" Our Recent Rv Park Incident "

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by BankShot, Jul 17, 2014.

1. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

H everyone - I recently posted regarding an incident we had in an RV park where some tree branches scratched up the side of our motorhome. I have been pretty upset about this due to the owner not getting back with at least a phone call to discuss it with us. A manager said to go ahead and send in an estimate to have the scratches buffed out and I did over a week ago and had still not heard a word back from the owner. Well, today I had a big surprise in my mailbox. They sent us a check to cover 2/3 of the estimate of repairs along with a letter explaining their policy regarding damages, etc. This really showed come class on their part as we never expected to hear from the park again. I just want to say that due to this we will stay at this park again the next time we are passing thru as it really is a very nice park located in a great area. For anyone who followed my other post and especially to those who responded I wiill tell you all now that the name of the park is Boulder Creek RV Resort and it is located just south of Lone Pine, CA on Hwy 395. I feel the park was fair in in agreeing to pay what they did but I also felt they were responsible due to the trees not being trimmed as they say they were. No matter, they stepped up to the plate and made good and for that they deserve to recognized in a good way by us on behalf of the RV community Could have knocked me over with a feather when I opened that envelope.................

Regards, Bankshot

2. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

This should have been posted on your original thread. I think you should have waited until you knew they were definitely not going to help before you posted anything.

3. Happy Camper X2

Happy Camper X2
    Expand Collapse

That is good news for you but also for the future, teach your spotter to look up as well as left and right.

4. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(dalsgal @ Jul 18 2014, 05:14 AM) [snapback]37336[/snapback]

This should have been posted on your original thread. I think you should have waited until you knew they were definitely not going to help before you posted anything.

Thanks, I made an error on this one and should have added it to my original thread as you indicated. I am new and am learning the ropes as I go. I did post a review of this park which has yet to be put up and it explains it all in short as well as how it was handled, etc. And I did commend the park for sending a check to cover a major portion of the damages even tho it took a while for them to do so. That in itself showed me a lot on their part. Happy RVing to you.....

Bankshot

5. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(GaryWT @ Jul 18 2014, 10:02 AM) [snapback]37338[/snapback]

That is good news for you but also for the future, teach your spotter to look up as well as left and right.

In this particular situation my spotter was on the other side of our coach guiding me in so I wouldn't hit boulders that lined both sides of the space. Neither of us noticed the higher branches on one side. We have a full height coach and those branches were just low enough and stuck out too far into the space to where they came in contact. Yes we could have checked better but didn't and I was mad at myself afterwards for not seeing them. That's my story and I'm sticking to it............ :D

Regards, Bankshot

6. tiffinman

tiffinman
    Expand Collapse

" They sent us a check to cover 2/3 of the estimate of repairs along with a letter explaining their policy regarding damages, etc. This really showed come class on their part as we never expected to hear from the park again. I just want to say that due to this we will stay at this park again the next time we are passing thru as it really is a very nice park located in a great area. "

I agree with you about the park stepping up to the plate and doing the right thing....I think that is rare these days. I'm happy you recuperated some $$$

The thing I don't agree with is you thinking this is a NICE park. They assigned you a site that couldn't accommodate a 31' ( according to your profile ) class A coach after you told them you were " full size " ?? What would have happen if you where truly " full size " ??

I personally would steer clear of this c/g....they obviously don't have a clue what they are doing.

7. BoomerNY

BoomerNY
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(tiffinman @ Jul 18 2014, 02:33 PM) [snapback]37344[/snapback]

The thing I don't agree with is you thinking this is a NICE park. They assigned you a site that couldn't accommodate a 31' ( according to your profile ) class A coach after you told them you were " full size " ?? What would have happen if you where truly " full size " ??

I personally would steer clear of this c/g....they obviously don't have a clue what they are doing.

Did Bankshot say that there were several big rigs squeezed into tight spots? I didn't see a mention of that. To say "they obviously don't have a clue..." I think is a little over-the-top on your assessment. It is possible that either: A- someone made an honest error in site assisgnment or B- it had been a while that they had a taller rig on that site and the branches had never caused an issue for someone before this. Or is it expected that the campground should be going to every site with a tape measure to check branch clearances every time a reservation is made?

Bankshot - glad to hear you got some compensation from the campground. IMO, I'd say the onus is on the operator to asses the site and area prior to attempting to occupy the site. I disagree with calling them out and giving them a poor review based on your incident, but (having not been there to witness) I respect your initial frustration and displeasure with ownership. Glad to see you got some restitution, and hope that you visit them again in earnest.

8. tiffinman

tiffinman
    Expand Collapse

" Did Bankshot say that there were several big rigs squeezed into tight spots? "

DID I ???

" Or is it expected that the campground should be going to every site with a tape measure to check branch clearances every time a reservation is made? "

YES ....I would expect a campground to know each and every site limitations...to what size rig it could accommodate. That's their business.

NO......I wouldn't expect them to clear branches every time a reservation is made.....BUT ....I would expect them to clear branches BEFORE the seasons starts. Not only on the sites but the roads leading to the sites also.

