Rvpr Web Changes Nov 6 | Postponed

Discussion in 'CGR Site Admin, News and Announcements' started by Janet H, Nov 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Janet H

Janet H
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

As you may be aware, we have been working to update the reviews page and this Thursday Nov 6 we are going to switch to the new look and interface. This is a substantial rewrite and so to get all content migrated we will be offline for about 24 hours. During that time you can watch for progress updates on the RVPR facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/RV-Park-Revi...173223312706611

Once the new site is up there will still be tweaks to be made but our goal is to keep downtime to a minimum and so as soon and the site is navigable we will be back. We ask you to bear with us once the new site is up as we work through bugs and tweaks. Having members input on any bugs will make this process much faster and we're confident that most of them should be worked out fairly quickly.

This major code rewrite should position us to add new features in the next few months that should be great additions. New features will include the ability to upload images with reviews, a new mobile platform, new profile features and functions and more privacy controls.

We're really exited to finally be updating the site and the site team has been busy offering input and advice during the development process.

Here are a few screen shots of what you should see when you login on Friday :)

Attached Files:

2. Janet H

Janet H
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Just bumping this - so that everyone sees....

3. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

I've posted the pertinent text from your post on several other RV forums as well, Janet.

4. MelindaK

MelindaK
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the update and the great job you all do on this site. This is still the best site I have found for reviews on campgrounds.

5. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

If you are going to start using terms that I have no idea as to what they mean (See post 2 above with the phrase "Just bumping this..."), I'm not sure I am going to like this "new and improved" version of RVParkreviews.

Using this site and contributing to it these past 6 months or so has become a real hassle. Among other problems I have endured this year: waiting a week or longer for reviews to post (even after the summer rush, I was waiting over a week for my reviews written in October to post); having numerous reviews not post even though I got the message that the review went through; having several of my reviews this year altered/censored/changed with no notification, etc. For example, although my 11/1/14 review posted almost overnight (that's a first this year), I am still waiting for a review I wrote 3 days earlier to post.

6. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

"Bumping" or just "Bump" are common terms used on many Internet forums to indicate that a new post has been added to a thread for the sole purpose of bring it back to the top of the new posts list. It's not unique to this forum by any means.

7. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

QUOTE(Jerry S @ nov 5 2014, 01:24 AM) [snapback]38875[/snapback]

Using this site and contributing to it these past 6 months or so has become a real hassle. Among other problems I have endured this year: waiting a week or longer for reviews to post (even after the summer rush, I was waiting over a week for my reviews written in October to post);

I'm not sure why the delay in posting your reviews is such a personal hassle. It's not as if anyone makes any money from a review being posted. I know the "fans" of my reviews are clamoring to see my new ones but they'll wait however long they need to. :p

8. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Jerry S @ Nov 5 2014, 01:24 AM) [snapback]38875[/snapback]

If you are going to start using terms that I have no idea as to what they mean (See post 2 above with the phrase "Just bumping this..."), I'm not sure I am going to like this "new and improved" version of RVParkreviews.

Using this site and contributing to it these past 6 months or so has become a real hassle. Among other problems I have endured this year: waiting a week or longer for reviews to post (even after the summer rush, I was waiting over a week for my reviews written in October to post); having numerous reviews not post even though I got the message that the review went through; having several of my reviews this year altered/censored/changed with no notification, etc. For example, although my 11/1/14 review posted almost overnight (that's a first this year), I am still waiting for a review I wrote 3 days earlier to post.

What is the big deal about posts taking some time to show? Is it costing you money? Are you doing the editing and posting as a volunteer as the admins are? Why are you complaining about a site that you have, obviously, used for quite a while. The people that do the work behind the scenes are hard working and devote their own time to this site. I doubt seriously that anyone has suffered because your posts took a few days to get posted. The people here should be thanked, not berated!

9. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

14 years give or take for RVPR!...that's not to bad! In this digital age we live in that's certainly a lot of mileage!

So with that said, Thank you old RVPR and to all the the good folks past and present who kept this site going!

Mike

10. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

QUOTE(mdcamping @ Nov 5 2014, 08:13 PM) [snapback]38885[/snapback]

So with that said, Thank you old RVPR and to all the the good folks past and present who kept this site going!

Please don't put us in the past tense! :lol: Most of us have been doing this for a while and expect to continue to do so with the new website! :rolleyes:

11. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Jerry S.,

You are absolutely correct. You and everyone else had to wait over a week or longer for reviews to be posted this summer. This was also true even after the “summer rushâ€￾ was supposedly over because we continued to receive many more reviews than usual well into October. We explained our situation and apologized for it many times. Most reviewers were understanding. I guess over the last 12 years or so we should not have been so efficient with posting reviews in a day or two, then the one week wait would not seem so long and you might not be so critical.

As for your other accusations, I’m not sure they are quite as correct. I have checked, and currently we have no reviews from you in the queue. Everything you have submitted in the last few months has been either posted or, in a few cases, deferred. If you feel you have submitted reviews that are not posted, you will have to tell me what parks they were for so that I can look into it further. Likewise, if you got notices saying reviews were posted when they were not, I will need their names in order to check on them.

Finally, going back through September you have two reviews that were deferred, but in both cases you were sent a notice. The reason for the deferral was explained and you were invited to revise your review and resubmit it which you never did.

