"RV Parks and Pets???"

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by BankShot, Jul 31, 2015.

1. lina43

lina43
    Expand Collapse

We would love to find a park that doesn't allow dogs or, at least, has a specified pet section. We have been traveling for about 20 years and are getting soooo tired of listening to barking dogs and cleaning up dog poop in our space. Dog owners don't seem to care whose space their dogs do their business in. They just open the door and let Fido go wherever. The story is "our dogs are part of our family". Well, excuse me. You wouldn't leave your "family" shut up in your rv all day while you were out running around. You wouldn't allow your "family" to annoy your neighbors by barking constantly all day at anything that moved. And the parks aren't any better. They have rules that state you can have two dogs under ten pounds. Then someone goes by walking three or four 75 pound dogs. We celebrate when we get a neighbor who has no pets!

JustDon likes this.
  2. parkmanaa

parkmanaa
    Expand Collapse

Our park's pet policy: Up to 2 pets are allowed per site, however the five 'vicious' breeds of dogs are not allowed in our park at any time.
    Very strict leash and pickup law, with bags provided.
    On the lighter side, I am convinced dog owners can't hear their own dogs bark..............

JustDon likes this.
  3. Joseph Leto

Joseph Leto
    Expand Collapse

Unfortunately Pet owners don't like to pick up after There pet, they even take their pets into the woods so They don't have to pick up after them.
    Pet owners need to be more responseable for their pets
    There's policies out there that explain pets and RVing but pet owners don't read them
    I don't understand why pet owners want us to clean up their mess

#23 Joseph Leto, Jun 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
    JustDon likes this.
  4. Roamer

Roamer
    Expand Collapse

We definitely prefer "No Dogs Allowed" parks. We are really tired of RVers that think that their dog is an exception to the rules. They seem to believe that their dogs antics are cute for everyone and that is absolutely not so. We keep close track of "too dog friendly" parks and do not return to them.

JustDon likes this.
  5. FunFinder

FunFinder
    Expand Collapse

My dog is watched like a hawk. She is not allowed to bother others. She never runs off leash in a park. We ALWAYS carry a bag and pick up after her. It saddens me that other irresponsible dog owners give all dog owners a bad name. I'm not afraid to tell any other dog owners about the rules. If we forget a bag, which is rare, we retrace out steps even if it's half mile away, we go back and pick up after our dog. It's too bad that we only hear about the bad dog owners. I have not witnessed what many of you are describing. Maybe we happen to have stayed in parks with some good clientele.

monicaberini likes this.
  6. gemsinger

gemsinger
    Expand Collapse

Private parks have the right to decide many policies including the pet regulations. And that is precisely why we try our best to stay in public campgrounds. They typically charge less for everything. They are often much more beautiful and in some extraordinary locations. We are dog lovers that always act responsibly and perform all the obvious tasks such as picking up waste and controlling behavior issues. Wish I could say the same about some parents with little human beings! Most humans with dog companions care for the dog properly and care about the impact that their dogs make. Aside from the smaller percent of morons who don't care and let their dogs bark, most of us are kind, aware and responsible citizens. Everyone have a fantastic summer and try staying in more public campgrounds this summer.

monicaberini likes this.
  7. juustright

juustright
    Expand Collapse

We have two Large dogs, (Rhodesian Ridgebacks) and they go with us everywhere in our motorhome. We wouldn't think of leaving them in the coach all day. If we want to do human type activities we put them in doggie day care. Also when searching for a park we always check the "Pet Friendly" box. I suppose you could leave it unchecked if you don't want to be around dogs.

gemsinger and monicaberini like this.
  8. jdeal

jdeal
    Expand Collapse

We do not own a dog. When we make reservations we request a site far from dogs as possible. Sometimes our request is honored and other times we get stuck in an area with someone's "baby". This winter our barking alarm clocks would wake us at an early hour and bark forever. Sitting out in the evening for a quiet time was impossible. Park management would "look into it". The pet owners sat there while the dogs greeted every one that walked by. Why should I be forced to confront the dog owners? That's a park management function. Unfortunately this problem seems to be getting worse, we are seeing RVs with more and larger animals. None of these issues are the fault of the four legged animal.

9. monicaberini

monicaberini
    Expand Collapse

My dogs are my family! I would park in the desert on BLM property rather put up with dog haters! That's why I keep solar power and generators! I prefer privacy...:)

gemsinger likes this.
  10. Fixn2gocamp

Fixn2gocamp
    Expand Collapse

We travel with a cat, indoor only, but I have no particular issue against dogs. However, the problem is not the dog but the owner. Its not the "poop scoop" issue I have problems with....its the owner that will not keep his dog on a leash. I could write 10,000 words on the different excuses. I don't like any dog, no matter how big, small, or friendly charging at me when I don't know the animal, nor they me. Increasingly, we look for no pet parks when not in federal or state parks just because we're tired of the parks not enforcing the rules. Increasingly also, I carry pepper spray or other protective device to avoid an unfriendly encounter. Sad....but its out there.

