Requesting Advise Ny To Fla

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by Camping Mer, Jul 12, 2014.

1. Camping Mer

Camping Mer
    Expand Collapse

Hello Campers!
    My husband and I are taking the family to Florida next month and I was looking for any advise or suggestions. We are taking the kids (8 and 6) and the dogs. The plan is to go to Legoland and Disney for a day or two each and then we will have 8 days left. We do the glam camping with wifi and cable, love swimming, playgrounds, mini golf, arts and crafts, basketball, movies, etc. Yogi Bear and KOA style.

--Any must see or fabulous RV parks to stay?
    --Suggested routes to avoid to take?
    --Any RV Resorts ON the beach in Florida you can suggest?
    --Any other info you think we can use will be greatly appreciated. We have never been 'down south' , Disney, or LegoLand.

Keep Camping!
    :D

2. Tallboy

Tallboy
    Expand Collapse

We don't stay at parks that cater to kids so can't help you there.

Stay away from Atlanta, GA. Traffic is nasty.

It will be hot and humid in Florida, so drink lots of water. At least no less then one gallon of water per person per day.

Be sure your A/C(s) on the RV are in working order. You will need it/them.

Watch the weather forecast for Hurricanes. The season is there.

Check out Busch Gardens. Airboat tours. Edward Ball Wakulla Springs State Park.

Have fun.

3. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

We also do not travel with kids so we're not tuned in to activities for them, but we think the prettiest beaches are on the west/Gulf of Mexico coast. Also Florida is a big state, and I don't know if you plan to go to the panhandle area, but if you do, the Blue Angels are based at Pensacola NAS and hold their free practice sessions there (spectacular!). Then on certain days the pilots go into the Naval Aviation Museum (free also) that is there and greet the public and sign autographs. Check their website for dates and times. We also really liked the museum. Lots of planes to see, but it might not be all that much fun for younger kids, although there were quite a few there when we visited.

Closer to the Orlando area is the Kennedy Space Center. Again I have no idea how 6 and 8 year olds would like this, but I think they have some activities for younger kids. Again check their website.

Hope this helps and have fun.

4. jimnina

jimnina
    Expand Collapse

We live in Central Florida and camp with grandkids all the time. We have taken numerous trips to Upstate NY with them every two years. Not knowing what activities you are looking for I will give a few wide ranging possibilities. Definitely check out Groupon and Living Social for on-line discounts for dining, activities, and tours. The Florida Welcome center is also a good choice for discounts.

St. Augustine has some very nice camp grounds close by to downtown and again of you like museums and history type stuff this is a good stop. To name a few, Pirate Museum, Oldest School, Flagler College, Old Jail, and Oldest cathedral from the 1500's. On a trip without the grandkids we did take a Segway tour and it was very informative.

Tropical Palms RV Resort in Kissimmee is a nice place. The pool is quite nice and the park is clean. Almost any kind of site you can think of. Deer often travel on the North side of the park. Also it is walking distance to Old Town, Shopping, kiddie rides and Friday/Saturday car shows and cruise-in. There is also a larger permanent amusement park at the back of the property. Bungee jump, multiple go-cart tracks. It is very close to Disney.

Fort Wilderness at Disney, Very cool place and access to all of the parks. We don't really do Disney, but if we go to Fort Wilderness, we never go to the parks.

Ft Desoto Campground. This is in Pinellas County and is home to some of the best beaches in the Country, and has been voted as such. There also is kayak/canoe rentals, fishing piers, and the Old Fort. The park is very hard to get into, but they do have walkups available.

Highland Hammock State Park. This park is in the middle of the state, near Sebring. It does not have a pool, but it has lots of hiking/biking trails. It also hosts 1000 year old Oak tree.

Not knowing what part of New York I would also suggest a stop in Hersey Park, unless you have been there. We spent the whole day last year on our way to Upstate NY and the kids loved it. 11 roller coasters, water park, and other rides. We never even made it to the chocolate store.

If you are into museum stops then Pooler and Savannah GA would be good. Pooler is Home to the Mighty Eight Air Force museum. Savannah hosts a railroad train museum which has a working round table and they give rides with a 1900's Steam Locomotive and Open Air car. The ride is very short, but very cool. There are all types of train cars and short tours of locomotives, cabooses, and executive cars. Lady and Sons in Savannah, Paula Dean restaurant was very good and you have to make reservations even for lunch.
    Campflorida.com will get you to campgrounds where you can look for peruse what campgrounds has to offer including reservation information. Reserveamerica.com is also a search, reserve site for state parks.
    I could go on and on but this should get you going.
    Happy traveling!!!

5. rkw99

rkw99
    Expand Collapse

We have been to Disney twice with the kids and will be going next month as well. We are in NJ and we never take the RV to Florida. You are very ambitious to think you will get through Disney in a day or 2 with an 8 and 6 yr old. Disney alone has 4 theme parks and each should be allocated a day minimum imo. You should get maps in advance and plan out your schedule to try to make the most of it.

Disney is the one place we don't take the RV. In my opinion the cost of fuel to get there is not worth it. When doing Disney, I don't want to be cooking meals and having campfires. I am there to do the parks with the kids all day and eat out. It is more economical to get a hotel for $99 a night that includes breakfast and just drive down in the car. (But this is my logic and I hope you don't take it the wrong way)

You do sound like you want to do more than Disney. There is plenty to do in the Orlando area. As someone mentioned the Kennedy Space Center is not far from there. And the beaches are nice. I don't know of beach camping in mainland florida but the Keys have nice campgrounds (have been to the Keys once but did not camp)

6. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

Stay at FT Wilderness. Top notch and there are four parks at Disney you can see if you want too. Less driving if you stay in one location.