I Got A New Name......

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by DXSMac, Aug 26, 2014.

1. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Hello, just wanted to tell everyone that the FORMER DXSMac is now RetiredFA.

I got the email link stating that the site changes mean that reviews will now show a review name. Well, I'm kind of "known" on a lot of forums as DXSMac. I didn't want that to show next to my reviews, so I switched it to RetiredFA thinking it wouldn't change my forum name.

Guess I was wrong......

So, I have now changed my name on here.

2. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

QUOTE(RetiredFA @ Aug 26 2014, 06:38 PM) [snapback]37929[/snapback]

Hello, just wanted to tell everyone that the FORMER DXSMac is now RetiredFA.

I got the email link stating that the site changes mean that reviews will now show a review name. Well, I'm kind of "known" on a lot of forums as DXSMac. I didn't want that to show next to my reviews, so I switched it to RetiredFA thinking it wouldn't change my forum name.

Guess I was wrong......

So, I have now changed my name on here.

I'm not sure if I got this, you got a e mail from this site stating that forum names will now be used as a review name/profile name?

Mike

3. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Here's the exact wording:

"We are nearing the release of our newly updated website. In order to protect your privacy, please update your Display Name at the link below to ensure personally identifiable information will not displayed."

Followed by a limited lifetime link where we can change our display name. I took the opportunity to change my display name from "Dutch_12078" to "NYDutch".

4. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Thank you for the reply, was this a e mail??? what concerns me is I haven't received a e mail from this site in years. Years ago I use to get a email thanks for my reviews sent in but been a long time since I have seen that.

I checked my e mail today, nothing but hopefully will see something soon.

This all said I don't think I have a issue with my forum profile but I would like to be informed.

Mike

5. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Yes, this was an emailed message. Have you checked your profile to make sure the email address is current? Spam filter catching it perhaps?

6. ldr1992

ldr1992
    Expand Collapse

I got the same email from rvreviews and came here this morning to check to see if it was legit. Surprised there is nothing on this forum or website from the RV REVIEWS asking us to do the same.

7. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

QUOTE(mdcamping @ Aug 26 2014, 07:13 PM) [snapback]37933[/snapback]

Thank you for the reply, was this a e mail??? what concerns me is I haven't received a e mail from this site in years. Years ago I use to get a email thanks for my reviews sent in but been a long time since I have seen that.

I checked my e mail today, nothing but hopefully will see something soon.

This all said I don't think I have a issue with my forum profile but I would like to be informed.

Mike

You are not alone with respect to not receiving emails from this site. We discovered this issue fairly recently. Since we are in the process of migrating to a new platform fixing this issue has not been a high priority.

It's my understanding that a pop-up will be implemented on this site soon asking that people verify or change their user names.

8. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

This is legitimate, and I knew that it was going tot happen; however, I did not know an exact date, and I did not realize that the emails would go out without some kind of a post on the forums. This is being handled by the higher level administrators, so I do not feel comfortable answering questions at this time as I might give out misinformation. I will ask that all of this be clarified asap.

9. Janet H

Janet H
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

We can put up a an announcement to this effect. These e-mails are going out in batches and will be sent several times as we are trying to make sure everyone has ample time and notice to make this change.

10. NorthernIllinoisPlumber

NorthernIllinoisPlumber
    Expand Collapse

What kind of personal info will go out?

11. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

QUOTE(NorthernIllinoisPlumber @ Aug 28 2014, 12:47 PM) [snapback]37991[/snapback]

What kind of personal info will go out?

I assume you are asking what information will be accessible by users of the new RVPR regarding members. Obviously, your display name will be visible along with the number of reviews you have submitted, the number of states you have submitted reviews about and the number of "helpful votes" you have received (something new, but similar to TripAdvisor). There will also be a map that will enable users to see the locations of the parks that you have reviewed.

As far as I know that's the only information that the other members will have access to.

12. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

QUOTE(Janet H @ Aug 27 2014, 12:08 PM) [snapback]37956[/snapback]

We can put up a an announcement to this effect. These e-mails are going out in batches and will be sent several times as we are trying to make sure everyone has ample time and notice to make this change.

I have started threads on all the major RV forums regarding our email request. There already was a thread on Escapees which I responded to and I opened new ones on rv.net, IRV2 and rvforum.net

People were concerned as to whether or not the email was spam; this provided the ability to explain it in a little more detail.

BTW I don't get RVPR's emails and haven't received this one either.

13. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Ok, I changed RetiredFA back to DXSMac so I could use it on this forum.

14. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

QUOTE(docj @ Aug 28 2014, 02:50 PM) [snapback]37993[/snapback]

I have started threads on all the major RV forums regarding our email request. There already was a thread on Escapees which I responded to and I opened new ones on rv.net, IRV2 and rvforum.net

I'm also a member of a smaller camping forum in the north east. Would it be okay to post a link on the other forum?... I believe we have a few RVPR members there.

Mike

15. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

QUOTE(mdcamping @ Aug 28 2014, 07:09 PM) [snapback]38003[/snapback]

I'm also a member of a smaller camping forum in the north east. Would it be okay to post a link on the other forum?... I believe we have a few RVPR members there.

Mike

Sure, just explain to people that they are not required to change their display names, but that we want them to know what name will be displayed.

16. NorthernIllinoisPlumber

NorthernIllinoisPlumber
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the info...

17. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(docj @ Aug 28 2014, 06:32 PM) [snapback]38004[/snapback]

Sure, just explain to people that they are not required to change their display names, but that we want them to know what name will be displayed.

Do you have an "approved" Message we can post in other discussion groups to mention the email and changes? I would like to post something on FMCA.com, but want to make sure I get the message correct.

Thanks,

18. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

QUOTE(Fitzjohnfan @ Aug 29 2014, 04:05 PM) [snapback]38020[/snapback]

Do you have an "approved" Message we can post in other discussion groups to mention the email and changes? I would like to post something on FMCA.com, but want to make sure I get the message correct.

Thanks,

Here's what I posted on several other forums; you are welcome to copy it with the appropriate changes:

Many people here have probably received an email from campgroundreviews.com asking that you check and verify your user name for that site. This is NOT SPAM.

As an admin for RVParkReviews let me clarify this request. The current site software does not associate reviews of parks with a displayed individual's name (obviously, the system knows who submits each review). However, the new software platform we are migrating to next month will display a name for each review in much the same way that TripAdvisor does.

Many RVPR's members used their real names when they signed up to join the site. Some took advantage of the ability to create a "display name" but many did not. This didn't matter if names weren't associated with reviews but it might bother some people to have their names publicly linked to some reviews they have posted, particularly unfavorable ones.

The purpose of this email is to give members the chance to change the name that will be displayed. It does not require you to make a change; it only notifies you of the right to do so if you wish.

Here's the link to the webpage where you can check your RVPR account settings: RVPR account settings: https://www.campgroundreviews.com/update_name.php

You will have to insert the URL link in the format appropriate for the forum you are posting on.

19. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

I have been Lindsay Richards and now am Florida Native. I received an answer to my post on this thread, but did not receive an email update. Could be my mistake. Hopefully somebody will answer this and I can test the system again. I am Florida Native on some other sites, so it is no bid deal with me.

20. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi Lindsay,

Did this generate an email for you?

QUOTE(Florida Native @ Aug 29 2014, 08:27 PM) [snapback]38022[/snapback]

I have been Lindsay Richards and now am Florida Native. I received an answer to my post on this thread, but did not receive an email update. Could be my mistake. Hopefully somebody will answer this and I can test the system again. I am Florida Native on some other sites, so it is no bid deal with me.