JustDon likes this.
  11. The Childs

The Childs
    Expand Collapse

IF. ALL. PET. OWNERS. WOULD. CLEAN. UP. AFTER. THEIR. PETS. IN. THESE. PARKS, the ones of us who always do wouldn't run into "no pet" issues. If you're not willing to pick up poop, don't have a dog while .RVing.
    I have run into issues of parks not allowing pets and 99.9% of the time, it's because of poop getting left everywhere. It's irritating, but understandable!!

12. Sergent Major

Sergent Major
    Expand Collapse

Pet clean up is the rule in my household - PERIOD. But I do see and realize that this is not the case in all families and honestly I cannot understand it. Do they do the same in their backyard?.. As for noise, both of my dogs are small and if we are away from the RV we leave the TV on for noise abatement (if they can't here it, they won't bark at it), but even with that they don't really bark that much.

13. Paradoxtna

Paradoxtna
    Expand Collapse

I've
    I understand your irritation, but hey, different strokes for different folks. I'm aware of a nudist RV park, but certainly have no desire to go there.
    I too have been bothered by pets who barked constantly when their owners left them alone (and a few times when owners were right there). When we were in a bricks and sticks home, we had the same problem. I, too have stepped out my door into a fresh pile of dog poo. Once again, we had the same problem when in a bricks and sticks home.
    Personally, I have no problem with well behaved pets, rather enjoy seeing them. I have a particular soft spot for German Shepherds and Brittany Spaniels. I do, however, understand how this park could have experienced too many issues with irresponsible pet owners and finally decided to throw up their hands and just exclude all pets.
    I've been in parks where kids, or in some instances adult RVers were a bigger problem.
    To me, a well run park is one where pets and kids are allowed, but if they get out of control, are politely invited to leave and never return.

MarvMarvs likes this.
  14. Holiday Rambling

Holiday Rambling
    Expand Collapse

A sensitive subject for sure! Our beloved Scottish Terrier passed away just 3 weeks so I'm in the grieving process but had to respond to this thread.

We have had two Scottish Terriers over the last 28 years and neither of our two girls were barkers and were very well behaved. We never had an issue or complaint with either one but I've had complaints of my own concerning other campers, OWNERS and their dogs. I rarely see the dog as the problem but the irresponsible owners.

I can certainly understand RV parks becoming pet free due to poop and barking. Why campers think it's ok to leave poop all over their campsite as well as the park is total ignorance, laziness and just simply not caring - they can't be bothered! I find them to also be the ones most likely to let their children run the campground unsupervised.

We recently stayed at a campground in Pigeon Forge, TN that had nothing for the children to do but encouraged campers with pets. It was as if it were built for us! No screaming kids was bliss! I'll take the dogs any day over the kids as long as the owners are responsible and respectful.

To all dog owners - do your part by picking up your dog's poop! Buy a roll of "Dogipots" and keep them in your pockets and then - bend over, pick up the poop - deposit dogipot bag in a trash can! Simple, one, two, three!

Attached Files:

wJaw and JustDon like this.
  15. LeeCA

LeeCA
    Expand Collapse

What the matter and issue really boils down to, is how the management in forces or supervises their rules. If specific rules are in place regarding noise and Pet wastes, then it is still up to management to regulate and control the behavior of pet owners.

16. Whippet mom

Whippet mom
    Expand Collapse

I was a full timer for awhile about 4 years ago. I had 2 medium sized dogs. Never ran into no dogs allowed, but did stay in a few where they had a no pet section. And, almost all the parks had breed restrictions which was usually no Pit Bulls, sometimes a longer list. And, all but a very few had a limit of 2 pets. Many specified in the pet rules that dogs were not to be left alone in the rig. Others had rules about leaving them alone tied outside or having any sort of enclosure to put them, like a x-pen. And, of course the rule that you picked up and disposed of poop properly. The problem is the owner's who did not follow the rules. They are why parks are no allowing dogs if they can fill their park without them. It's why so many motels don't allow dogs. Slowly but surely the responsible pet owner is paying the price for the irresponsible ones.

wJaw, MarvMarvs and JustDon like this.
  17. Newbet

Newbet
    Expand Collapse

Our Furry Child goes with us. We have worked hard to make sure he is a good citizen. He is part of our family. We pick up after him. We try not to use RV Pet Areas because they are rarely attended to by the Park Owners. Of course not all dog owners pick up. But we are not going to expose our dog to all the stuff in the pet area. It's extra work to have an animal and we think it's worth it. I do remind people who don't pick up after their animals to do so. I regularly embarrass my family but maybe the offenders will get the message.

As to hotels that take pets - LaQuinta is always there as are many others.

That RV Park that doesn't take customers doesn't get a nod from us.