If they don't then my comment stands........They don't have a clue.

9. BoomerNY

BoomerNY
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(tiffinman @ Jul 18 2014, 08:06 PM) [snapback]37346[/snapback]

" Did Bankshot say that there were several big rigs squeezed into tight spots? "
    DID I ???

No, but that's the point of it could've been an oversight on site assignment. If Bank saw several big rigs on sites that were too small, then I'd agree with "they don't have a clue". I just think that's a harsh criticism based on the singular experience he had.

10. dbnck

dbnck
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(tiffinman @ Jul 18 2014, 12:33 PM) [snapback]37344[/snapback]

In the original thread, the OP said, "Found out after the fact that the person who checked us in should have known not to put an RV of our size and height into that space but that's a moot point at this stage..................."

A person made a mistake. I don't think that means the campground owners "obviously don't have a clue what they are doing." And I doubt that person is going to make that mistake again, so I'd be pretty confident that everybody there is now on the clue wagon.

Also, the OP spelled "moot" correctly. Massive points for that.

11. tiffinman

tiffinman
    Expand Collapse

"Found out after the fact that the person who checked us in should have known not to put an RV of our size and height into that space....

......so if you feel its OK for the owner to have inadequate workers running the reservations and site assignment position . That's your call. I feel an employee that can't read a site assignment camp map ( that has length limitations on it ) maybe should be working housekeeping.

I understand humans make mistakes .....but I also feel the owner should know where to place his employees according to their capability.

But it doesn't matter.....I personally will never visit this c/g.

12. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(tiffinman @ Jul 18 2014, 10:26 PM) [snapback]37351[/snapback]

"Found out after the fact that the person who checked us in should have known not to put an RV of our size and height into that space....
    ......so if you feel its OK for the owner to have inadequate workers running the reservations and site assignment position . That's your call. I feel an employee that can't read a site assignment camp map ( that has length limitations on it ) maybe should be working housekeeping.
    I understand humans make mistakes .....but I also feel the owner should know where to place his employees according to their capability.

But it doesn't matter.....I personally will never visit this c/g.

I suspect you're going to find very few campgrounds/parks that can meet your high standards...

13. tiffinman

tiffinman
    Expand Collapse

Well......we have had no problem to date. We have pulled out of a few c/g's that don't have a clue what big rig friendly means.......but that was our choice.

14. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(tiffinman @ Jul 19 2014, 12:45 AM) [snapback]37354[/snapback]

Well......we have had no problem to date. We have pulled out of a few c/g's that don't have a clue what big rig friendly means.......but that was our choice.

And I can say with absolute certainty that every park where you had no problem was operated by and employed people with all the usual human foibles for making mistakes, errors in judgement, and memory lapses that could lead to the results that you apparently feel should rule out ever using that park again.

15. tiffinman

tiffinman
    Expand Collapse

I can understand if ONE person makes ONE mistake....that's not a problem. It happens.

What I do have a problem with ..... is when you have the reservation person .....the site assignment person....and the person guiding you to your site.... all make the same mistake.

How much do you overlook before you decide not to return to a park ?

Or maybe our expectations just differ from what we expect of a campground.

16. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(tiffinman @ Jul 19 2014, 11:01 AM) [snapback]37360[/snapback]

I can understand if ONE person makes ONE mistake....that's not a problem. It happens.

What I do have a problem with ..... is when you have the reservation person .....the site assignment person....and the person guiding you to your site.... all make the same mistake.

How much do you overlook before you decide not to return to a park ?
    Or maybe our expectations just differ from what we expect of a campground.

And you know for a fact that in the OP's case all three of those people existed? I don't recall any mention of a site guide, and the reservation taker is often the same person that makes the site assignment, so it's quite possible that only one person was involved in the error. My expectations are that I'll make sure I can safely put my rig on the assigned site. But then I'm human too, and mistakes do happen. I don't write off an otherwise acceptable park because of a singular incident and my own failure to take due care.

17. tiffinman

tiffinman
    Expand Collapse

I never said I knew for a fact the OP case all 3 existed . I'm speaking from my experiences .... and what is not acceptable to me .

Do you know for a fact all 3 where the same person. ?

18. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(tiffinman @ Jul 19 2014, 12:30 PM) [snapback]37366[/snapback]

I never said I knew for a fact the OP case all 3 existed . I'm speaking from my experiences .... and what is not acceptable to me .

Hi - Just to make this all a bit clearer for everyone. There was just one gal that checked us in and she also assigned our space. I asked if there was a guide to show us to the space, etc. and she told me there wasn't but that the space would be easy find. So in this instance only one person was doing the job of three and I took it from there and the rest is history. Hope this clears up this subject for everyone.............?

BankShot

19. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(tiffinman @ Jul 19 2014, 01:30 PM) [snapback]37366[/snapback]

I do now... :rolleyes:

20. tiffinman

tiffinman
    Expand Collapse

Yes....we all do now :D