a site came available when we started to make a scene about it. And during the whole process, the staff was not communicating with us what the problem was. Just clicking away at the computer endlessly. No apology about the situation or anything. The bathrooms were not as clean as they used to be. And they got stingy about the kids' activities. They charged extra per child (about $5 each I believe per day) and would give them one water balloon each for the water balloon fight.
    The time before that we went and had issues with the electric. There was not enough electric to run the AC and stuff.....
    There were some other minor issues too that I don't recall but left a bad taste.
    This was a repeat campground for us but we have been sticking with our other staple, Holly Shores in Cape May.

9. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

QUOTE(rkw99 @ Jul 21 2014, 12:11 AM) [snapback]37386[/snapback]

Our last time there was about 2010. They had apparently overbooked and tried to put us in the back section. We specifically reserved (with extra fee for the privilege) the front section near the activities because our kids were too small to ride bikes and it would be a hassle to schlep them back and forth for activities. When we protested, they tried to put us in this terrible site way too small for our camper. Magically a site came available when we started to make a scene about it. And during the whole process, the staff was not communicating with us what the problem was. Just clicking away at the computer endlessly. No apology about the situation or anything. The bathrooms were not as clean as they used to be. And they got stingy about the kids' activities. They charged extra per child (about $5 each I believe per day) and would give them one water balloon each for the water balloon fight.
    The time before that we went and had issues with the electric. There was not enough electric to run the AC and stuff.....
    There were some other minor issues too that I don't recall but left a bad taste.
    This was a repeat campground for us but we have been sticking with our other staple, Holly Shores in Cape May.

Good you guys stuck to your guns about your reserved site, sounds to me LGE is getting to corporate.

As mentioned earlier check out Moose Hillock, NY... family owned as least.

Mike

10. GandJ

GandJ
    Expand Collapse

So my Question is has anyone seen any campgrounds opening or anything else related to the Rv industry that's improving the economy in the other different parts of the USA.

Mike

I know of four couples who have purchased brand new Class A motorhomes in recent
    months. (Three Tiffins and a top-of-the-line Winnie). I sure hope that's a sign of an
    improving economy.

11. tiffinman

tiffinman
    Expand Collapse

This said in the North East 3 resort/destination style campgrounds have just opened, Moose Hillock Lake George area NY, Bear Creek Campground in Bristol, Ct and Ashaway Rv Resort, RI.

Certainly this is a positive sign, something I don't think I would have seen 4 yrs ago.

Mike

This place is a brand new park just opened in April..........it was an AMAZING place with more great plans on the way. The owner invested about $2.5 million so far.

http://www.anchordownrvresort.com/

12. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

QUOTE(tiffinman @ Aug 7 2014, 04:36 PM) [snapback]37657[/snapback]

This place is a brand new park just opened in April..........it was an AMAZING place with more great plans on the way. The owner invested about $2.5 million so far.

http://www.anchordownrvresort.com/

Wow!, those are some serious fire pits!... place looks awesome! We'll have to put that on our to do list.

Mike

13. tiffinman

tiffinman
    Expand Collapse

Serious fireplaces with a GREAT view of Douglas Lake.....from all sites...

[​IMG]

and the pool also.....

[​IMG]

14. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Are those sites across the road in the fireplace pic really as close together as they look??? I wouldn't like that!

15. tiffinman

tiffinman
    Expand Collapse

Well.... yes ...... but they are " BUDDY " sites . One is a pull in site and one is a back in site.....so both social sides are on the same side. They share one fire ring or some have fireplaces and are only rented 2 units together at a time. There are about 1/2 dozen of these scattered through out the park. We where there over a week and only one buddy site was being used. I think it's a cool idea if you are traveling with a friend or family member. Its a well planned park.

The place is built on the side of the mountain in 4 " tiers " or levels. If you want larger sites surrounded with grass the upper tier is nice. We spent a few days in the upper level......then moved to a " fireplace " site one level lower..

[​IMG]

It has a view from higher up too........

[​IMG]

16. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Oh good! That puts a different spin on it. We will consider a visit there when we're in the area.

17. tiffinman

tiffinman
    Expand Collapse

Yeah.....the buddy sites are a cool idea. I've never seen them in any other park before this. He's gearing towards group camping with future plans of building a large convention center. When we where there the land up front was already cleared.

I guess with the amount of capital he's investing...... he's very confident that the economy has finally turned around. :)

18. NorthernIllinoisPlumber

NorthernIllinoisPlumber
    Expand Collapse

Be wary of any numbers coming from ANY industry. Why would anyone report a slump for the coming year?

When all the sideline plumbers in my area go work for a company, instead of 1/2 of what they are worth, then the economy is better.

19. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

#19 mdcamping, Feb 27, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  20. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Let's hope the good times continue. I believe it depends a lot on ensuring more open and fair trade between countries. We don't want a repeat of the Great Depression where countries closed their borders to trade and consequently putting a lot of people out of work.

mdcamping likes this.