Laundy , Bathhouse Plans

Discussion in 'Park Management' started by lbroset, Nov 7, 2014.

1. lbroset

lbroset
    Expand Collapse

hi all. we are a new rv park in alabama and wanting to build a laundry room and a bathhouse with showers need plans to build. were thinking either a concrete building on a slab or a steel building on a slab.. can anybody please help with plans please! thank you very much.

2. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Hi!

Being in the HVAC trade, by code bathrooms/showers need adequate mechanical exhaust ventilation. Just my opinion, best to over size the ventilation, this will decrease the risk of mold/mildew. This is especially important in a southern environment. A qualified HVAC contractor should be able to size up the equipment.

Hope this helps,
    Mike

3. lbroset

lbroset
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(mdcamping @ Nov 7 2014, 05:20 PM) [snapback]38905[/snapback]

Hi!

Being in the HVAC trade, by code bathrooms/showers need adequate mechanical exhaust ventilation. Just my opinion, best to over size the ventilation, this will decrease the risk of mold/mildew. This is especially important in a southern environment. A qualified HVAC contractor should be able to size up the equipment.

Hope this helps,
    Mike

thank you very much!

4. Luvtheroad

Luvtheroad
    Expand Collapse

My suggestion: don't put in the sensors that turn the lights off after a short time of no motion. I was sitting in a laundry room recently, reading a book while my clothes dried and the lights kept turning off. I'd have to wave my arm around to get them to turn back on. That got old real fast.

5. Tallboy

Tallboy
    Expand Collapse

Instead of a sensor maybe a timer on the lights. Turn the switch type timer. Saw that at a couple RV parks being used in the shower house and the laundry room.

Workamped at several parks that had the building where between the men and women's shower house was a door to a room that ran the length of the shower house, housed the water heaters and air handler, but also the shut off valves for the showers and was able to get to the filters for the air handler. Also was big enough for all the supplies to clean the shower house and it had a slop sink. Amazing on how many campgrounds don't have a slop sink for cleaning the shower house(s).

6. kcmoedoe

kcmoedoe
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Luvtheroad @ Nov 8 2014, 11:21 PM) [snapback]38914[/snapback]

My suggestion: don't put in the sensors that turn the lights off after a short time of no motion. I was sitting in a laundry room recently, reading a book while my clothes dried and the lights kept turning off. I'd have to wave my arm around to get them to turn back on. That got old real fast.

Motion sensors may very well be required by state building codes. Kind of the electrical equivalent to low flow shower heads and minimum flush toilets. I know they are required in at least a few states. It often seems our government overlords leave no stone unturned when dipping into what should be none of their concern.

7. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Speaking of motion sensors... there can be considerable savings. When using them in conjunction with mechanical exhaust and adding a "delay on off" which runs the exhaust for a period of time after the last person exits the showers/bathrooms will help make up for the extra cost to run the equipment.

Used correctly, this can be applied to other energy using devices also

Mike

8. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Asking for suggestions and ideas here is a good thing to do, but I suggest talking to local contractors that have some experience with public bath facilities and are familiar the local building codes and the permit process when it comes to actual planning.

9. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

When we were camping I was often frustrated that there was no place to place shampoo, soap and towel within easy reach when I was in the shower. Also, many times there was no place to put my clothing other than the floor (yuck) while showering.

Now that I manage a CG I suggest you make certain that the place is easy to clean. Our showers here have sliding glass doors and the sliding part is extremely difficult to keep clean.

In planning your showers you need to look at both the needs of the campers and the cleaning staff.

As for the laundry facilities you need space for a folding table, seats, smooth floors that are easy to clean (ours are rough wood) and a room for cleaning supplies.

10. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

QUOTE(dalsgal @ Nov 9 2014, 05:30 PM) [snapback]38923[/snapback]

When we were camping I was often frustrated that there was no place to place shampoo, soap and towel within easy reach when I was in the shower. Also, many times there was no place to put my clothing other than the floor (yuck) while showering.

Defiantly agree with dalsgal.

I would like to add that a separate changing stall with a bench to sit, room to move around, plenty of hooks to hang your stuff and a separation curtain/door that connects to the shower stall that keeps your stuff from getting wet while you are using the shower.

usually when we stay a campgrounds that has what I just described, more often than not we will rate them above average.

Mike

11. Tallboy

Tallboy
    Expand Collapse

Four other campgrounds we workamped at had your own room. Family style bathroom. Had a toilet, sink with mirror, shower, bench, place to put your clothes. Seemed like a lot of people liked them.

12. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

QUOTE(Tallboy @ Nov 10 2014, 01:37 PM) [snapback]38928[/snapback]

Four other campgrounds we workamped at had your own room. Family style bathroom. Had a toilet, sink with mirror, shower, bench, place to put your clothes. Seemed like a lot of people liked them.

That's definitely the kind we prefer.

13. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Tallboy @ Nov 10 2014, 02:37 PM) [snapback]38928[/snapback]

When we traveled with our then wheelchair bound granddaughter, we sought out campgrounds with family style bathrooms so we could more easily tend to her needs.

14. Jim22

Jim22
    Expand Collapse

If automatic light shutoffs' are used, set it up so there is no chance of lights being shut off unexpectedly when someone is in the shower. Possibly an adjustable timer, night lights or motion sensors in appropriate locations would do the job.

This problem has happened to me twice. In one case just enough light came in a window for me to get to the light switch (dripping wet), and in the other case I brought a flashlight; my clothing was wet afterwards, but at least I could see.
    Jim

15. rkw99

rkw99
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(mdcamping @ Nov 9 2014, 08:05 PM) [snapback]38924[/snapback]

Defiantly agree with dalsgal.

I would like to add that a separate changing stall with a bench to sit, room to move around, plenty of hooks to hang your stuff and a separation curtain/door that connects to the shower stall that keeps your stuff from getting wet while you are using the shower.

usually when we stay a campgrounds that has what I just described, more often than not we will rate them above average.

Mike

I agree with this also. Can't have too many hooks. Personally I don't care for a bench because I don't like to touch anything in the showers. I couldn't believe a campground that had no hooks in the showers.