How to post a review if CG has never been reviewed

Discussion in 'CGR Site Admin, News and Announcements' started by RickB, Apr 11, 2016.

1. RickB

RickB
    Expand Collapse

We added solar panels to our TT and plan on camping at many Forest Service, BLM & other rustic CG's in the near future. In a couple weeks we plan on visiting a nearly new, rustic Oregon State Park (the largest by size in the state) which has never been reviewed... How do I create and post a review if the park has never been located by GPS, had its amenities (if any) listed, etc from scratch?
    Thanks, Rick

#1 RickB, Apr 11, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  2. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

On the first page of the "submit a review" screen there used to be a link "can't find the campground you want to review?" which currently appears to be missing. I've reported the issue. Give us a few days to fix things.

3. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

That wording is still there. It appears after you have chosen a country and state and is just underneath the box where you would enter the name of the campground. It says, "Can't find the park you're looking for? Add it here." When you click on that link the system asks for more information about the park you want to add. If the city the park is in is not in our database, report that (and any other trouble you might have) to the Help Desk and the city will be added. The Help Desk link is at the bottom of each page and is called either "Contact RVPR" or "Contact Us."

4. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

No, it's not there all the time. Here's what appears on my screen earlier this evening.

review.PNG

Here's what's I see now:

review 2.PNG

Notice the difference. Something is odd.

#4 docj, Apr 11, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  5. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I have just opened the submit review form about half a dozen times and that wording is always there. If I click on the name box the wording disappears temporarily until I choose or type a name in the box. Then the wording re-appears. So far it has worked this way every time I tested it tonight. So something is definitely odd.

6. RickB

RickB
    Expand Collapse

I was able to add the campground I mentioned above - with a bit of effort. May I suggest offering a "help" button rather than "incorrect format"?
    For instance, I entered the GPS coordinates directly from the park brochure but received an incorrect format message. I tried a couple more times (removing spaces, adding hyphens, etc) then opened a new tab and clicked on an existing park to compare the coordinate format. My mistake is that I added the direction (N & W) after the coordinates. A tip such as "numbers only" would have been nice.

I would like to thank the admin group though. The "city" nearest to the CG wasn't on the list so I chose the next closest city when filling out the review form. Admin added the missing city to the list and fixed it in my review.

Rick

7. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

Although I agree that having a help button would be beneficial, it may well be that the coordinates you copied from the park's website were not correctly formatted. If the longitude was stated as a negative quantity then it would be redundant (and incorrect) to then also include a "W" because the minus sign connotes "west longitude". If all you had to do to have the RVPR system accept your coordinates then this was most likely the case.

As is described in the attached article, there are two standard methods of stating latitude and longitude; one is a decimal approach which uses a minus for west longitude and south latitude and decimal fractions of degrees while the other uses the traditional compass rose coordinates with fractions of a degree given as minutes and seconds. You can't mix the two.

longitude.PNG

8. RickB

RickB
    Expand Collapse

You are correct.
    The Oregon State Park brochure had 45.1234567 N, -122.1234567 W. Since I copied exactly the coordinates on the park brochure I was assuming it was correct and the RVPR website was in error. Until I got the "bright idea" of looking at another CG's page to follow the proper formatting I was getting frustrated.

Whether I followed the link you just provided above or my "bright idea", I needed to leave the page I was on to determine the proper formatting.

I stick with my point that a tip would have been nice. Wouldn't it be neat if maybe by hovering over or clicking in the field an example format could be displayed?
    Rick

9. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

I agree that there should be guidance as to the correct format and I've forwarded the suggestion to the programmers.