" What's Up With All This Ranting??? "

Discussion in 'CGR Site Admin, News and Announcements' started by BankShot, Jan 8, 2015.

1. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

After reading a few threads and posts lately regarding the new site, missing reviews, pics not being uploaded "immediately", etc. I find myself somewhat appalled at the attitude of some members. What is it with you folks who don't seem to understand that those who run this site and forum are normal everyday RVer's just like us? Some may even have "real jobs" and aren't retired as many of us are.. Do you really think these folks just sit by their computers 24/7 watching and waiting for our reviews and pics so come in so they can "immediately" post and upload them for the world to see? Come on guys and gals, settle down and smell the roses. We should all be really glad there is a site and forum such as this one whereby we can all share and benefit from each others travels and suggestions, etc. One posting I just read recently is ranting about why their pics haven't been posted at light speed, and they just keep admonishing the administration post after post. For crying out loud fellow member, lighten up, slow down, take a break, whatever, but don't bite the hands that are feeding you/us. I probably shouldn't be butting in here like this but it seems on every forum there are a few that just don't get it? They feel that they should be at the head of the line at all times. Perhaps they should try running a site/forum such as this one and maybe then they will find out that this is a real "job" in itself. Okay, I've said my piece and now I have to go prepare for our next trip. Personally I thank each and every one involved in making this site what it is today for the rest of us......................

Regards to all, Bankshot

PS: I can only imagine some of the responses I will get from this posting but I will just consider the source of where they are coming from and not start a pissing contest............ ;)

mdcamping, dalsgal and nedmtnman like this.
  2. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

I am sure that like anything new there are some bugs that need to be worked out and some people resist change to the bitter end. In time the bugs will get worked out and I will get used to the new format. I am sure the admins here are going as hard and as fast as they can to get this up and going. My thanks go out to them for doing what they do.

mdcamping and dalsgal like this.
  3. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

I am sure that the Admins appreciate BankShot's support and agree with the comments about their willingness to volunteer to do a difficult job that benefits their fellow RVers.

But then there are probably a few who would even take Santa Claus to task for not getting the exact gift they wanted. Which, by the way, this site is a gift for those who rely on making their RVing plans easier.

mdcamping and dalsgal like this.
  4. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

I agree with all comments made on this thread so far. I think the volunteers that do the work here are amazing. There has to be rules to keep any site working properly. The new site isn't quite running smoothly yet but they are working on it. Everything takes time. Why do some think that their reviews and, or, photos should have priority over others posts? You use this site, post on this site and then gripe and complain about not getting things done your way. Patience children....yes...children because that's what some complainers sound like. I give all kinds of praise to those that do the hard work. Your review/photo is nothing compared to what they do keeping this site running.

mdcamping likes this.
  5. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

First off I too appreciate the hard work done by the volunteers that maintain this site. yeah the site will have some bugs, but I know they are doing their best to get the problems worked out.

Unfortunately there are many people with the "me me" attitude that will never grow up.

Mike

dalsgal likes this.
  6. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

I was beginning to think I was a rarity. I have had no problem adapting to the new format. To me, it is a big improvement. Everything is crisp, clear and I find it easy to navigate. I have yet to try and upload a review but I have made a dry run and it does not appear that difficult. As for getting a review posted immediately.......what's the big deal? Does it really matter that it might take a couple of days or even a week or two? These are reviews not Front Page News stories. This is a free service and I find it very helpful. Thanks to everyone for making this site what it is.

Darrell

dalsgal likes this.
  7. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

Maybe those that are complaining could have their fees refunded - oh, wait......

Rollin Ollens likes this.
  8. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

I think that many (most?) of the serious bugs have, by now, been fixed. We're currently at the stage of "tell me again why you designed it this way?" and some of the design revisions that result from that kind introspection may take longer to implement. Fortunately, most of those changes can be slipped in without anyone having to relearn how to use the site.

An example of such a design change is the "new" requirement to put a caption on photos that you submit. Initially, there was no such requirement but that was resulting in, for example, photos of buildings being submitted without any hint of what was inside. A requirement for a caption was a simple fix to this issue.

Much of the ongoing effort has been focused on the "back end" of the website which users never see. The new website provides administrators far more options for collaboratively discussing concerns. However, anytime you create entirely new features you discover that things can be more complex than they first appear to be.

An example of a new feature that has required considerable attention is the "report this review" button. Because reviews can be reported an entire procedure had to be developed relating to what do administrators need to do in response to a report. Should we contact the author of the review? What if he/she doesn't respond? Can we alter someone's review without his/her consent? Should removing a review be an option?, etc, etc. Please don't ask me the answers to all these questions because we are still working out the details of some of them! :) But it does give you of how complex things you might never have thought about can be.

I'm confident that slowly, but surely, all these issues will get resolved in plenty of time for the deluge of reviews that will occur after Memorial Day. One reason for putting the site online in mid-winter was because the admins have plenty of time in the winter to work with the design team to fine tune the system

HappiestCamper likes this.
  9. RV Conus

RV Conus
    Expand Collapse

The information on this site has been valuable to me for years.
    I'm just glad someone took the time to put this together. It has not cost me a dime, and I hope they fund their efforts through ads.

If anyone doesn't like the site, then find an alternative........NOT Available.

Or,

Get the new drug whineAlot, cures every disaster in life.:D, such as new formats on free sites that provide helpful RV information.

A belated thanks to those that put this site together.

HappiestCamper and dalsgal like this.
  10. Gnome de Plume

Gnome de Plume
    Expand Collapse

We now live in a world of smart phones where instant gratification is not only wanted, it is expected and demanded. People are losing the ability to wait patiently. I would submit that at great many folks born after 1989 never developed the ability.