Sons Birthday Surprise Rv Ideas

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Mmagee, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Mmagee

Mmagee
    Expand Collapse

Hi all
    I am new to the RV world, although I must say I have always wanted to take a RV trip. My 7 yr old son has been begging to buy an RV so we thought this year for his birthday we would rent one for a 3day weekend. I know that's not very long but it's all the time we have so we are going to make it work. We are looking at using Cruise America since it is just a quick trip. Are there any suggestions you would have for us since we are new to this? We live in Houston Texas and would also love some short destination ideas. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance,
    mmagee

2. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Mmagee @ Sep 15 2014, 08:15 PM) [snapback]38324[/snapback]

Hi all
    I am new to the RV world, although I must say I have always wanted to take a RV trip. My 7 yr old son has been begging to buy an RV so we thought this year for his birthday we would rent one for a 3day weekend. I know that's not very long but it's all the time we have so we are going to make it work. We are looking at using Cruise America since it is just a quick trip. Are there any suggestions you would have for us since we are new to this? We live in Houston Texas and would also love some short destination ideas. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance,
    mmagee

There are a lot of places around Houston. Galveston has some campgrounds and your son would probably love the beach. How about state and national parks. Lots oof stuff there. I have never rented an RV so nohelp there.

Have fun.

3. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

My 9 year old grandson likes being in the woods. Perhaps you could do a Corp of Engineer near Sam Rayburn Lake. Those are nice for a first timer. Do some fishing, ride his bike, swim, etc. Take the portable BBQ grill and cook out doors. If the rig is big enuff consider having im take a friend.

Then there is the Blue Bell Ice Cream factory tour in Brenham. What kid doesn't like ice cream? :)

4. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

I would 2nd Galveston as a good destination. You can camp at several campgrounds and try taking a"duck tour" if they still have them. A few Years ago, I took our family on one and they drive you around town on an old army amphibious vehicle called a duck and then drive in the water for a while.

5. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

For entertainment, check out Moody Gardens in Galveston. www.moodygardens.com

6. Happy Camper X2

Happy Camper X2
    Expand Collapse

Have fun, great idea. Try to stay within 2 hours if you are going 3 days. Pick a campground with things you like whether it is hiking, swimming pools or beach. Enjoy. Just for another thought, many campground rent trailers already set up on site but traveling is sometimes the key.

7. Mmagee

Mmagee
    Expand Collapse

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! We have done Galveston a few times in hotels although I'm sure it would be different in a RV. So I am definitely going to check out Sam Rayburn. He loves hiking and playing in the woods so I think that will be a great spot.
    Thanks again