FosterImposters likes this.
  12. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

What is the status of the mobile site?

13. Andy R

Andy R
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

QUOTE(Florida Native @ Nov 5 2014, 10:53 PM) [snapback]38888[/snapback]

What is the status of the mobile site?

The new website will be mobile optimized and look great on a mobile. Over the winter we plan to roll out native apps which will be faster and allow offline access to research parks (viewing reviews will still require a connection).

14. Janet H

Janet H
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Folks we ran into a glitch during the conversion that will take more than a few hours to sort out and so we are standing down until next Wednesday. I apologize for the inconvenience but it's better to make sure all issues are addressed before we move.

15. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

QUOTE(docj @ Nov 5 2014, 09:19 PM) [snapback]38886[/snapback]

Please don't put us in the past tense! :lol: Most of us have been doing this for a while and expect to continue to do so with the new website! :rolleyes:

:D I'm expecting all you guys to still be here in 15 years when the 3rd revision of RVPR comes out! :D

Mike

16. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Nov 5 2014, 09:22 PM) [snapback]38887[/snapback]

Jerry S.,

You are absolutely correct. You and everyone else had to wait over a week or longer for reviews to be posted this summer. This was also true even after the “summer rushâ€￾ was supposedly over because we continued to receive many more reviews than usual well into October. We explained our situation and apologized for it many times. Most reviewers were understanding. I guess over the last 12 years or so we should not have been so efficient with posting reviews in a day or two, then the one week wait would not seem so long and you might not be so critical.

As for your other accusations, I’m not sure they are quite as correct. I have checked, and currently we have no reviews from you in the queue. Everything you have submitted in the last few months has been either posted or, in a few cases, deferred. If you feel you have submitted reviews that are not posted, you will have to tell me what parks they were for so that I can look into it further. Likewise, if you got notices saying reviews were posted when they were not, I will need their names in order to check on them.

Finally, going back through September you have two reviews that were deferred, but in both cases you were sent a notice. The reason for the deferral was explained and you were invited to revise your review and resubmit it which you never did.

TX,

Thanks for the on point reply.

I did not complain about the summer rush delays but was annoyed when they continued into October. As you know, I do a lot of reviews (500+ and counting) on this site. The "hassle" is that I like to do my reviews in the same chronological order as my stays. When there are significant delays in these reviews posting, the order gets all screwed up. I tried waiting until the previous review was posted but I would then fall 10 days and as many as 10 reviews (I often one night it for 5-10 days in a row) behind. The deferred reviews just makes this situation worse.

I stayed at the West Memphis KOA in Marion, AR on 10/30 and wrote and submitted a review within a day. I believe I got the acceptance page after submission. Not seeing it posted wasn't an issue until the review I wrote and submitted 2-3 days late, posted overnight. I believe I had this problem (acceptance page, but never posted) with about half a dozen reviews this year.

I have NEVER received any notification of deferred reviews any of the reviews I wrote this year. I may have received one of those last year (or previously). That situation was resolved by the prior webmaster when he agreed that my review should NOT have been deferred. It would appear that the new system does not have my correct contact information. The only personal notice I have gotten from RVParkreviews recently was that confusing note weeks ago about having to change our screen names.

Maybe the new system is not at fault, but I wasn't having these problems previously.

17. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

QUOTE(Jerry S @ Nov 7 2014, 09:06 PM) [snapback]38908[/snapback]

The "hassle" is that I like to do my reviews in the same chronological order as my stays. When there are significant delays in these reviews posting, the order gets all screwed up.

You are correct again. When you look up the reviews that you have done, they are not in exact chronological order; however, I am not sure that any delays in posting contributes to this. I think it has more to do with the date the review is submitted combined with the date of stay. I do not know exactly how that causes reviews to be listed out of order, but I do acknowledge that it happens. Also, I am sure you remember that you pointed this out some time back. I passed your concern along to the previous webmaster, but obviously this problem was never fixed. Maybe the new system will do better.

I stayed at the West Memphis KOA in Marion, AR on 10/30 and wrote and submitted a review within a day.

I can see that you do not have a review posted for this KOA. However, because of getting ready to switch over to the new website, I cannot currently get into the file that contains all of the reviews we have received and that shows what happened to them. I do not know how long this file will be off line to us, but I will do my best to try to remember to check on this review once I have access again. Please remind me if I forget.

I have NEVER received any notification of deferred reviews any of the reviews I wrote this year. I may have received one of those last year (or previously). . . . It would appear that the new system does not have my correct contact information. . . . The only personal notice I have gotten from RVParkreviews recently was that confusing note weeks ago about having to change our screen names.

Maybe the new system is not at fault, but I wasn't having these problems previously.

First just to be clear, we are not yet on the new system. Everything that has happened so far was through the old website. So if you got the notification about changing your display name, then apparently the old system has your correct information. I do not know why you have not received any deferral notifications that have been sent out this year (I know you did not have many), although you say you have gotten approval notices (again another indication we do have your correct info). Once in a while, other members tell us they did not get our message, but based on the number of resubmitted reviews that we get, most reviewers are receiving these notifications. Is it possible yours are going into a spam folder?

I'm sorry I cannot completely resolve your problems at this time, but I will try to do so as soon as I have access to the file again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.