18. Kerry W

Kerry W
    Expand Collapse

I have been full-timing for a little over two years now, and I have two dogs with me all the time. One is a female German Shepherd, and the other is a medium sized mixed breed. I constantly carry a roll of poop bags with me and I always clean up after my dogs. When I first started full-time, I was really squeamish about picking up warm dog crap, like a lot of others, but I soon got over it and don't even think about it anymore. Even as a dog owner, my major beefs are with constantly barking, unattended dogs and people who won't clean up after their dogs. I usually winter in southwest Tucson, and the park I stay in is adjacent to another RV Park. There are small paths between the two parks, and I have caught several people from the other park coming over to ours and letting their dogs crap all over our park, never clean it up, and then just haul-butt back to their park. This way they don't have to clean up or foul up their park. Makes me want to throw it at them as they leave! How totally inconsiderate can you get. I would say that 90% of the dog owners that I have seen, have no problem with cleaning up after their dog. The ones that you have to watch out for are the ones who don't full-time, just your average weekenders or vacationers, who do not, and absolutely will not, clean up after their dog. They don't do it at home, and they damn sure aren't going to scrape up their dog's crap while they are on vacation. But, on the upside, most people are really good about it. Now, the incessant dog barking. Who hasn't had to deal with this aggravation? To start with, sometimes people, including me, have places they have to go to, like doctors appointments, museums, restaurants etc.,and a dog cannot be along. I hate to leave my dogs at home, period. But when you have to, and you know your dog may bark, just leave a radio or TV on, down low, and the dog will not hear every outside noise, or feel alone. Most of them bark out of loneliness. I always ask my neighbors if my dogs were barking while I was gone. Sometimes they bark a little, sometimes not at all. But when people leave their dogs alone, day after day, just so they won't have to deal with them, that really girds my grid. I will mention it to them politely before I tell management. Most folks will respond to that consideration and try to work something out. Usually letting a TV or radio on low will do the trick. My dogs are always on their leashes, and once in awhile, someone's dog comes traipsing out, unleashed, friendly or not, and makes for a situation that is quite tense. No attacks, yet, but you never know that when it is occurring. I won't hesitate to kick the slop out of some aggressive acting dog, just to protect me and my dog. When people don't feel that they need to leash their dogs as long as they are near their RV, they are setting up a serious situation. Big dogs rarely misbehave, it's the ankle-biting little yappers who have heaps of guts and no butt, that come charging out to my German Shepherd, or straining on the end of the leash to get at my dog. Call it a death wish, or whatever, they are flirting with disaster. And rather than shutting up their little obnoxious fur balls, they just think it is cute. Now, my Shepherd despises little yappers like that, but she will only snap at them in warning, never hurt them, as they get closer. She is a truly gentle soul, and when aggressively attacked by lap dogs with big yaps, she will warn them away. Meanwhile, the yapper owner looks at me like I don't have my animal under control. We go out of our way to avoid these little canine demons, but some folks just want to be dog friendly with their dogs, and they think everything will just be cozy and nice. Overall, I have virtually no problems with dogs in parks. Virtually all full-timers have pets and they are usually always well behaved. To start a trend of eliminating pets in RV Parks would be a disaster for full-timers as well as misguided parks. Their business will plummet, because people are not going to get rid of their furry children.

wJaw likes this.
  19. RottsNScotts

RottsNScotts
    Expand Collapse

I have only been full timing since February. In March, my 2 year old male Rottweiler was attacked 3 times by 3 off leash small dogs. Twice, they were the same 2 dogs off leash and the third time, it was an accident caused by an untrained, unleashed dog with kids and no barrier.

It took me SIX weeks of hard work to get my male calmed down around other dogs again so he could be shown in dog shows.

Both parks have on leash rules.

Every park I have been to, owners allow, or even encourage, their small dogs to act aggressively towards my Rotties. My female, who is 12 years old, knows to ignore them and my 2 year old did until he was attacked when he just got excited, still no aggression.

Yet it is MY trained, well behaved dogs that are discriminated against most frequently! Fortunately, they are both my service dogs so cannot be excluded but it is SO annoying!

If I see an occasional poop left behind, I figure the owner just didn't find it and clean it up myself as I am usually armed with a pooper scooper anyway; Rottie poops don't always fit in the bags! VBG

However, when I see it deliberately left behind, I am NOT shy about confronting the owner about it - likewise barking dog.

These guys spoil it for all of us!

wJaw and MarvMarvs like this.
  20. TxTat

TxTat
    Expand Collapse

I'm surprised, but then not, at the number of anti-pet sentiments in this thread. I say and then not because I am never surprised at the inconsiderate individuals that we come across in the Unoted States anymore. Before anybody jumps on me for saying that, let me say that I am an American by birth in my fifties and I have traveled much of the globe. I fully understand that it is not the pet that is the problem and I know most of you do too. It's the lack of consideration and lack of self respect that we see emerging as an American trait. It truly saddens me. We used to talk about the French Canadians that flocked to our Jersey shores when I was a teen. Now I see other nationalities talking about Americans the same way. What I think we need is RV parks free of obnoxious inconsiderate people, but let's not blame the little furry friends.

wJaw, gemsinger and MarvMarvs like this.