New format frustrating

Discussion in 'CGR Site Admin, News and Announcements' started by bingberg, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

Count me in as a member of the new site advocates. There are still some bugs to work out but I feel comfortable here. Should you decide to use a different site, you will still have a learning curve to contend with. This one is really not that hard.

Darrell

2. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

When you first visited the old site, you had to learn how to use it. Now that it is a new site, learn how to use it.

3. Bad-Air

Bad-Air
    Expand Collapse

I am trying to get used to the new system! So far, I am not overly impressed.. Up until now I have stayed away because of it..

4. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Just keep using the features, going back and forth on the windows... it will grow on you! :)

Mike

5. Snoet

Snoet
    Expand Collapse

The biggest problems I find with the RV Park Reviews format (not in order of importance).
    1. The site defaults to "satellite" mode, when "maps" are easier to read and require lower band width when in our largely poor quality RV Wifi parks.
    2. The ability to zoom using the mouse wheel does not exist, so we have to click click click to zoom into areas.
    3. When travelling in border areas of states or provinces, we have to have two "RV Park Reviews" open, to see parks in the area.
    4. The ability to comment on errors found on RV Parks (not errors on others reviews), but errors that need correcting would be great. Here are some examples. I have found errors of Park map locations, Parks that show no TV cable or Wifi available, but their web site shows they have it.
    As time passes, older reviews become out of date and unless it has a recent review the basic Park information is not updated. We should be able to update these types of information without visiting the park or writing a review.Too often, my wife and I have almost discounted a park because of outdated info, discovered the information, and found a great park.

6. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Thank you for presenting these problems. I can address some of them.

1. You are correct that our maps open in the satellite view, and this may not be to everyone's liking, but there are many members who prefer that view, and if it is set to map view, they might be the ones reporting that it is a problem. It would be interesting to see which view is preferred by most of our members.

2. I use both Internet Explorer and FireFox, and I can zoom with the wheel on the Google maps. However, I cannot zoom with the wheel on our Home page map. Perhaps this can be fixed.

3. It would be nice to be able to view parks in adjoining states. Again maybe this can be fixed.

4. These are handled through our Help Desk. Just click on the Contact Us button at the bottom of each page and report the problem you have found.

Finally we prefer that members at least visit a park (preferably stay overnight) before submitting updates about the park's facilities/amenities because otherwise how will they know what is actually available. We like for reviewers to have first hand knowledge of a park before trying to tell others about it.

Again thank you for your comments. This enables us keep improving our site.

7. Stell@

Stell@
    Expand Collapse

Help! campgroundreviews.com has been my go-to site while traveling for years, but I'm having difficulty with the new format. Specifically:
    - I like using the map view when planning trips. I would use the map to zoom in on an area and make my campground selection from the cities/parks presented. Without the map view presented, I need to drag out my atlas, trace the route, figure out the cities along the route...then...open up the website and begin my research. Does that make sense? What am I missing? Can you please bring back the map view...or make the map view available as an option? Thank you for your consideration.

8. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

If you're not seeing maps at all, possibly you are using a smaller mobile device? For most tablets and computers there is a map view that permits you to see the locations of parks. Unfortunately, phones and smaller tablets will default to a view of the site that lacks maps. Or are you asking for a capability that our map doesn't provide?

9. Stell@

Stell@
    Expand Collapse

I am using an iPad and do not see maps at all. The only search criteria I see is to search by city, and that does not work for my purposes at all. Thanks for any help.

10. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I've heard that on some devices you have to set the screen to landscape mode in order to see the maps.

11. Stell@

Stell@
    Expand Collapse

That worked, thank you so much!

12. okdiver

okdiver
    Expand Collapse

I have used RV Park Reviews for more than 5 years. The old format, albeit it took a little practice to take advantage of all the features, was much better than the current. Current one dropped off lots of reviews. The dots with numbers on the map are seemingly meaningless. Go back to the old program!

13. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I'm sorry you feel this way. None of the reviews were dropped off. All the ones that were on the old site were transferred to this one. Can you give a specific example of a missing review so that we can check it out?

Also the red, yellow and blue circles have lots of meaning. They represent areas where there are a lot of RV parks. Click on the circle and the system zooms in closer to that area until eventually pins are displayed for each park location. Once you see a map pin, you can click on it, and the name of the park will pop up. If you want more information about the park, click on its name. We think this makes the maps easier to use than the old system.

Please let us know if there are other parts of the new system that you would like to learn about,

dalsgal and mdcamping like this.
  14. CFXCH

CFXCH
    Expand Collapse

I can't find any maps of states or provinces with campground locations. Were maps eliminated in new format?

15. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

What kind of device are you using--computer, tablet, smartphone?

16. jimLE

jimLE
    Expand Collapse

im glad that you asked that question texasrver..on account i haven't tried my nook color yet..

17. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

The reason I asked is because on smaller devices, like tablets and smartphones, you may need to set the screen to landscape mode in order to see the maps. But even then we have heard that some of these devices still have trouble.

18. jimLE

jimLE
    Expand Collapse

i had forgotten about landscape..and there's also 2 other modes on my nook..in which their desktop mode and mobile mode.

19. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Wow, I did not know the Nook had all of that. Do any of those modes display the maps?

20. jimLE

jimLE
    Expand Collapse

desktop mode and mobile mode shows the maps.but i don't know about landscape.yet.