New Site Problems? let us know here..

Discussion in 'CGR Site Admin, News and Announcements' started by Janet H, Nov 13, 2014.

1. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

My neighbor's Kindle Fire came with a printed "Getting Started" sheet. Not a lot of info, but more than enough to get it turned on.

2. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

Docj,

My friend has had a series of small stokes (RIAs) in recent years and has lost most of the vision in his right eye as a result of the first one. Thus, the need for the Kindle. Should I ask him to send you a formal letter of apology (how 20th century) for not being as tech savvy as you, Mr. Compassion. How dare he not know that electronic devices have been coming with little or NO instructions for a whole year! At least he would have recognized the difference between question about a post in the forum and a review.

3. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

Jerry:

No one was criticizing your neighbor but what I said was merely a statement of fact. It's been quite a few years since computers and similar devices contained much more that a one-page "quick start" guide. My expectation is that this is particularly true of devices such as readers which can easily include their instructions as a readable file on the device.

These days many seniors are as familiar as anyone else with computers and electronic devices. I, myself, am a senior and am only a bit younger than your neighbor. Personal computers have been common as household appliances for several decades. For those less comfortable with electronics there are many ways to obtain assistance. For example, our winter campground has weekly sessions for that very purpose as does the nearby community senior center. In both cases the sessions are run by seniors older than me.

No one can expect retailers and manufacturers to change the way they do business. For many products detailed instruction guides are simply things of the past. Often the failure to include a printed guide is a signal that online or embedded instructions are available. I'm fairly confident that if your neighbor had called Amazon, its usually excellent customer service staff would have walked him through turning on his Kindle and getting to the instructions which, no doubt, were available.

One can either grumble about how things are or one can learn to adapt to them; I've found the latter approach far less stressful.

Docj

4. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

Jerry, there was nothing said against your neighbor in what Docj said. Even if there had been how would he have known of your neighbors health issues. It seems that you find fault with almost everything that anyone says here and take every comment as a personal attack. No one has attacked you or your neighbor but you appear to want to attack us all. Perhaps you should relax and realize that the way people respond is, quite often, a reaction to your negative words towards us.

Raylou and HappiestCamper like this.
  5. LifeRebooted

LifeRebooted
    Expand Collapse

I'd like to report a minor issue with different average ratings being shown for the same park on different pages. As an example, if you search for "Pecan Park Riverside", the search results page shows a rating of 6.5, and three stars, with 92 reviews:

https://www.campgroundreviews.com/s...e&region_id=&orderby=cg_id&sort=asc&distance=

If you click on the result to view the details for the RV park, it shows the rating as 6.9, three-and-a-half stars, and 73 reviews:

https://www.campgroundreviews.com/regions/texas/san-marcos/pecan-park-riverside-rv-and-cabins

Love the redesigned site!

6. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

Nice catch; thanks for reporting it.

7. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for working hard to get the new site functional and more stable - and adding features that people have been requesting. New site does take some getting used to compared to old one - but first time I went to old one I had to learn it also.

8. Old Mountain Man

Old Mountain Man
    Expand Collapse

There is a problem with populating the "Campground Overview," "Hookups and Connectivity," "Aminities" and "Recreation" sections of a newly-entered park.

Specifically, the Web form does not ask for that information until after the form has been submitted, and then trying to populate those fields gives no results.

I would like to share what I know about these features of the new parks that I just reviewed.

9. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Here's how that works. After you have clicked on the button to submit your review you will get a screen that asks if the amenities look accurate. There is a short list of amenities provided, but when you click on Suggest an Edit, the full list of amenities is shown. Now you can check amenities that are available at the park or change anything you think is incorrect. When you have finished, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on Save Changes. The changes will then be sent to the admins for review. Once it has been confirmed that the revised list of amenities is correct, it will be posted.

10. Lenore

Lenore
    Expand Collapse

Perhaps others have noted this issue; I haven't read this whole thread. (Your site is my one and only go to page when I'm planning our travels. It has been so helpful over the years.) I am using OS X, Yosemite, on a Mac. After entering the Campground Details page, when I click on "View in Google Maps" I am often taken back to the Home page (the one with the map of the whole US on it and the states listed on the right hand side). Hope you can fix that, as I miss that feature very much.

11. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

I tried this with several CG's and it worked--a Google Maps pop-up opened, so it's not a generalized problem. Please provide a list of a couple of parks where you have experienced the problem; it's most likely a "broken link" issue with those parks.

12. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

As much as we 20th century customers would like, the instruction manual to all of our gadgets are not going to be printed and included with the product. That transcends age and health issues.

Was the original issue that there was no instructions on how to use the new RVPR site? If so, that is a valid point and I suspect that the owner's of the site have taken note of it and absolutely do not consider anyone to be a "stupid customer."

It is very likely that if any apology is warranted here, then it would be one that you might want to consider giving to docj. His was a simple attempt at answering your original concern and it seemed not to have meant any disrespect to you or your friend.

As dasgal alluded to, most of your comments are quite negative. So It would be interesting to know if there is anything that you find positive about this new site.

13. sunnysidecamper

sunnysidecamper
    Expand Collapse

I just tried to write a review and got to step 4 and pressed submit and maybe it took it but it didnt go to a different screen saying review accepted, it just went right back to the screen I was on. Am I doing something wrong ?

14. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

It is possible that you did not do anything wrong. Once in a while we have reviews submitted that do not go through the way they should. At this point you might try submitting your review again, and if you still have trouble you should report it to our Help Desk. Also it will be very helpful if you will let us know what device you are using to access our website along with the operating system and browser and their versions. This would be useful to us in identifying any compatibility problems that may be causing this.

15. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

I've had the same problem multiple times. My last review took 25 attempts. I had an entry in "tips." Finally, I just moved what was in "tips" to the main review and it "went."

16. Tamtam

Tamtam
    Expand Collapse

I noticed on the mobile site some campgrounds say there is only 1 review, however when scrolling down, all the reviews are correctly shown. It's really a minor issue, but thought I'd mention it. I haven't checked to see how it displays it on the full site.

17. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

The next time you run across this, pleased send us the name of the campground, and it would also be helpful to know the device you are using.

18. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

At times the ads loading when I come on the site cause the site to crash. I know the ads are necessary to keep the site going but can the bandwidth be lessened?

19. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

I assume you are aware that there are a variety of browser "extensions" that can be used to block all ads. AdBlocker is probably the best known of these.

20. PugetSound

PugetSound
    Expand Collapse

What is with the grammar lesson from the forum software telling me I use to many commas, dashes, etc.? At the very least there should be a primer to let you know that only one or two commas are allowed per paragraph. Really a turn off to posting of reviews to have software that won't allow you to post until IT has removed what IT determines are to many for one to use.