Where to camp in Maine?

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by camping in the pal, Jan 8, 2015.

1. camping in the pal

camping in the pal
    Expand Collapse

Hello!

I have been using this site to search for campgrounds for a few years, but am new to the forums!

We are from PA and so far, have only camped locally. This summer we'd like to venture out and head north. We are thinking about Maine, but have no idea where to begin! Can anyone suggest a particular city or region or even campground where we should look? My husband and I will be traveling with our two children (7 and 9) and our dog in a pop-up camper. Any direction or suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!
    Marianne

2. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Hi Marianne

Look into the Old Orchard Beach Area, Loads of campgrounds, amusements in the area. Check out this recent Thread about the best campgrounds at OOB

Hope this helps,
    Mike

camping in the pal likes this.
  3. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

For a first trip to Maine be sure to see Acadia National Park. It's in the southern portion of the state so it's not too difficult to get to. You can either stay in the park or in the parks in the vicinity. It's a must see IMHO.

camping in the pal likes this.
  4. MaineDon

MaineDon
    Expand Collapse

Marianne: We've lived in Maine for 35+ years and would recommend any (or all) of three coastal areas: (a) the Boothbay Harbor region, (b) Camden/Rockport, and (c) the Mt. Desert/Acadia National Park area. There is a nice State Park (w/services) at Camden. Mt. Desert Island has a number of campgrounds, but many of them are pretty pricey. Consider staying off the Island in Trenton/Ellsworth, where prices are lower. Most of the campgrounds in Trenton have access to the free shuttle service that will take you almost anywhere in Acadia National Park, Bar Harbor, Southwest Harbor, Bass Harbor, etc. Be forewarned that Mainers consider Mothers Day to Fathers Day as "Bug Season". I recommend visiting in July, August or September. Good travels to you.

camping in the pal and KyDan like this.
  5. Tom

Tom
    Expand Collapse

Acadia is beautiful, and it is all about hiking and bicycling. If your kids would like that, it will be great. Blackwoods Campground is in the park - no hookups, but a great campground. Seaview Campground is another dry campground in the park, but I don't think they allow reservations, drive up only (that may have changed recently). A lot of surrounding campgrounds have hookups.

Old Orchard Beach is a touristy/ boardwalk/ amusement area that young kids would probably have a lot of fun at.

6. vincee

vincee
    Expand Collapse

Ditto on Mt. Desert Island and Acadia National Park. Tons of things to do with the kids (and dog!).
    You also have the touristy town of Bar Harbor to visit. A great close by cg near both, about 3 miles out of Bar Harbor is Bar Harbor Campground. Family run, over 300 sites. They do not take reservations, but usually have room with so many sites available. Pull in, go into office, they'll give you a map and tell you go pick out your site, pull in and set up camp and go back and check in when you have time! Cost wise they are 1/2 or even less than some of the pricey corporate cg's. On the way to BH/ANP stop over for a day or 2 in Portland, Maine. Great seaside city with an old historic port district full of shops, restaurants, pubs and a lot more. My last trip to Acadia my wife and I they headed north on the interstate (95??) to Moosehead Lake area. Not a lot here but a beautiful lake and the moose population is 3 to 1 moose/human! Quiet and restful with opportunities to rent boats etc. on the lake.

7. Happy Camper X2

Happy Camper X2
    Expand Collapse

Maine is huge but we like the coast of Maine the best. Our favorite area is Old Orchard Beach. The main beach is busy and fun, there is a quiet beach at Pine Point, there are amusement rides, water parks, restaurants etc., not far from Portland or on a rainy day Freeport and LL Bean. To the north is Boothbay and Bar Harbor areas, love these as well but as others have said more into the hiking, biking and beauty of it all. Few beaches but there are more fishing boats and seal watching etc. To the south is Wells/Kittery are, beaches, shopping and the like, York is a nice place to visit, day trips to or from Old Orchard are easy.

As for campgrounds, Bayley's, Wild Acres, Powderhorn, Lake Pemiquid and Hadley's Point to name a few. We have done all these in a pop up as well as our current travel trailer.